Sponsored

Used Rubi vs new Willys

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Hi all,

Looking to replace my 18 JLUSS within the next few months when my lease is up. Been researching ordering a new Willys 2dr, looking at dealers, discounts etc. Started researching used 18,19 2dr Rubicon's and noticed price is about the same with low mileage. For essentially the same cost, any suggestions either way? All my driving will be on-road. I'm not in a rush, can wait to find the exact color if getting used. Curious to know if worth buying a 21 with 0 miles, some more kinks worked out maybe? Or better value with the used?
curious - do you have equity in the Jeep at the end of the lease term?
Sponsored

OP
OP
sk00pie

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
curious - do you have equity in the Jeep at the end of the lease term?
Hmm not sure. At the time I got what seemed like a stupid cheap deal, something like 81% residual value. Put 2,500 total out of pocket and pay $259 a month including taxes. 39m 10k mile JLU Sport S. Purchase end of term shows 31k. Purchase price as 37k and change I think.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Hmm not sure. At the time I got what seemed like a stupid cheap deal, something like 81% residual value. Put 2,500 total out of pocket and pay $259 a month including taxes. 39m 10k mile JLU Sport S. Purchase end of term shows 31k. Purchase price as 37k and change I think.
yeah I think the purchase price at the end is based on that percentage of MSRP (ie not your sales price). Might want to put it into carvana for an idea as to what they would buy it for. Donā€™t want you leaving any $$ on the table!

if buying a new one would you lease again? I figure the math would work out fairly similarly to last time if you can get 8% off invoice as the sales price.

OP
OP
sk00pie

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
yeah I think the purchase price at the end is based on that percentage of MSRP (ie not your sales price). Might want to put it into carvana for an idea as to what they would buy it for. Donā€™t want you leaving any $$ on the table!

if buying a new one would you lease again? I figure the math would work out fairly similarly to last time if you can get 8% off invoice as the sales price.
Ah ok I'll look into it! If there is equity what is my option? No desire to purchase the one I'm leasing.

I probably wouldn't consider leasing again. My lease began right when the JL came out and the deal was too good to pass up. I went back a year later to price one out for my wife and the same exact car went from $259 to $350. If I could get a crazy deal again I may consider. My thought is I realize I'll always want a jeep so rather than leasing over and over may as well buy and keep.

wriver82

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Red JLUR
I went with the Willys, do minor off roading and it's fine. What I did do on my order was tell my dealer I do not like the MTs, so I got the rubicon ATs instead, as soon as the Jeep came in they switched them out. Ended up paying 70 per tire. Love the Willys with these tires.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sk00pie

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
I went with the Willys, do minor off roading and it's fine. What I did do on my order was tell my dealer I do not like the MTs, so I got the rubicon ATs instead, as soon as the Jeep came in they switched them out. Ended up paying 70 per tire. Love the Willys with these tires.
Wow that's cheap, Ko2s? For 70 bucks each?

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Good points no need for the off road extras. No option for ATs anymore. Would consider swapping out of the MTs were awful in rain or snow but a little noise doesn't bother me.
MT's are fine in both rain and snow. They are really great off-road. I have a little over 5,000 miles on my Willy's with no issues. When it comes time to replace them, I will go with a larger AT just because the of price difference and because I do not go off-road that often (and I only do green trails until this thing is paid off).

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Hi all,

Looking to replace my 18 JLUSS within the next few months when my lease is up. Been researching ordering a new Willys 2dr, looking at dealers, discounts etc. Started researching used 18,19 2dr Rubicon's and noticed price is about the same with low mileage. For essentially the same cost, any suggestions either way? All my driving will be on-road. I'm not in a rush, can wait to find the exact color if getting used. Curious to know if worth buying a 21 with 0 miles, some more kinks worked out maybe? Or better value with the used?
I am from Long Island also (Deer Park) and got my 2020 JLUR from Westbury Jeep. Just like you, I almost never go off road and will probably stay factory stock for as long as I own the Jeep. I bought the JLUR more for looks than anything. The bigger tires and the Steel Bumper got to me. Besides some off road beaches like the Sore Thumb in Babylon, Smith Point Beach and a few more out east we do not really have any off road spots here. A base model Sport or any pickup truck can do that. Going all the way out to PA or Upstate NY just for Wheeling isn't my cup of tea esp given our traffic. It is too bad the Willy's wasn't an option when I placed the order for my JLUR late summer of 2019. I probably would have gone that path.

If I were to buy another Jeep by trading in my current JLUR, what I buy may depend on whether I want to keep the Jeep forever or sell after paying off the loan. If I want to keep the Jeep forever, by all means I would get the Willy's. You get the good looking tires stock on a WIlly's and can always buy the front and rear Steel Bumpers from Quadratec. Plus it is lower maintenance should you break something as speciality Rubicon parts like the Axles (for example) can be pricier. However if I were to sell after paying off the loan, I would get another Rubicon as the resale value is much higher versus a Sport, a Sahara or a Willy's.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
sk00pie

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
I am from Long Island also (Deer Park) and got my 2020 JLUR from Westbury Jeep. Just like you, I almost never go off road and will probably stay factory stock for as long as I own the Jeep. I bought the JLUR more for looks than anything. The bigger tires and the Steel Bumper got to me. Besides some off road beaches like the Sore Thumb in Babylon, Smith Point Beach and a few more out east we do not really have any off road spots here. A base model Sport or any pickup truck can do that. Going all the way out to PA or Upstate NY just for Wheeling isn't my cup of tea esp given our traffic. It is too bad the Willy's wasn't an option when I placed the order for my JLUR late summer of 2019. I probably would have gone that path.

If I were to buy another Jeep by trading in my current JLUR, what I buy may depend on whether I want to keep the Jeep forever or sell after paying off the loan. If I want to keep the Jeep forever, by all means I would get the Willy's. You get the good looking tires stock on a WIlly's and can always buy the front and rear Steel Bumpers from Quadratec. Plus it is lower maintenance should you break something as speciality Rubicon parts like the Axles (for example) can be pricier. However if I were to sell after paying off the loan, I would get another Rubicon as the resale value is much higher versus a Sport, a Sahara or a Willy's.

Hope this helps.
Good point about the replacement parts being potentially more for the Rubi. Think I'm pretty set on the Willys after reading all these posts. I just love the way they look too, won't ever take off road. How'd you like Westbury Jeep? I haven't looked at any Long Island dealers yet, didn't think they could be competitive price wise.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Good point about the replacement parts being potentially more for the Rubi. Think I'm pretty set on the Willys after reading all these posts. I just love the way they look too, won't ever take off road. How'd you like Westbury Jeep? I haven't looked at any Long Island dealers yet, didn't think they could be competitive price wise.
Westbury Jeep has been very good to me. They negotiated pretty well on pricing with me when I placed a custom order. Compared to other LI dealers they are a lot more flexible with factory orders. Other dealers try to sell you inventory, borderline pushing you (Ex in Amityville, Bay Shore and Smithtown). The service department at Westbury is also good. I still have to take my Jeep in for the Steering TSB. They told me call them up whenever I will like to get that done and set up an appointment. Will probably do when I need to use my complimentary first tire rotation as I don't like making a special trip just to get the Steering TSB done given the fact that I don't drive the Jeep too much. I have only 5200 Miles on it and the Jeep was delivered to me in Sept 2019.

The only dealership to avoid in my eyes is the Jeep Dealership in Bayshore on Sunrise Highway between Deer Park Ave and Robert Moses Causeway. Rather dishonest and incompetent. They tried to play a few tricks on me also when I tried to get a Jeep off them. Luckily my dad caught them early on and told me to walk away (he came with me as he was at home bored, lol). A couple of fellow LI Jeepers tried to buy off them and just did not like the attitude. One of us was BS'd around a lot when they wanted to get the Steering TSB done late last Summer/Early Fall. He had to call FCA customer service in Michigan to report the behavior. Michigan then got involved and forced the dealership to do it. This is despite this Jeeper buying from the Bay Shore guys.

Try going to Westbury CDJR (first preference) or Security CDJR in Amityville (second preference). These two tend to score high marks. If these two are not reasonable try Smithtown Jeep (third preference). Just make sure to avoid the Bay Shore guys like the plague.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TheLodgeOne

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Don't forget that was after whatever credit they gave me for the MTs, but yes It was a good deal
To each their own. I wouldn't pay $70 on top of a brand new M/T for new A/Ts now that I've experienced both.

OP
OP
sk00pie

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
Westbury Jeep has been very good to me. They negotiated pretty well on pricing with me when I placed a custom order. Compared to other LI dealers they are a lot more flexible with factory orders. Other dealers try to sell you inventory, borderline pushing you (Ex in Amityville, Bay Shore and Smithtown). The service department at Westbury is also good. I still have to take my Jeep in for the Steering TSB. They told me call them up whenever I will like to get that done and set up an appointment. Will probably do when I need to use my complimentary first tire rotation as I don't like making a special trip just to get the Steering TSB done given the fact that I don't drive the Jeep too much. I have only 5200 Miles on it and the Jeep was delivered to me in Sept 2019.

The only dealership to avoid in my eyes is the Jeep Dealership in Bayshore on Sunrise Highway between Deer Park Ave and Robert Moses Causeway. Rather dishonest and incompetent. They tried to play a few tricks on me also when I tried to get a Jeep off them. Luckily my dad caught them early on and told me to walk away (he came with me as he was at home bored, lol). A couple of fellow LI Jeepers tried to buy off them and just did not like the attitude. One of us was BS'd around a lot when they wanted to get the Steering TSB done late last Summer/Early Fall. He had to call FCA customer service in Michigan to report the behavior. Michigan then got involved and forced the dealership to do it. This is despite this Jeeper buying from the Bay Shore guys.

Try going to Westbury CDJR (first preference) or Security CDJR in Amityville (second preference). These two tend to score high marks. If these two are not reasonable try Smithtown Jeep (third preference). Just make sure to avoid the Bay Shore guys like the plague.
Ok cool thanks, do you know what type of deal they give in terms of discount off msrp/invoice?

ScoobyBlue

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly 16JK Willys, now 21JL Rubicon
Ok cool thanks, do you know what type of deal they give in terms of discount off msrp/invoice?

Honest, look at the preferred dealers thread. Seems the best on the east coast is Gaithersburg MD (Criswell), and Fairfax VA (Koons). 5-8% below invoice. But youā€™ve got to deal with specific people there. People fly in to get vehicles from them.

Ordered mine last week, trading my ā€˜16 Willys (also custom order) on a Rubicon.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
What are the differences in options? Things like cold weather, alpine, keyless entry and safety group are pretty sweet to have if the Rubi already comes with it at the same price point of a Willys without them.
Sponsored