Waterproof Interior

Rontow

First Name
Pennsylvania
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vespa
That’s good to know. Same as my YJ, although, I recall seats were vynil and I never bothered to check the seat bolts. However, now that you mention it. I’ll make the same upgrade in the JL.

This is why I opened this thread. Ideas to make it waterproof or at a minimum as waterproof as possible.
You must be careful swapping out the steel seat bolts for a softer metal stainless steel.the stainless steel bolts will shear off Before a steel bolt in a accident .
Sponsored

Stuweeks

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
My JLUR jut got POURED on Sunday! Top and doors off. Probably a good 15 min of very hard rain. It’s all dried off and looking good now. Everything works.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
You must be careful swapping out the steel seat bolts for a softer metal stainless steel.the stainless steel bolts will shear off Before a steel bolt in a accident .
Didn’t know that. Scrap that idea.

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I’m going to lineX the interior as well. Within 5 years I will do the exterior and retask mine to strictly off-road and just fun driving. At that point I need waterproof. Top will be sold. Going all natural. Jeep that is. :)
Are you getting the interior done soon?

SeekRest

First Name
Laurence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Got caught in a pretty heavy shower over the weekend with the panels out.
The touch screen was erratic and some areas unresponsive after troweled dry.
After sitting for 15 minutes or so, all worked well. I’m still concerned though, as the issue wasn’t just the outside of the screen.

No visible water intrusion, which was a good sign.

One note, and I was embarrassed myself to notice it - the media hub (usb plug) is not water tight.
Don’t be an idiot, and unplug the phone when it’s raining...

A03374FD-DD1A-41BC-814F-2E26041F676E.jpeg

332C936A-C4BA-4A4A-8592-765512FBC4CE.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Are you getting the interior done soon?
Need the Jeep first. Lol

Not doing anything radical until I have enough miles to confirm I don’t have a lemon. One bad experience taught me that. Then this will likely be the first and might just at move forward with Linex the outside as well so all is protected.

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Got caught in a pretty heavy shower over the weekend with the panels out.
The touch screen was erratic and some areas unresponsive after troweled dry.
After sitting for 15 minutes or so, all worked well. I’m still concerned though, as the issue wasn’t just the outside of the screen.

No visible water intrusion, which was a good sign.

One note, and I was embarrassed myself to notice it - the media hub (usb plug) is not water tight.
Don’t be an idiot, and unplug the phone when it’s raining...

A03374FD-DD1A-41BC-814F-2E26041F676E.jpeg

332C936A-C4BA-4A4A-8592-765512FBC4CE.jpeg
That’s not good. Might delete considering the factory Nav and wait on Alpine to provide a retrofit solution. Assuming they go that route.

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
This video is a review of the waterproof seat covers on a JK (no infotainment system), but in it you can see how much abuse a Wrangler can take.

This is an opening into the seat from the side, because of the airbag. Safety first but I don’t 100% trust the water tight integrity as much as I would on the older styles due to the gaping hole in the side. My first wrangler, I’d like to enjoy it as my luxury go cart :) can’t wait to get the rear seat covers and then rip the carpet out

image.jpg

OP
OP

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
This video is a review of the waterproof seat covers on a JK (no infotainment system), but in it you can see how much abuse a Wrangler can take.

Had seen that. What inspired this thread. Still have my doubts. The new JL might just be too civilized. Don’t know. I’m hoping not.

Sponsored

Zo6

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2017 Challenger SPS 392 2017 JK Rubicon Hard Rock
Occupation
Engineering Professor Retired
My first and last Jeeps we’re both YJ so been a while. Come summer the soft top and its rails came off along with the doors. Nothing more than a bikini top and on days I knew it was going to rain the doors went back on just to protect myself from side rain. Didn’t care about the interior. Worse case I shears had a towel or shami to dry my seat for the ride home.

Fast forward twenty plus years and I’m curious as to how I can go topless. Not in my youth so not going that crazy but I’d like to leave the hardtop at home with doors and go wheeling or fishing with nothing but a bikini top as backup.

I can cover my seats. Probably going leather. Can probably cover my steering wheel. Carpet is coming out day one. How waterproof is the dash and nav screen from rain. It can pour and when it does it can go sideways.

Jeep makes claims but I’ve failed at finding concrete evidence but will keep searching. Want to enjoy my Jeep as a Jeep should. So my approach might followed how others will and we can all help each other out.
I have 2018 JLUR leaked from panel over Radio .

Xzius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite
Got caught in a monsoon of a rain on Sunday. Everything was off and in storage back in my garage at home. There was rain coming in from every direction. I couldn’t hardly see the road at one point, and had it not been for being able to see the tail lights of the vehicle in front of me, I may have pulled over. We were in the rain for about 25 minutes. We finally made it out of the storm and still lacked about 45 minutes till we got home. Fortunately, the sun came out for the remainder of the ride home. Once I got in I removed the slush mats and put a fan over everything. I noticed today (2 days later) the carpet was still very much wet so I borrowed a friend’s wet/dry vac and probably got about 1.5 gallons of water out from the carpet. Initially the radio came on and seemed to work fine; however, I had to turn the Jeep off at one point and when I turned it back on - nothing. Hopefully the radio/dash will continue to dry out and will work fine, fingers crossed. Now I’ve got to add rhino liner and neoprene seat covers for the interior to my list of things. Now I just need to find a way to make more money...
Sponsored