Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
I just use some retired bath towels. It usually takes two large ones. The only issue is the lint left behind. For that, i just do a quick swipe with a dry towel. Fast and easy.
If I might suggest purchase the Absorber it works well soaking up water and won't leave swirl marks . Normally bath towels will leave swirls in the clearcoat .Just saying !
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
OK, which one of you washing experts wants to come get the bird crap off my soft top?! :cwl:

Just kidding, but a bird really did bomb my top, yesterday, and I’m not looking forward to scrubbing it off in the cold!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I learned the leaf blower trick from my days of washing my motorcycles.
For a zillion years it seems, I have been using either an air compressor hose with a nozzle or a leaf blower, to blow rinse water off my Harley..... and off my cars and trucks and off the lawn mower and a whole slew of other things... 8-)

CaddyshackGopher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Wash one panel at a time using a good rinseless wash like Optimum No-Rinse. You dry one panel at a time, after washing, and life is good.
Agreed. I also had mine ceramic coated which makes washing w/ ONR a breeze.

Sponsored

CaddyshackGopher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
chamois for sure. i hate those micro fiber cloths.

i am waiting to book an appointment with a friend of mine who does professional detailing and restorations.
i am going to get a two stage paint correction with clay bar and ceramic coating. then water, mud and bugs will just fall off with nothing more than a simple rinse with a garden hose.
cost for this up here is between 7 and 8 hundred bux canadian, but well worth it. likely much cheaper for you guys in the states.

https://www.facebook.com/hutchinsonrestorations/
I just did my second ONR wash after getting it ceramic coated a few weeks ago and am amazed at how easy washing the Jeep is. I was skeptical as it was $800 but so far it’s looking like a solid investment.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
How long should we wait till the first wax job on the jeep ? doesn't the paint need to cure ?

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
I will come back to this thread in the spring. Right now it's winter in Ohio, why bother.
Winter, it was 60 degrees yesterday ;-). Washed the Jeep yesterday after work.

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
$19.95 a month for the most comprehensive package at a drive through car wash one mile from my house. I could go through multiple times a day. I know about the pitfalls but the convenience, price, and time saved make it worth it.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
How long should we wait till the first wax job on the jeep ? doesn't the paint need to cure ?
I always heard 6 months, but I don't know if there's any truth to it or not. Plus, that was 20+ years ago so technology (such as paint materials, application, etc) may have made that something that doesn't need done anymore.
Anyway, I'd say 6 months or more is safe, but maybe soon. Don't know for sure though, but someone here probably does.

Winter, it was 60 degrees yesterday ;-). Washed the Jeep yesterday after work.
Ha ha. Yeah, and snow on the ground today. The unusually warm weather was nice while it lasted.

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I use a synthetic chamois. I used to use actual leather hide chamois, but the synthetic one works better. I'm sure there are a ton of variations, but I use "The Absorber" (LINK). You can probably find them at most automotive stores, but they're on Amazon for $12, and I've been using the same one for years, without it losing effectiveness.

I don't do the 2 handed drape and drag like they show on commercials. I guess that works, but it seems like that would only work on the hood. I just wad it up like a normal chamois, and wipe the water away. It gets wet, you wring it out, and wipe again if needed. Some times it takes two passes. For example, I'll wipe the entire hood, which gets the majority of the water off. Wring out the "towel" then wipe the hood again for a dry surface. Areas where the water doesn't pool, like on the doors, will only take one pass.
When I'm done, I wring out the absorber, roll it up and store it in the tube. I use it damp, just like a leather chamois.
The problem with chamois are they remove wax.

MidMo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ / 2001 WJ / 2017 Ram 3500HD / 2019 JLU Moab
The body shop folks told me that auto manufacturers moved to water-based paints years ago. Besides the reduced environmental impact and cost of paint, the cure time of the paint is reduced dramatically. By the time your Jeep was delivered to you the paint was fully cured and can be waxed. I plan on using a sealant first then a couple coats of wax when my Jeep is finally here.

MidMo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ / 2001 WJ / 2017 Ram 3500HD / 2019 JLU Moab
I also use a blower to remove as much water as possible. Chase all the water streaks the blower leaves with a plush microfiber and your Jeep will be dry in no time and water spot free. :rock: The less you drag anything over paint the better...

Timmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited MOAB - 2019 RAM Limited
I squeegee quick to get the bulk, then a quick leaf blower. I use 1-3 microfibers after that.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Been using a blower to dry jeeps and choppers for years. If you have one of those cheap shop vacs with the removable motor that becomes a leaf blower they work great. Plus it is shop bacs policy to send out one free replacement motor for free. Just tell them that your motor is weak or making noises. Then you get a dedicated car dryer.
Sponsored