First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
My first and last Jeeps we’re both YJ so been a while. Come summer the soft top and its rails came off along with the doors. Nothing more than a bikini top and on days I knew it was going to rain the doors went back on just to protect myself from side rain. Didn’t care about the interior. Worse case I shears had a towel or shami to dry my seat for the ride home.

Fast forward twenty plus years and I’m curious as to how I can go topless. Not in my youth so not going that crazy but I’d like to leave the hardtop at home with doors and go wheeling or fishing with nothing but a bikini top as backup.

I can cover my seats. Probably going leather. Can probably cover my steering wheel. Carpet is coming out day one. How waterproof is the dash and nav screen from rain. It can pour and when it does it can go sideways.

Jeep makes claims but I’ve failed at finding concrete evidence but will keep searching. Want to enjoy my Jeep as a Jeep should. So my approach might followed how others will and we can all help each other out.
Sponsored

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Crickets? No one can help?

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
No help here, but interested in the answer, and in pics with the carpet out .

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've never seen it published. All I have heard is word of mouth from salesmen that it's all waterproof, including the touch screen. Until I see it published, I am going to do whatever I can to keep rain off my dash. Takes very little water inside a dash to make a CAN-BUS wiring architecture vehicle go haywire and act nuts.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Thought I read they used marine wiring and on a video there was mention of water resistant screen but haven’t see any mention of IP68 or similar. The Alpine JK retrofit is IP53. Part of my question is helping me decide if I get the factory 8.4 or wait for Alpine to make available the JL version of their 209-WRA.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious to see what Jeep has actually confirmed.

I remember in a video one of the developers was talking about how they left it out in the rain all night but I don't recall them saying anything concrete to the affects of YES it's fine to leave the tops off in the rain.

CZ 75

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I treat mine like it's not waterproof. I'd love to see someone take a guinea pig JL and drench it to see what happens.

Grimm_E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
I've never seen it published. All I have heard is word of mouth from salesmen that it's all waterproof, including the touch screen. Until I see it published, I am going to do whatever I can to keep rain off my dash. Takes very little water inside a dash to make a CAN-BUS wiring architecture vehicle go haywire and act nuts.
They could make the infotainment system waterproof like Samsung does with their newer cell phones, but it has to happen at the point of manufacture so Jeep or the place where they source their systems would have to do it. It would likely add a couple of hundred to the price but water would no longer be a problem.

NCSUSTATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
My salesperson told me they put the jeep in a misting room for 12-24hrs and it needs to turnover afterwards...fwiw

Sponsored

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
My salesperson told me they put the jeep in a misting room for 12-24hrs and it needs to turnover afterwards...fwiw
I think that was to test the push button ignition but haven’t seen enough explanation of what exactly was exposed. I don’t believe a single word a salesman speaks. Either telling you what one wants to hear or clueless and talking out of their bottom.

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
My Jeep is being exchange bc it was a lemon. I’m diving the Jeep I’ll turn in until the new one is built.

It got caught doors and top off during a flash storm at 5am. Probably was 5-10 min hard rain until I woke up and flipped the top up. Everything worked great, just wiped it down. The leather seats did seem to wrinkle a little.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep is being exchange bc it was a lemon. I’m diving the Jeep I’ll turn in until the new one is built.

It got caught doors and top off during a flash storm at 5am. Probably was 5-10 min hard rain until I woke up and flipped the top up. Everything worked great, just wiped it down. The leather seats did seem to wrinkle a little.
My understanding is that it has to have the same issue/problem repeatedly that is never resolved to be a “lemon.” Out of curiosity what was the issue with your JL that made it a lemon?

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
No help here, but interested in the answer, and in pics with the carpet out .
I too plan on removing carpet, did so in my JK and bedlined the whole inside of tub, would love to see pictures of the tub without carpet to see what the finish quality is on the JL. Hoping my 2 door is built soon......
Sponsored