Sponsored

6spd Water Fording

Truckn

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon V6 6spd Manual || 1989 Toyota Pickup 4x4 SR5 V6 5spd Manual
Hey All,

When fording water with a manual transmission, I've heard (via The University of Youtube) that if you clutch-in while fording water that water can rush into the clutch and ruin it.

1. Is this true for the JL/JLU Rubicon or was some preventive measure made by Jeep?

2. If I had to clutch in while fording, would the issue present itself immediately such as a slipping clutch or electronics issues? Or would this be something that would show up later?

3. How to repair any damage? Is it a big deal? Is it just something to keep an eye on, or does it require immediate attention? Can I do it or do I need a shop?

Thanks!
Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
My buddy has had to put in his clutch during water crossings in his JK. Water was half way up the door so safe to say water got it. I do not know if the JL is the same as the JK but what I would do if it happened to you is drain and refill with new fluid. Idk how long he waited to change his fluid but he replaced the clutch probably 2 years after this due to having around 80k miles/ wear and tear of a lot of off roading.

Changing the fluid is pretty easy so I would start there and probably not worry too much about it if it happens to you.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
The clutch fluid is a closed system...so I don't see why you would have an issue. The friction disc may get wet? But it should dry out rather quickly.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
The clutch fluid is a closed system...so I don't see why you would have an issue. The friction disc may get wet? But it should dry out rather quickly.
The bellhousing isn't sealed so... don't do many water crossings myself but never had a problem with sane levels of water in my rare cases.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
The bellhousing isn't sealed so... don't do many water crossings myself but never had a problem with sane levels of water in my rare cases.
Correct. The disc may get wet, but the hydraulics are all sealed.

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
The possibility exists, but I'm not sure the details. Years ago at an event I watched a group of 20 somethings in a brand new 2012 JKU Rubicon come back on the end of a strap. they were playing in a mud hole and somehow bricked the transmission because they clutched-in while in the midst of the mudhole. they finally got it started and headed home after that. Looked like the driver's first new vehicle after getting his first decent job out of school. Shame.

Of course, that's a rookie mistake. If you've got a manual transmission you really shouldn't be shifting gears on the trail like you do on the street, especially in 4low, and definitely not in a water crossing- ease in, and apply just enough throttle to keep the bow wave in front of you, and keep forward motion. Select your gear before entering the obstacle.

Anyone telling you to shift like you would on the street in 4Low, on the trail, or anyone telling you to go full send, just wants to see some carnage or is an idiot.

Beebe Senior

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
The possibility exists, but I'm not sure the details. Years ago at an event I watched a group of 20 somethings in a brand new 2012 JKU Rubicon come back on the end of a strap. they were playing in a mud hole and somehow bricked the transmission because they clutched-in while in the midst of the mudhole. they finally got it started and headed home after that. Looked like the driver's first new vehicle after getting his first decent job out of school. Shame.

Of course, that's a rookie mistake. If you've got a manual transmission you really shouldn't be shifting gears on the trail like you do on the street, especially in 4low, and definitely not in a water crossing- ease in, and apply just enough throttle to keep the bow wave in front of you, and keep forward motion. Select your gear before entering the obstacle.

Anyone telling you to shift like you would on the street in 4Low, on the trail, or anyone telling you to go full send, just wants to see some carnage or is an idiot.
Yeah, once I'm in 4 lo I am pretty much in the gear I am in until I am in a position to do otherwise. Pretty much single gear it, single speed it from that point on. Do it right and the clutch is not needed.

OP
OP
Truckn

Truckn

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon V6 6spd Manual || 1989 Toyota Pickup 4x4 SR5 V6 5spd Manual
Thanks everyone, sounds like good advice, best to select your gear before and be consistent with speed.

I was just curious about the consequences if I were forced to stop for some reason in the middle.

What I'm reading is, don't worry about it too much, disc may get wet, but no big deal, possibly change the fluid but seems unnecessary?

Thanks all!
Sponsored