sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
Hi all,

Looking to replace my 18 JLUSS within the next few months when my lease is up. Been researching ordering a new Willys 2dr, looking at dealers, discounts etc. Started researching used 18,19 2dr Rubicon's and noticed price is about the same with low mileage. For essentially the same cost, any suggestions either way? All my driving will be on-road. I'm not in a rush, can wait to find the exact color if getting used. Curious to know if worth buying a 21 with 0 miles, some more kinks worked out maybe? Or better value with the used?
Sponsored

OP
OP
sk00pie

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
I would go new if it was me.
1. New warranty
2. You would have the updated steering box.
3. Zero miles, and you would know how it’s been cared for.
Very good points, didn't even think of the steering box. Any experience with it? Always felt my 18 just doesn't stop wandering on highways. New rack supposed to improve that?

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
If you found one with some warranty remaining and you thoroughly checked it out, drove it... I think you should consider a used one. It should help avoid a few grand in depreciation from driving a new one off the lot. Now... that’s unless there’s some hella rebates on the new one. I’d consider that too.

OP
OP
sk00pie

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
If you found one with some warranty remaining and you thoroughly checked it out, drove it... I think you should consider a used one. It should help avoid a few grand in depreciation from driving a new one off the lot. Now... that’s unless there’s some hella rebates on the new one. I’d consider that too.
Good point. I would never consider any other new car besides wrangler. Just the typical 5-8% off invoice which seem pretty good.

Sponsored

jdpatt12

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon 2019 Jeep Cherokee , 2015 ford mustang gt
Vehicle Showcase
Very good points, didn't even think of the steering box. Any experience with it? Always felt my 18 just doesn't stop wandering on highways. New rack supposed to improve that?
I had mine replaced when it was available. My wife complained since new that it was hard for her to keep it straight. She likes driving it now.

ScoobyBlue

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly 16JK Willys, now 21JL Rubicon
I’d go order new and get exactly what you want. Order from Leon Travis at Criswell or Craig Benner at Koons (see preferred dealer thread). If you finance through them it’s about 7-8% below invoice (and you can refi after a few months). Bring your own financing and it’s about 5% below invoice. Obvs either way is WAY below MSRP. Well worth the drive.

OP
OP
sk00pie

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
I had mine replaced when it was available. My wife complained since new that it was hard for her to keep it straight. She likes driving it now.
Oh wow that noticeable good to know. Mine now feels like needs constant adjustments to keep straight.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
A couple of suggestions to think about.....

1. Mostly on-road? Go new with the Willys. End right here.

2. If you are worried about the steering on the used Rubi, there is a simple thing you can do. Go drive it before you buy it. Simple. My Rubi's steering was fine and it is an early 2018. I think I drove about 33k on the original box. I had the new box put in anyway, but it was fine. I perceive a small improvement on the highway, but that may just be in my head. My brother has a 2020 Gladiator and the original aluminum steering box was perfect at 20k. He had the TSB done, anyway, too. No measurable difference. Like me, it mainly made him feel better about it.

3. If you read this far and are still thinking it is an on-road vehicle, go Willys. But remember, should you decide to take it off road, it is still a Jeep and its capabilities will astound you regardless of whether it is a Rubicon, or not. If you get into wheeling, there are some simple mods you can make to further improve its capabilities, but they aren't really necessary. It is an off-road beast out of the box. Heck, even a basic Sport is, as well.

OP
OP
sk00pie

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
A couple of suggestions to think about.....

1. Mostly on-road? Go new with the Willys. End right here.

2. If you are worried about the steering on the used Rubi, there is a simple thing you can do. Go drive it before you buy it. Simple. My Rubi's steering was fine. I had the new box put in anyway, but it was fine. I perceive a small improvement on the highway, but that may just be in my head.

3. If you read this far and are still thinking it is an on-road vehicle, go Willys. But remember, should you decide to take it off road, it is still a Jeep and its capabilities will astound you regardless of whether it is a Rubicon, or not. If you get into wheeling, there are some simple mods you can make to further improve its capabilities.
Ok thanks, more I think about seems like new WIlly is the way to go. Any reason why you'd say WIllys better on road? Hear mixed things about the standard mud tires. I almost never drive on highways, just side roads etc. Work from home so only expecting to put 7k miles a year if that.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ok thanks, more I think about seems like new WIlly is the way to go. Any reason why you'd say WIllys better on road? Hear mixed things about the standard mud tires. I almost never drive on highways, just side roads etc. Work from home so only expecting to put 7k miles a year if that.
I don't think the Willys is better on-road. Rather about equal. It would boil down to how you think they feel to you. Tires (AT vs MT) would make more difference in feel than the rest of the vehicle. Both are Jeeps. They'll be similar. I'm just saying you don't need all the features the Rubi has that can only come into play off-road, such as the 4:1 crawl ratio. One thing the Rubi gets that would play into on-road manners are excellent shocks. But the Willys gets those, so no advantage there. The other stuff, such as lockers and sway bar disco are just unecessary for your profile and for 98% of folks, really. The 4.10 gearing is nice. If that's available in the WIllys I'd get it, but again, it wouldn't be a deal breaker, for me. Just get the tallest (highest numeric) ratio they offer on the order page.

As for tires, if they are C rated mud tires, they'll be fine. Or you could swap them out. I've been very happy with KO2 AT's on my Rubi, especially on-road, but even in hard off-roading. The main issue with tires will be ride comfort. Mudders are more noisy, but not a massive difference. ATs get noisy when they wear down and the gap narrows. The higher the speed, the more you'd notice, so you'll probably not give it a second thought.

Do they give the option of AT tires on the Willys? If not, you could try them and if you don't like them swap them out for a pretty good deal at a tire store. Just make sure whatever you swap for has a C load rating. You won't need anything more and the ride will be more harsh with a D or E. (D's aren't too bad, though. E's are no fun, IMHO.)

OP
OP
sk00pie

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
I don't think the Willys is better on-road. Rather about equal. It would boil down to how you think they feel to you. Tires (AT vs MT) would make more difference in feel than the rest of the vehicle. Both are Jeeps. They'll be similar. I'm just saying you don't need all the features the Rubi has that can only come into play off-road, such as the 4:1 crawl ratio. One thing the Rubi gets that would play into on-road manners are excellent shocks. But the Willys gets those, so no advantage there. The other stuff, such as lockers and sway bar disco are just unecessary for your profile and for 98% of folks, really. The 4.10 gearing is nice. If that's available in the WIllys I'd get it, but again, it wouldn't be a deal breaker, for me. Just get the tallest (highest numeric) ratio they offer on the order page.

As for tires, if they are C rated mud tires, they'll be fine. Or you could swap them out. I've been very happy with KO2 AT's on my Rubi, especially on-road, but even in hard off-roading. The main issue with tires will be ride comfort. Mudders are more noisy, but not a massive difference. ATs get noisy when they wear down and the gap narrows. The higher the speed, the more you'd notice, so you'll probably not give it a second thought.

Do they give the option of AT tires on the Willys? If not, you could try them and if you don't like them swap them out for a pretty good deal at a tire store. Just make sure whatever you swap for has a C load rating. You won't need anything more and the ride will be more harsh with a D or E. (D's aren't too bad, though. E's are no fun, IMHO.)
Good points no need for the off road extras. No option for ATs anymore. Would consider swapping out of the MTs were awful in rain or snow but a little noise doesn't bother me.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I will basically be at the same point in April. I am buying out the lease and making payments for one more year.

Then I will most likely go with a used Rubi. My hope is they will do the mid-cycle refresh for 2023 model year and they may add an option for lockers and better gearing for the Willys. A refreshed interior and those options might steer me to a new Willys.

But that's based on how I use my Jeep. If I didn't go off-road a lot or didn't want to lift I would go with the new Willys.
Sponsored