First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 718 Boxster, Hydro Blue 2 door
Occupation
sales
Wife washed it….still seems to work fine, which shocked me!

can I trust it???

thx
Sponsored

76_iron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ5
Mine went through the wash, I wasn't so lucky. Only the RFID chip still works.

[DELETED USER 82058]

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon 2-Door
Mine is still going after a wash. It did randomly set off my alarm for about 12 hours.

Zoopy123

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
Occupation
Media Services
Mine went thru the wash and now if I push to lock the Jeep it autostarts. Oh, and it drains the key fob battery down to zero within a couple days...

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Wife washed it….still seems to work fine, which shocked me!

can I trust it???

thx
It's probably fine. There is a rubber gasket that should help. Open it up like you are going to change the battery. Clean and dry it out if there is moisture. Some electrical contact cleaner spray from home depot will probably be nice if it was sudsy in there.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@petoskeystone
@76_iron
@Bob Burd
@yellolab

You probably know the RFID chip and cut key from that damaged fob is still very useful right. You can use the RFID chip and the cut key in regard to a Threedom Waterproof Sport Key build.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/💦-available-now-waterproof-sport-key.91154/
Jeep Wrangler JL Key fob waterproof? 20220429_174543

FYI ... (and I am not saying white lies are aok)

For those reading this thread.... more often then not, if you let the FRESH water damaged/bad factory fob dry out for a week or two and then go to the dealer and just say........ "It just stopped working" that the dealer will under warranty get you a new fob and reprogram it for you at no cost.

Guys/gals that do this do not volunteer they got the fob wet ... and if asked if they got it wet, they just say no.. There is no way the dealer can tell just by looking at it.

Yes, occasionally, Stellantis will ask the Jeep dealer to return the damaged fob to Stellantis, but this is rare.. and even then, they cannot tell for sure what caused the fob failure. Dealer is not stupid though.... but reality is they probably don't care as Stellantis is footing the bill.

OH, if you ask the parts dept to please give you that old damaged fob back if they do not have to send to Stellanits, they may just give it back to you at no cost. That waterproof, undamaged, programmed RFID chip and cut key are nice to have,

Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Mine died in the wash. I tried to dry it out to revive it but to no avail.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Funny this thread popped up, I just had a problem last weekend.

I ended up having my keys on me when I jumped into a river. They were submerged for maybe, I don't know, 5 minutes.... To my surprise they worked when I got out. I stopped off on my way home and they started acting weird. The unlock button seemed to lock. The lock button seemed to unlock. It crossed my mind water got in them.

When I got home I popped the keys open and it looked dry. I took the board out and there was some water on the other side (button side) of the board. Sprayed some DeoxIT on it and it's been sitting drying out for 3 days. I'll probably give it a few more until I put the battery back in and try it out.

Bob Burd

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snwburd.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@petoskeystone
@76_iron
@Bob Burd
@yellolab

You probably know the RFID chip and cut key from that damaged fob is still very useful right. You can use the RFID chip and the cut key in regard to a Threedom ...
I simply used the damaged fob as a hide-a-key. If i lose my good fob, i can get this to open the doors (setting off the alarm) and starting the vehicle (turning off alarm).
Sponsored