Used Rubi vs new Willys

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Don't know about you but I like buying them brand new and keeping them till they die. Think I got that from my father. Example: we had a 1990 Nissan Stanza that we got rid of in 2011 after 325k miles. We have a 2008 Altima in the house and an 09 Civic sedan (120k miles each), a 2011 Pathfinder (only 40k miles) and of course my 2020 JLUR (5.2k miles). All but the Stanza were bought brand new.

Granted there is new technology out there, My father starts having an emotional bond with the cars and is the reason why he does not get rid of them till they die. I now have that habit too. I do not foresee getting rid of my JLUR until it dies on me 15 or 20 years from now.
I am pretty much the same way. We/I buy cars that satisfy a specific want and hold onto them as long as possible. I bought the Sky RL factory ordered and loved the heck out of it but eventually sold it because i already had another car (BMW E46), was keeping my dad's car for sentimental value so did not have the space for it, plus having 2 little kids it made it even less useful being a 2-seater. Dad's 2003 Pathfinder was rusting out like i've never seen so had to get rid of it 18 months later so the time had come to get another car and the next big want was a Wrangler, and along came the JL, which was also factory ordered with Criswell and was a great experience getting it.

We currently have my wife's WK2 which she loves to pieces so can't see getting rid of it in the near future. Have the '19 JL which as mentioned could be my son's first car and even if not, i don't see a scenario where we would get rid of it. And my baby, a 2004 BMW E46 ZHP 6MT with 65k miles that my wife is aware she goes before it does :)

I hope to add more cars to the future. On my list is a 2004 Audi S4 6MT in Nogaro Blue and 2005 Lotus Elise.
Sponsored

OP
OP
sk00pie

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
I am pretty much the same way. We/I buy cars that satisfy a specific want and hold onto them as long as possible. I bought the Sky RL factory ordered and loved the heck out of it but eventually sold it because i already had another car (BMW E46), was keeping my dad's car for sentimental value so did not have the space for it, plus having 2 little kids it made it even less useful being a 2-seater. Dad's 2003 Pathfinder was rusting out like i've never seen so had to get rid of it 18 months later so the time had come to get another car and the next big want was a Wrangler, and along came the JL, which was also factory ordered with Criswell and was a great experience getting it.

We currently have my wife's WK2 which she loves to pieces so can't see getting rid of it in the near future. Have the '19 JL which as mentioned could be my son's first car and even if not, i don't see a scenario where we would get rid of it. And my baby, a 2004 BMW E46 ZHP 6MT with 65k miles that my wife is aware she goes before it does :)

I hope to add more cars to the future. On my list is a 2004 Audi S4 6MT in Nogaro Blue and 2005 Lotus Elise.
Ive never owned a car I wanted to keep forever before my current JL. Once I got a taste of Jeep ownership I knew my next move would be buying a long term one specd out exactly how I wanted.

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know about you but I like buying them brand new and keeping them till they die. Think I got that from my father. Example: we had a 1990 Nissan Stanza that we got rid of in 2011 after 325k miles. We have a 2008 Altima in the house and an 09 Civic sedan (120k miles each), a 2011 Pathfinder (only 40k miles) and of course my 2020 JLUR (5.2k miles). All but the Stanza were bought brand new.

Granted there is new technology out there, My father starts having an emotional bond with the cars and is the reason why he does not get rid of them till they die. I now have that habit too. I do not foresee getting rid of my JLUR until it dies on me 15 or 20 years from now.
You didn’t know Jeep’s were part Hindu? After there first 15-20 years they are reborn with a hemi and 40’s.

Sponsored

Orangecrush9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys JLU
For all you Willys folk, what engine/trans did you go with? Debating manual vs 2.0 + selec trac. The 4HAuto appeals for a little extra stability in rain and snow.
My Nacho Willys is on order through Craig at Koons currently and I did go with 2.0 + selec trac. I was back and forth between whether I needed 4H Auto or not, but my locale tends to get a lot of snow and if I have a pulse, I'm expected to be at work for my shifts, so I figured its a little extra piece of mind to know I can set it and forget it

OP
OP
sk00pie

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
My Nacho Willys is on order through Craig at Koons currently and I did go with 2.0 + selec trac. I was back and forth between whether I needed 4H Auto or not, but my locale tends to get a lot of snow and if I have a pulse, I'm expected to be at work for my shifts, so I figured its a little extra piece of mind to know I can set it and forget it
Congrats! Can I ask what discount was given? Also we you required to finance through them and if so, how are the rates?

Orangecrush9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys JLU
Congrats! Can I ask what discount was given? Also we you required to finance through them and if so, how are the rates?
As I discovered through this forum, the 7.5% below dealer invoice is legit.

NO, you're not required to finance through them, but the discount drops to 6.5% if you use your own financing. Don't have firm details on the rates, but I am pre-approved through my bank at a great rate, so i'll go with whatever option is cheaper for financing.

Send him an e-mail; give a call. Process was as easy as it was on these boards. Once I picked out my options and everything and sent him the build from jeep website, I was on the phone with him for maybe 10 minutes, exchanged a couple quick e-mails, placed the order that afternoon and had a VON within the hour.

starrs

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Registered Nurse
As I discovered through this forum, the 7.5% below dealer invoice is legit.

NO, you're not required to finance through them, but the discount drops to 6.5% if you use your own financing. Don't have firm details on the rates, but I am pre-approved through my bank at a great rate, so i'll go with whatever option is cheaper for financing.

Send him an e-mail; give a call. Process was as easy as it was on these boards. Once I picked out my options and everything and sent him the build from jeep website, I was on the phone with him for maybe 10 minutes, exchanged a couple quick e-mails, placed the order that afternoon and had a VON within the hour.
Is it still an $899 doc fee?

Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
I would go new if it was me.
1. New warranty
2. You would have the updated steering box.
3. Zero miles, and you would know how it’s been cared for.
4. Not someones previous headache

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
A couple of suggestions to think about.....

1. Mostly on-road? Go new with the Willys. End right here.

2. If you are worried about the steering on the used Rubi, there is a simple thing you can do. Go drive it before you buy it. Simple. My Rubi's steering was fine and it is an early 2018. I think I drove about 33k on the original box. I had the new box put in anyway, but it was fine. I perceive a small improvement on the highway, but that may just be in my head. My brother has a 2020 Gladiator and the original aluminum steering box was perfect at 20k. He had the TSB done, anyway, too. No measurable difference. Like me, it mainly made him feel better about it.

3. If you read this far and are still thinking it is an on-road vehicle, go Willys. But remember, should you decide to take it off road, it is still a Jeep and its capabilities will astound you regardless of whether it is a Rubicon, or not. If you get into wheeling, there are some simple mods you can make to further improve its capabilities, but they aren't really necessary. It is an off-road beast out of the box. Heck, even a basic Sport is, as well.

I disagree about #1....willy's will likely be worse on road (narrower and with mud tires), rubicon better on road and off road although if you swap ATs on the willy's it will look as good (or better) than rubi and will be as good or better on road.

Willy's without power windows/doors (if you can go with it) are an absolute steal as they are only a hair more than the base sport and give you wheels/tires, bumper, rock rails, shocks all for less than they would cost to add on your own.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I disagree about #1....willy's will likely be worse on road (narrower and with mud tires), rubicon better on road and off road although if you swap ATs on the willy's it will look as good (or better) than rubi and will be as good or better on road.

Willy's without power windows/doors (if you can go with it) are an absolute steal as they are only a hair more than the base sport and give you wheels/tires, bumper, rock rails, shocks all for less than they would cost to add on your own.
Point taken, and a very good one at that. But that's just tires and they can be swapped for even or low cost. I'd still go with the new Willys over the used Rubi of primarily on-road.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
Hi all,

Looking to replace my 18 JLUSS within the next few months when my lease is up. Been researching ordering a new Willys 2dr, looking at dealers, discounts etc. Started researching used 18,19 2dr Rubicon's and noticed price is about the same with low mileage. For essentially the same cost, any suggestions either way? All my driving will be on-road. I'm not in a rush, can wait to find the exact color if getting used. Curious to know if worth buying a 21 with 0 miles, some more kinks worked out maybe? Or better value with the used?
If all your driving will be on-road, why on earth would you even consider a Rubicon? Its main features really only add off-road capability. Sahara is a superior on-road choice, plus you get more comfort and amenities, the full time AWD option, and a limited slip rear diff. Far better choice. If you were planning to go off road, I would recommend the opposite...
Sponsored