Sponsored

Buy new or used 2 Door Rubi?

OL1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU, 1967 Corvette Converible, 2011 997.2 TTS
So I've seen some debate on resale value arguing both ways about how great it is on Jeeps, then also that the JL owners are getting hammered on depreciation. So I own a loaded JLUR, loaded, bunch of add on stuff (winch/aux lighting/etc, but no lift or rims). My fiancé and I absolutely love it. Her car is going to croak in the next 6 months or so and I'm thinking that since she steals the jeep and loves it so much that I'd just go ahead and get a 2 door Rubi the way I'd like it and let her roll the current 4 door (6spd/soft top/cloth). For all the talk about JL's not holding their value, I cannot find one respectably optioned 2door that is asking less than what I could buy it new for. Basically you can buy a JL for 12% off MSRP anywhere it seems, if you use that as a baseline, I'd expect to pay 10-15% less than that cost for a truck that has 7-10k miles on it that is in great shape. Granted I have not made formal offers, but I have to believe with the rate these things are getting pumped out of the factory that some "deals" have to pop up over the course of the next few months. Do I just have wishful thinking and should just order a new one and be happy the resale is so good?
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I’ve not heard any talk about JLs not holding their value except from a few forum trolls who can’t afford one. You know, the same bunch who said all JLs would be bought back by FCA for bad welds and that first year owners are idiots. :CWL:

Unless you’re lucky and find a very motivated seller, I’d say get a new one. If you find a ‘18 that meets your specs you’ll probably be able to negotiate a good deal. That said, 2drs are unicorns. 2dr manuals even more so.

Good luck!

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I have my JLR v6 six speed manual for sale right now. I have had little to no interest on it. From here or from Craigslist. It could be that I’m a little high or that it is January, the worst car buying month of the year. My price is in line with what is on KBB. Buying a new one compared to a used one would cost a few thousand dollars more if you were willing to travel (depending on where you live) or if your local dealer will match these larger volume dealers.

If you have to buy now, I suggest buying new. However, I do think used wrangler prices will hold steady if not rise a little bit going into the spring.
Sponsored