Washing the Jeep

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
chamois for sure. i hate those micro fiber cloths.

i am waiting to book an appointment with a friend of mine who does professional detailing and restorations.
i am going to get a two stage paint correction with clay bar and ceramic coating. then water, mud and bugs will just fall off with nothing more than a simple rinse with a garden hose.
cost for this up here is between 7 and 8 hundred bux canadian, but well worth it. likely much cheaper for you guys in the states.

https://www.facebook.com/hutchinsonrestorations/
Sponsored

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
I use some of the larger waffle towels and 2 towels will easily dry off my JL if I'm in the shade. I always follow it up with my leaf blower and get all the water out of the crevices with a smaller microfiber. Something like below is what I use. Not those exact ones, but similar. They absorb a LOT of water.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0755FWFD9/ref=psdc_15718721_t2_B01F6KPL6Q

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I started using a leaf blower to dry after a wash. Works much better than towels, avoids scratches and get the water out of all the tight areas.
That's what I do. Leaf blower if I'm washing in the driveway. Or, just natural air dry while cruising down the road if I wash in town.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I use a synthetic chamois. Just keep wringing it out. If you’re hard core, you can buy a water deionizer which leaves it spot free. I bought one for washing my RVM and it is truely spot free drying. You just have to justify the cost of the unit, and buying/disposing of resin. My driveway has very little shade, so this is a great help to keep my cars spot free

https://www.amazon.com/CR-Spotless-...443049&sr=8-5&keywords=deionized+water+system

Sponsored

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Have been using 3 microfiber towels to get the job done. Can't believe I didn't think of starting with the leaf blower myself. This will now be added to the weekly routine :like:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
@Shots
I have a couple of the Absorbers you speak of. They work great... but, less finish damage using a blower and Mico fiber towel.
Funny because I never even thought about a leaf blower to dry with until this thread. Though I'm not worry about damaging the paint with the Absorber, because the paint better be clean (I just washed it after all).

i don't understand what you mean by "wash your jeep". i always thought of dirt as paint protection
Ha ha. Yeah I've seen plenty of those Jeeps around. In some cases their paint is super protected.

I use a synthetic chamois. Just keep wringing it out. If you’re hard core, you can buy a water deionizer which leaves it spot free. I bought one for washing my RVM and it is truely spot free drying. You just have to justify the cost of the unit, and buying/disposing of resin. My driveway has very little shade, so this is a great help to keep my cars spot free

https://www.amazon.com/CR-Spotless-...443049&sr=8-5&keywords=deionized+water+system
I did that for a black Ram I had back in '07. Worked really well, but seemed kind of expensive after a while. Works great for a dark paint in a sunny area though.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
When i try to do one panel at a time its impossible to not spray other panels and then your re-drying previous panels, etc.... I live in Florida so drying quick is important, i ijust wish it was as easy as "one panel at a time"
You don't spray with a rinseless wash. You just wet the microfiber and go. I live in TX, in San Antonio. Our water is 20+ GPG of hardness. Even softened water (which I have on my car-wash faucet) leaves deposits because it's replacing 20+ GPG with salt. Rinseless is the only way I can go and avoid bad spotting.

I use one microfiber per panel to wash, and a single large microfiber towel to dry. Works like a champ, and I might use 1/4 gallon of water per wash. If my vehicle is extremely dirty, I'll blast it with a pressure washer first, but that's extremely rare.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
I detail cars for money on the side gets yourself a large microfiber towel and use a drying aid such as meg's fast synth wax or something like that a quick mist of it while your drying can help or a blower of some sort are the best ways.

Honestly tho if your looking for spotless esp on a darker color I always go over the car with a quick detailer once I've completely dried it anyway to get any leftover streaks because I want it flawless when its picked up.

Mckess37 high gloss detailer spray actually has some of the same silica magic that's used in their coatings and makes a great finishing product. It's also what's recommended to be used after washing a vehicle with their coating on it for that reason.

Zazoh

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting-Gray
Occupation
Software Engineer
I just use some retired bath towels. It usually takes two large ones. The only issue is the lint left behind. For that, i just do a quick swipe with a dry towel. Fast and easy.
same

Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
If you take the cost of the DI unit out, it is about $50 of resin for about 800 gallons of water. I get about 9 months of washes for two cars and my RV.

Funny because I never even thought about a leaf blower to dry with until this thread. Though I'm not worry about damaging the paint with the Absorber, because the paint better be clean (I just washed it after all).

Ha ha. Yeah I've seen plenty of those Jeeps around. In some cases their paint is super protected.

I did that for a black Ram I had back in '07. Worked really well, but seemed kind of expensive after a while. Works great for a dark paint in a sunny area though.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
One more tip to throw in the mix.

If you're doing a wash at home, when you're done with the wash and rinse, take the nozzle of your hose and let the water from the regular hose nozzle just run over the car. It sheets off this way, and reduces the amount of the water holding to the paint.

I read this somewhere and it really does make a difference.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I use a cordless Ryobi leaf blower, works awesome. Then towel dry with a good microfiber. Best towels i have ever used are "The rag company" on amazon. A good microfiber will not get hung up on your hand when you rub across it.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Leaf blower... gets inside all those little spaces...but there's always ...

Sponsored