Sponsored

Uconnect 8.4 Screen Delamination

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares my 8.4" display has the same issue. The top left hand corner has started to de-laminate. I am out of warranty, with over 48k miles on my JLUR. I haven't visited a dealership regarding this issue. I take excellent care of my Jeep and should not have this problem. Please advise. Thank you.
Sorry to hear that! There was a recent STAR case released in regard to this concern. I kindly recommend reaching out to your dealer to have them properly inspect your Uconnect touchscreen and appropriately review the terms of this STAR case. Your dealer may be willing to work with you on this once they perform a proper diagnosis and consider all of the necessary information.

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Sponsored

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
if your warranty is over and dont want to spend crazy money on a new radio
just do as cmcclintock.13565 mentioned
i did this a long time ago and have not had issues since just never posted up about it - didnt think it was a big issue
most of the time the issue is oils from your hands
alot of the times its from cleaners being used on the screen
car wash places dont care much and use the same old rag
with who knows what it has on it ,or what it was washed with
my method : i used rubbing alcohol and microfiber cloth to remove the anti glare coating on the wifes jeep.
just keep buffing it away. you will see it all come off , then once its all removed i cleaned it with a clean cloth and a tv cleaner , which makes it clean and streak free. then added a screen protector with anti glare coating - problem solved !!

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@unaseer - call customer care who will put you in touch with Uconnect. They took care of mine out of warranty - or they would have had the dealer not stepped up and done it under goodwill. For what itā€™s worth, I had not used this dealer for anything since I purchased a Ram from them in 2014.

Calijeep

First Name
Octavio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
@unaseer - call customer care who will put you in touch with Uconnect. They took care of mine out of warranty - or they would have had the dealer not stepped up and done it under goodwill. For what itā€™s worth, I had not used this dealer for anything since I purchased a Ram from them in 2014.
Hello. Iā€™m having the same problem with my radio. My dealer said they canā€™t do anything about it since Iā€™m out of warranty. Can you give me the number you called please. Thanks

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hello. Iā€™m having the same problem with my radio. My dealer said they canā€™t do anything about it since Iā€™m out of warranty. Can you give me the number you called please. Thanks
1 (800) 992-1997 - theyā€™ll escalate to Uconnect customer care and theyā€™ll end up calling back like a day or 2 later. Uconnect should take care of you since itā€™s a known issue.

Sponsored

Calijeep

First Name
Octavio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
1 (800) 992-1997 - theyā€™ll escalate to Uconnect customer care and theyā€™ll end up calling back like a day or 2 later. Uconnect should take care of you since itā€™s a known issue.
Thank you. Iā€™ll give them a call tomorrow

First Name
Hillary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1976 Wagoneer, 1977 Wagoneer (parts car), 1969 Roadrunner, 1972 Cuda, 2007 Dakota pickup
Occupation
Engineer
Now it's my turn. 2018 JLUR, 36k miles, and my screen has become completely unusable. It delaminated some and with the pandemic and supply chain problems I was living with it, but now the delamination has reached the point it's pushing random buttons on the screen. I'm on a 2 week road trip and am not near my dealer. This is really bad timing!

Lfckillah

First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler 2018 Sahara
if your warranty is over and dont want to spend crazy money on a new radio
just do as cmcclintock.13565 mentioned
i did this a long time ago and have not had issues since just never posted up about it - didnt think it was a big issue
most of the time the issue is oils from your hands
alot of the times its from cleaners being used on the screen
car wash places dont care much and use the same old rag
with who knows what it has on it ,or what it was washed with
my method : i used rubbing alcohol and microfiber cloth to remove the anti glare coating on the wifes jeep.
just keep buffing it away. you will see it all come off , then once its all removed i cleaned it with a clean cloth and a tv cleaner , which makes it clean and streak free. then added a screen protector with anti glare coating - problem solved !!
[/Q

Hi my radio is starting to delaminate I ran out of warranty. I would like to know if you can explain me the process to fix the screen the way you did it.
PHOTO-2021-09-28-15-16-17.jpg

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
according to everyone else they will replace the radio even if its out of warranty
read back a few pages and see what they say ..

but really its very easy to fix yourself if you dont have that option

get 90% or higher rubbing alcohol - i used 98% alcohol
put a little alcohol on a micro fiber cloth and begin to "buff" rub the coating off .
i used the corner of the cloth and just wet it a little
theres no need to rub at it hard, thats why you use the 90% or higher alcohol.. the anti glare coating will rub off easily and you will notice it for sure once the alcohol evaporates
or you can use another dry micro fiber to speed up the dry time.
to get into the corners if you dont remove the radio beze,l u can use the corner of the cloth to get in there closer or a q-tip ...
once you see the anti glare coating is all gone and clean like new , get some tv cleaner spray or cell phone cleaner clean the screen and get yourself a screen protector online that has an anti glare coating , pop it on headache gone. i will get a photo of the wifes cherokee whenever she is home, she allllllways out wasting my money or doing errands !!! but her radio is still perfect after doing this .

i also heard that baby wipes removes the coating, but i have not tried this ..
the alcohol worked super fast for me and it was clean - but it has to be 90 or higher to work like that

Last edited:

Lfckillah

First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler 2018 Sahara
according to everyone else they will replace the radio even if its out of warranty
read back a few pages and see what they say ..

but really its very easy to fix yourself if you dont have that option

get 90% or higher rubbing alcohol - i used 98% alcohol
put a little alcohol on a micro fiber cloth and begin to "buff" rub the coating off .
i used the corner of the cloth and just wet it a little
theres no need to rub at it hard, thats why you use the 90% or higher alcohol.. the anti glare coating will rub off easily and you will notice it for sure once the alcohol evaporates
or you can use another dry micro fiber to speed up the dry time.
to get into the corners if you dont remove the radio beze,l u can use the corner of the cloth to get in there closer or a q-tip ...
once you see the anti glare coating is all gone and clean like new , get some tv cleaner spray or cell phone cleaner clean the screen and get yourself a screen protector online that has an anti glare coating , pop it on headache gone. i will get a photo of the wifes cherokee whenever she is home, she allllllways out wasting my money or doing errands !!! but her radio is still perfect after doing this .

i also heard that baby wipes removes the coating, but i have not tried this ..
the alcohol worked super fast for me and it was clean - but it has to be 90 or higher to work like that
Thanks, do you have a video of how to dismantle the radio?

Sponsored

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
Also added a front camera. Love it can you see where I put it rather than in my grill. I can now see everything I can not see from the drivers seat

Jeep Wrangler JL Uconnect 8.4 Screen Delamination PHOTO-2021-09-28-15-16-17

Jeep Wrangler JL Uconnect 8.4 Screen Delamination PHOTO-2021-09-28-15-16-17
i really like that location - nice

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
Thanks, do you have a video of how to dismantle the radio?
no i dont sorry - i did it with the radio in place and the bezel on .. you can search how to remove the bezel on the radio to get closer to the edges , but i didnt do that

Radavi01

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
No luck with this solution here. I called them today and they told me I had to take it to the dealer.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Does this affect only 2018 MY or newer JLs as well?

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
No luck with this solution here. I called them today and they told me I had to take it to the dealer.
use the alcohol 99% clean the anti glare off the screen ,good as new, call it a day if all else fails
Sponsored