sk00pie

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
Honest, look at the preferred dealers thread. Seems the best on the east coast is Gaithersburg MD (Criswell), and Fairfax VA (Koons). 5-8% below invoice. But you’ve got to deal with specific people there. People fly in to get vehicles from them.

Ordered mine last week, trading my ‘16 Willys (also custom order) on a Rubicon.
Already emailed both :). Which did you go with? And what type of discount? And financing?
Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Ok cool thanks, do you know what type of deal they give in terms of discount off msrp/invoice?
I got my JLUR with almost every bell and whistle except for the ACC. The build was $57.7k. We agreed at $54k (6.4% off). But it all depends on your negotiation skills, how is the sales situation at the dealerhsip and the Sales Guy you get. In my case, my strategy was to throw a target price at them that is reasonable without pissing them off. I proposed $52k before taxes/fees and the guy met me at $54k before taxes/fees which I thought was reasonable. Unfortunately the guy is no longer with Westbury Jeep as he retired (Joe Seplow). He was very good at constantly updating me about my build status.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I am from Long Island also (Deer Park) and got my 2020 JLUR from Westbury Jeep. Just like you, I almost never go off road and will probably stay factory stock for as long as I own the Jeep. I bought the JLUR more for looks than anything. The bigger tires and the Steel Bumper got to me. Besides some off road beaches like the Sore Thumb in Babylon, Smith Point Beach and a few more out east we do not really have any off road spots here. A base model Sport or any pickup truck can do that. Going all the way out to PA or Upstate NY just for Wheeling isn't my cup of tea esp given our traffic. It is too bad the Willy's wasn't an option when I placed the order for my JLUR late summer of 2019. I probably would have gone that path.

If I were to buy another Jeep by trading in my current JLUR, what I buy may depend on whether I want to keep the Jeep forever or sell after paying off the loan. If I want to keep the Jeep forever, by all means I would get the Willy's. You get the good looking tires stock on a WIlly's and can always buy the front and rear Steel Bumpers from Quadratec. Plus it is lower maintenance should you break something as speciality Rubicon parts like the Axles (for example) can be pricier. However if I were to sell after paying off the loan, I would get another Rubicon as the resale value is much higher versus a Sport, a Sahara or a Willy's.

Hope this helps.
Honest, look at the preferred dealers thread. Seems the best on the east coast is Gaithersburg MD (Criswell), and Fairfax VA (Koons). 5-8% below invoice. But you’ve got to deal with specific people there. People fly in to get vehicles from them.

Ordered mine last week, trading my ‘16 Willys (also custom order) on a Rubicon.
Tri-City is also similar and a forum sponsor. They are a little further south though.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok cool thanks, do you know what type of deal they give in terms of discount off msrp/invoice?
EDIT: for financing I went to TFCU on Deer Park ave at the time. They gave me a six year loan at 3.49% APR. However these days, FCA is doing zero APR loans. Back then the FCA APR was 5.5%. Yikes!

I put $10k down ($1k when ordered and then $9k when delivered) plus the FCA loan to them. Given the fact that Westbury Jeep moves a lot of inventory, the dealership did not care that I financed from outside.

ScoobyBlue

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly 16JK Willys, now 21JL Rubicon
Already emailed both :). Which did you go with? And what type of discount? And financing?
Leon at Criswell. He and Koons were within a few hundred of each other at the bottom line. And, Criswell is 2.25 hrs drive, Koons is 2.5 hrs drive. So, it came down to me picking Leon as he’s a veteran. No other reason, hard and difficult choice in my head.

Went with my own financing from the credit union for 5% below invoice. I’d rather know my rate going in instead of having to refinance after some little time. That was for my own anxiety levels. 🤷🏽

Sponsored

OP
OP
sk00pie

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
Leon at Criswell. He and Koons were within a few hundred of each other at the bottom line. And, Criswell is 2.25 hrs drive, Koons is 2.5 hrs drive. So, it came down to me picking Leon as he’s a veteran. No other reason, hard and difficult choice in my head.

Went with my own financing from the credit union for 5% below invoice. I’d rather know my rate going in instead of having to refinance after some little time. That was for my own anxiety levels. 🤷🏽
Yeah true, I want to avoid refi as welll

OP
OP
sk00pie

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
For all you Willys folk, what engine/trans did you go with? Debating manual vs 2.0 + selec trac. The 4HAuto appeals for a little extra stability in rain and snow.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For all you Willys folk, what engine/trans did you go with? Debating manual vs 2.0 + selec trac. The 4HAuto appeals for a little extra stability in rain and snow.
For the engine/transmission all choices are good ones. The 3.6 Pentastar has been an FCA Workhorse and considered one of the most reliable engines in the market. The 2.0 Turbo is new and more fun to drive. Given the fact that there have been no major complaints or recalls on it, it too seems to be a very good choice. Time will tell if the 2.0 is as reliable as the 3.6 but it seems to be headed in the right direction. I got the 3.6 because in July of 2019 when I ordered there were not enough data points to see if the 2.0 is as good as the 3.6 or not.

In terms of transmissions, the 8 speed is considered one of the best automatics in the industry right now while the 6 speed is a lot of fun to drive esp when compared with the Manuals of the older JKs and TJs IMHO. Given our traffic here, I would have to bat for the 8 speed.

Selec trac is an option that I will get only if you live in an area that sees constant snow (which we here in LI do not). The RAM 1500 owners have had the Selec Trac for much longer than the JL owners. The 1500 owners have given it mixed reviews. Good for the snow as you can leave it in 4 Auto and forget about it. But some have questioned the long term reliability given the use of CV joints. I would recommend not getting it unless you plan on driving to Upstate, Canada or New England regularly from Long Island.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
For the engine/transmission all choices are good ones. The 3.6 Pentastar has been an FCA Workhorse and considered one of the most reliable engines in the market. The 2.0 Turbo is new and more fun to drive. Given the fact that there have been no major complaints or recalls on it, it too seems to be a very good choice. Time will tell if the 2.0 is as reliable as the 3.6 but it seems to be headed in the right direction. I got the 3.6 because in July of 2019 when I ordered there were not enough data points to see if the 2.0 is as good as the 3.6 or not.

In terms of transmissions, the 8 speed is considered one of the best automatics in the industry right now while the 6 speed is a lot of fun to drive esp when compared with the Manuals of the older JKs and TJs IMHO. Given our traffic here, I would have to bat for the 8 speed.

Selec trac is an option that I will get only if you live in an area that sees constant snow (which we here in LI do not). The RAM 1500 owners have had the Selec Trac for much longer than the JL owners. The 1500 owners have given it mixed reviews. Good for the snow as you can leave it in 4 Auto and forget about it. But some have questioned the long term reliability given the use of CV joints. I would recommend not getting it unless you plan on driving to Upstate, Canada or New England regularly from Long Island.
We bought my wife's WK2 brand new in Q1 2012 with the 3.6 pentastar and 145K miles later it's still a rock star. When we ordered our JLUR in 2019 it was an easy decision to go with it again.

OP
OP
sk00pie

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
We bought my wife's WK2 brand new in Q1 2012 with the 3.6 pentastar and 145K miles later it's still a rock star. When we ordered our JLUR in 2019 it was an easy decision to go with it again.
My current JL is the 3.6 been good. I'd like something different just to switch things up which is why I want either the manual or the 2.0.

Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My current JL is the 3.6 been good. I'd like something different just to switch things up which is why I want either the manual or the 2.0.
Get the 2.0 then. You won't be disapppinted.

I am also a huge proponent of Manual Transmissions. But given our traffic situation and my short fuse, I back off!

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
From reading this board the feedback seems to be positive on the turbo engine, i'm just not big on them in general because eventually they become another (expensive) part to replace once the turbo goes. Though you probably will have to own it a long time before you have to replace.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From reading this board the feedback seems to be positive on the turbo engine, i'm just not big on them in general because eventually they become another (expensive) part to replace once the turbo goes. Though you probably will have to own it a long time before you have to replace.
Most Tier 1 manufacturer installed turbos require a rebuild after 100k miles. This was back in the mid 2000s to early 2010s. I would assume the technology has somewhat imroved now and wont be surprised if a turbo does not require a rebuild till after 125k or 150k miles.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Most Tier 1 manufacturer installed turbos require a rebuild after 100k miles. This was back in the mid 2000s to early 2010s. I would assume the technology has somewhat imroved now and wont be surprised if a turbo does not require a rebuild till after 125k or 150k miles.
Seems about right. I used to own a 2007 Saturn Sky Redline and at around 115k miles my mechanic told me the turbo was starting to go. Vaguely remember him saying it would be about 1,500 for the part, but i could be off.

Still, time passes and miles add up quick and, for example, with my wife's WK2 @ 145K miles i am very glad not to have to think that we may be nearing the end of the life of the turbo and having to pay for that repair. The '19 JL may some day become my son's first car which gives me that same happy feeling that i won't have that extra bill if we decide to keep it that long.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems about right. I used to own a 2007 Saturn Sky Redline and at around 115k miles my mechanic told me the turbo was starting to go. Vaguely remember him saying it would be about 1,500 for the part, but i could be off.

Still, time passes and miles add up quick and, for example, with my wife's WK2 @ 145K miles i am very glad not to have to think that we may be nearing the end of the life of the turbo and having to pay for that repair. The '19 JL may some day become my son's first car which gives me that same happy feeling that i won't have that extra bill if we decide to keep it that long.
Don't know about you but I like buying them brand new and keeping them till they die. Think I got that from my father. Example: we had a 1990 Nissan Stanza that we got rid of in 2011 after 325k miles. We have a 2008 Altima in the house and an 09 Civic sedan (120k miles each), a 2011 Pathfinder (only 40k miles) and of course my 2020 JLUR (5.2k miles). All but the Stanza were bought brand new.

Granted there is new technology out there, My father starts having an emotional bond with the cars and is the reason why he does not get rid of them till they die. I now have that habit too. I do not foresee getting rid of my JLUR until it dies on me 15 or 20 years from now.
Sponsored