First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Reading this thread makes me glad I didn’t buy the Plat version of the Zeon... not I could just find a way to lock the spool...
Sponsored

Go4Low

First Name
Jorel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
This stinks guys. I considered this when I was looking to upgrade our winch and decided to go with the regular zeon 10-s. I read somewhere about the poor battery life and having to charge it weekly and steered me away. It’s a shame because they really have excellent feature on it. A wired backup should’ve been a no brainer for them

brett
[/QUOTE]

I've actually asked a representative at WARN Industries if there is a known way to wire into the winch as like a backup...he said there is no way to do that. This makes my failed remote the only thing that can make the winch operate.

GeoTracker

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I have done all sorts of experiment between the two remotes and it goes dead in about a week. The send remote lasted a little longer.

Today I was hundreds of miles away from home, I needed to use my winch and the remote wouldn't even work plugged up.

It's not even been two months since I bought my winch and I've come to the conclusion that it is basically dead useless weight on my vehicle, that serves no purpose.
Wow that sucks. Push Warn for a new battery if you haven’t already. Mine at least powers up on USB when dead.

Is Warn on this forum?

Go4Low

First Name
Jorel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
From what I am experiencing I highly doubt that a new battery will work. It appears that there is an electrical problem with the remote or the batteries used in the remote is useless for the application.

For the amount of money for this winch, I don't want to mess with anything in the remote. I don't want the next thing to be a fire.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Well known problem. Its honestly not worth the extra money or liability on the trail. Thats why i have a trad zeon. The wireless option seemed stupid to
Me and not needed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Google Data Center Maintenance Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
The other day I finally received the new battery Warn sent me. I'll get it installed this week.

Additionally, I had no problems syncing and using the extra remote I bought, so that is a solution, but it's not a good one considering the price tag on the new remote (~$150).

Go4Low

First Name
Jorel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The other day I finally received the new battery Warn sent me. I'll get it installed this week.

Additionally, I had no problems syncing and using the extra remote I bought, so that is a solution, but it's not a good one considering the price tag on the new remote (~$150).
I am wary of any solutions that involves WARN sending another battery or remote.

For the price of this winch, it would be totally unfair for the customer to buy anything to make it function.

From what I've experienced with my remote, anything short of a redesign or physical fix, seem like a swindle.

Kansascoast

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JKU, 2drJL
The problem is not the battery. Something in the circuitry is draining the battery, even when the remote is off. I have had four different batteries and a different remote and all have have ended up dead within a couple of weeks of sitting unused.
The last time I had this problem I contacted Warn and talked to Tom Sommers...(not sure about the spelling of the last name) and he acted like I was an idiot and as though this was a “new” problem to him. I then got on the Toyota Tacoma forum and found that a number of people have had the same problem. One even mentioned talking to Tom Sommers about it. Anyway...seems that many have contacted Warn about this problem, but they are not addressing it.
Since I now had two remotes I decided to try to resolve the problem myself. I installed a sliding switch on the red wire of the battery and then cut a slot in the side of the transmitter to mount it. I now turn the remote off and on with this switch and I have no problems with the battery holding a charge for extended periods of time. The only down side of this is that now the remote is not waterproof, but I can deal with that.

image.jpg

image.jpg

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I've also noticed my remote does not hold a charge very long. I also had the winch fail this weekend as it would not engage the clutch. There is no manual lever, so despite a charged controller, I was stuck. I live near a service center so at least I dont have to pay crazy shipping fees to get this thing fixed, but it still sucks. I hope the service techs can shed some light on if my problem is common or a fluke. It was the 2nd time I had ever called on the winch...

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I just came across this due to another member mentioning it in another thread.

I picked mine up brand new in box from an individual who decided they wanted a competition sized/smaller winch. Hearing of this, and especially that I might not be able to plug in the USB to get it powered like an old laptop with a weak battery, sure takes the shine off saving hundreds.

And here I was going to use the two auxiliary power points to power a locker and a pair of lights to use the remote as a switch...

Subscribed thread for updates.

And everyone that’s had issues has made sure to turn off the green power switch on the winch itself. You’d think that would stop communication and stop parasitic loss at the remote not having to communicate. I’m no guru but you’d think this wouldn’t be too difficult to stop. For now, I guess I’ll remove my battery.

Last edited:

Sponsored

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I've also noticed my remote does not hold a charge very long. I also had the winch fail this weekend as it would not engage the clutch. There is no manual lever, so despite a charged controller, I was stuck. I live near a service center so at least I dont have to pay crazy shipping fees to get this thing fixed, but it still sucks. I hope the service techs can shed some light on if my problem is common or a fluke. It was the 2nd time I had ever called on the winch...
UPDATE - It has been 3 weeks and 5 days since I dropped the winch off with the local service center. They couldn't really tell me what failed beyond the part number they ordered which is the entire right side of the winch and made up of like 20 small parts (#92982). The service center had no update on receiving the part, so I called Warn and they indicated it would be Mid-Dec before the part would be shipped...for a premium winch and corresponding price tag, I am rather frustrated and not happy with Warn. Again, it was the 2nd time I used it in 11mo and the electronic clutch failed. I will have been winch-less for 3 months minimum before I get it all back together. I guess that is why they offer a 7yr warranty, because at this rate over 2 years of that time they'll have it anyways haha. My boss has been waiting to get a 16.5ti for his 3/4ton Ram, and now he has pause to do so, with good reason. Thanks for listening, I just had to vent somewhere.

Kian

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR EcoDiesel Billet Silver
reading all these issues makes me want to return my Zeon 12s Platinum.. i've had it here in my garage but am waiting for the warn carrier to come in... I'm dreading having to go through the return process but maybe i'm better off doing that than getting potentially stuck in the middle of nowhere :angry:

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Google Data Center Maintenance Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
reading all these issues makes me want to return my Zeon 12s Platinum.. i've had it here in my garage but am waiting for the warn carrier to come in... I'm dreading having to go through the return process but maybe i'm better off doing that than getting potentially stuck in the middle of nowhere :angry:
While the ZEON issues are frustrating and unacceptable from a company like WARN, equipment failures are something you have to account for when planning a wheeling trip. This is one reason why you should never go wheeling alone.

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE: I called Warn again and politely expressed frustration, the gentleman understood and grabbed the part from a new winch and overnighted it to my local repair facility and the winch was ready the within an hour the following day. I got it back and its all back on the jeep now. I will say, the operation is better than before, with respect to the clutch function. I firmly believe I simply had a faulty unit originally, it was never as well behaved and responsive as this new unit is. I spoke with the technician that reparied it and he said its the only platinum he's ever had to repair and 'they sell a ton of them'. I am happy that Warn made things 'right' with me, and exhibited the customer service I expected, albeit a little later than I would have hoped. Every winch brand is going to have these types of instances, every company is going to produce units that fail etc, so I would stick with Warn as they did show me I can eventually rely on them to make it right, and I'm confident in the winch on my jeep.

TATER1971

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willy's Wheeler JK in Rhino
In a very similar approach to @Kansascoast there is a vid on Youtube that details how to McGyver a solution. I would link it here but Youtube is blocked from work. However just go to Youtube and type in "Warn ZEON Platinum - Dead Battery Solution". The poster is named CL Biro and his video shows how what he discovered with regards to battery drain and what he did to fix it. Like @Kansascoast you may have to be prepared to be McGyver. I haven't used my Platinum S yet...though I did buy it used....so I'm preparing for the worst.
Sponsored