Water Depth Check?

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
How do you check how deep the water level is before you go driving through it when on a trail?

They always say check the depth, and I can understand why. I suppose you can find a big stick and jab it in the water, but it seems like that's not really a great way. The other thing you can do is walk it, but I can see that getting nasty, cold, muddy, and not a great way to hose off.

Is there anything that can be done to check the depth easier? Lead weight on a fishing pole maybe? Just trying to think of a way to determine it easier and safer.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Sticks are the best way. If you can get it to stick straight up, then just drive over it when you go through.

Also, throw a rock. You'll eventually gauge a go/no go based on its sound.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
How do you check how deep the water level is before you go driving through it when on a trail?
I always get at least second in line.

SilverSurfer

First Name
Heinrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 3.6 8-speed Auto
Rocky conditions and water - You do not only check the depth, you also need to make sure there are no deep holes, rocks or logs in the path your wheels will travel. My rule here is if you cannot walk it then do not drive it. Get out of your Jeep walk the right side wheel track through and back on the left wheel track.

Mud and water is a different story. The depth of the mud is just as important as the depth of the water. A stick works best in this case, a decent size stick, you need to jab the stick into the mud to see how deep the mud is and what is under the mud that can assist traction once your vehicle sinks through the mud.

Lastly, identify possible winch points, get the winch recovery kit ready before you cross.

Sponsored

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Thanks all for the replies!!! It sounds like all the suggested ideas are similar to what I had. I saw some cheap waders at bass pro for about $100. I also agree that if you can't walk it, you shouldn't drive it.

I think I may get the cheap waders just in case. But I still like my invention of a fishing pole and just drop it in. :D

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
Walk it. Dan Grec just posted a great video this week with 30 river crossings where you can see him walk across, explain his approach, etc.:

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
I've been using my traction board for mud and water, figure i can put a good bit of force with it down to see how much it subsides (not that it's comparable to a vehicle weight, but better than a stick).

rubiria

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
A rainy day in the NH Trails, I found myself walking thru water holes in my knee high Hunter Rain Boots. As long as the water doesn’t go past the top of my Boots and it’s clear of rocks and branches, I’m good to go.

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I always get at least second in line.
This-let some other schmuck “test the waters”. Also note that water may andoften does have mud under it😳24” of water with 8” deep mud will take you a lot deeper than the water level!

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
This-let some other schmuck “test the waters”. Also note that water may andoften does have mud under it😳24” of water with 8” deep mud will take you a lot deeper than the water level!
Yep.. Good times. Nice to test out all the recovery gear too.

Jeep Wrangler JL Water Depth Check? 20220316_175400
Sponsored