Sponsored

Used deals?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Also 7 yr 100k mile warranty and it’s certified preowned.
Warranty is good. 12K miles is nothing. Hope it works out. Post some pics when you get it!
Sponsored

RhinoBW

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I’ll get a copy from the dealer of the window sticker it’s gonna be close to 50k. They went up a little after 2018, but I looked at another 2018 almost the same as this one and the only difference was that it had a hardtop and cloth and sticker was 49k. This one has premium soft top and leather.
Go here:
https://www.jeep.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C4BJWEG8JL824598

Replace the VIN at the end with the VIN of the Jeep you are interested in.

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited MOAB, 2000 XJ Sport, 1978 CJ7 BAMF

Attachments

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Hoping this isn't hijacking the thread. I came across this deal locally and wanted your opinions.
There are dealers in my area advertising new 2020 models for significantly less than that.

Of course that's just an advertised price. On used vehicles you can sometimes negotiate down quite a bit, or maybe not. You won't know until you try. If you can't negotiate down then you need to look elsewhere. If you can negotiate down then you might get a good deal. My feeling is that you need to get at least $5k below the new price of a comparable model in order to make it worthwhile to buy a vehicle 2 model years older, with less warranty remaining, etc. Maybe $5k isn't enough.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
So reports are now speculating used market will be a buyers paradise within the next 30 days. New prices are getting better, but if I can get a used model with low miles that somebody already took the depreciation hit on what’s to lose? Currently eyeing a 2018 JLR that has the following; steel bumpers, LEDs, safety group, 8.4, premium soft top, leather, all weather floor mats. Has just under 12k on the clock for 35.9k Is this not a great deal? MSRP was at 50k new if not sightly over 50k.
That deal sounds good. You've got a great platform to start a nice build with that Jeep.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
My wife gave me a budget of $30k so most likely I'm busting that by a little bit. Supply and demand is working WRT dealers buying wholesale, but not working WRT dealers selling retail. They can't bring themselves to sell to break even, or sell at a loss, so they just sit on them. Dealers are doing the same thing with new prices. They pass on the factory incentives but don't throw in much of their own discount. There are more cars coming on the used market as leases expire and people can't pay for their leases, but nobody is making new ones anymore. At such point as the factories resume significant production, things will have to happen because the new production will have to go somewhere. The market outside of Jeep land will change more significantly because not only do dealers have a lot of inventory on their lots, I hear that there are a lot of full transport ships offshore just sitting there because they can't unload. There's going to be a lot of supply and not so much demand, but it may take several more months for that to significantly affect retail prices.

In my area we are starting to get back to normal. I went to 2 different restaurants this weekend to pick up takeout food and they were both open like normal with plenty of customers inside. Unemployment will start dropping with all the employees called back to work. At some point they'll start buying cars again. In 6 months the car market might be like it was last year.
$30K is going to be close. Not to pry but are you planning on a cash deal or are you considering financing? I only ask because a 0% loan might help offset cost if you find something a little over budget. That's if you buy new.

What's your timeline? Are you in any rush or do you need a vehicle to drive right away? I might wait knowing what I know about the recent drop in wholesale prices. I'd maybe wait and see how used JLs price out once the lower wholesale prices trickle down into the retail used car market. Worse case you save up a few extra bucks for a little boost in your budget for when you do find something.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
It would have been. Wife hates the color so it’s a no go. Crazy good price tho
Happy Wife, Happy Life!!! words to live by!

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Lockhart Basin, Elephant Hill and Flint Trail
Have driven Lockhart and Elephant Hill in my stock '87 XJ. Very enjoyable, scenic, moderate wheeling, highly recommended. After modestly lifting and re-gearing to accommodate 31s, reinforcing the unibody and locking the diffs, subsequent drives no longer presented much technical challenge other than dealing with aging electrical, rubber and plastic components. Flint Trail is indeed appealing, but would not want to do that alone due to remoteness.
RecommendedVehicle ForFlintTrail.jpg
Test drove a new JKU three years ago and was only too glad to return to my XJ with over a quarter million on the clock. Then, last fall, tested a '20 2.0L 8sp JLR; impressed, but failed to make a deal to order one without the electronic garbage I didn't want, knowing that dealing with the XJ's comparatively simple electrical ignition on trails was bad enough. So, I continued as the original owner of the trusty, capable, devil-I-knew XJ, still getting 20+mpg with AC at freeway speeds sitting on badly worn seats, cranking windows.

Just two days after returning from yet another regional 2000 mile wheeling trip, having just cleaned the interior, it was expertly, unexpectedly and silently stolen (pulled) off my driveway, despite having a manual tranny and ignition defeat circuitry, parked 8 feet from neighbor's open bedroom window. I suspect the collusion of recent druggie across-the-street neighbors who seemed to take unusual notice of my mechanical attentions given to keep that old buddy wheeling. Cops here are indifferent to any crime not involving a political figure; just let insurance deal with it. I replaced the XJ with a well cared for built '05 TJR for 35 grand less than the '20 JLR I tried. I like it, but I miss the AMC XJ, its space; its smoothness....that's how good it was. The ponderous top is now off; I've been under the TJ greasing it and know the venerable 4.0L. I admit its crudeness, but it's built to wheel and endure.
Sponsored