2020 sport (2 door)

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
So if they put it in the 2022 Wrangler, the 8.4, could we essentially just buy a new radio and it would plug and play?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Thanks. I would like wireless carplay for sure.
That would be nice. I just would be happy to get Uconnect5 to get away from all the problems with Uconnect4.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So if they put it in the 2022 Wrangler, the 8.4, could we essentially just buy a new radio and it would plug and play?
At this point no one knows? I do know it won't be cheap if it's possible. The FCA rep told me each of the Uconnect4 head units they replaced in my JLR cost about $2K. They put 2 of them in with the same results.

Last edited:

Kizzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler
Uconnect 5 is available with the 10” screen for the 21 Pacifica, Grand Cherokee L, Grand Wagoneer, Wagoneer. 22 Ram will get Uconnect 5 on the 8.4 and 12” screen so it would make sense for the 22 Wrangler to have it as well at least on the 8.4
It seems most of the 21 and 22 FCA vehicles are getting the update along with the 22 RAM now as well. If it’s not 22 for Wrangler, it is definitely 23. Uconnect 4 is being completely phased out and I would be hesitant to buy a new vehicle with it now.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Thanks. I would like wireless carplay for sure.
FYI, there are some inexpensive ($100) Amazon dongles that accomplish this with UC4, have one in my 19 ram and one waiting for the wrangler.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It seems most of the 21 and 22 FCA vehicles are getting the update along with the 22 RAM now as well. If it’s not 22 for Wrangler, it is definitely 23. Uconnect 4 is being completely phased out and I would be hesitant to buy a new vehicle with it now.
I don't want Uconnect4 because it is so problematic.

I got to know my Jeep Cares rep well because I had so many problems with my Uconnect4. Dozens of conversations. All I could get out of her was Uconnect5 will eventually be in all of the FCA products including the JL by next year. She had no idea when? Beginning of the year, end of the year, who knows. Lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BMoreJLU

BMoreJLU

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
It hurts my soul that the Compass is getting UConnect5 before the Wrangler.

Jeep just revealed the Compass redesign for 2022 (coming this fall)- exterior looks largely the same, but the interior looks incredibly premium for the price point the Compass (even the higher trims) is at. I have to think the Bronco Sport is pushing Jeep to really push things forward in the Compass/Renegade.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It hurts my soul that the Compass is getting UConnect5 before the Wrangler.

Jeep just revealed the Compass redesign for 2022 (coming this fall)- exterior looks largely the same, but the interior looks incredibly premium for the price point the Compass (even the higher trims) is at. I have to think the Bronco Sport is pushing Jeep to really push things forward in the Compass/Renegade.
The Compass is getting Cconnect5 before the JL? Say it ain't so!

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
UConnect 3 came out back in 2014 and the JK Wrangler never saw it. They kept the MyGig units up until 2018 and by that time, the Wrangler was the only vehicle in FCA's lineup still running them.

I won't be surprised if the JL keeps the current unit until the next generation Wrangler, especially since they put the time and effort to write software for it for the 4xe, 392, etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BMoreJLU

BMoreJLU

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
UConnect 3 came out back in 2014 and the JK Wrangler never saw it. They kept the MyGig units up until 2018 and by that time, the Wrangler was the only vehicle in FCA's lineup still running them.

I won't be surprised if the JL keeps the current unit until the next generation Wrangler, especially since they put the time and effort to write software for it for the 4xe, 392, etc.
I would agree, but with the Bronco having Ford's newest Sync system, I can't imagine Jeep can afford to have software that gets to be 7-8 years old before updating. The lower trims of the GC L have an 8" UConnect5, I have to think that Jeep will find a way to incorporate that into the interior without other major changes to the interior to keep up with the Bronco on the tech side.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would agree, but with the Bronco having Ford's newest Sync system, I can't imagine Jeep can afford to have software that gets to be 7-8 years old before updating. The lower trims of the GC L have an 8" UConnect5, I have to think that Jeep will find a way to incorporate that into the interior without other major changes to the interior to keep up with the Bronco on the tech side.
I don't disagree, but Jeep looks like they're doing the absolute bare minimum to compete with the Bronco right now. All they're doing at this point are offering parts bin upgrades and rebranded third-party equipment as OEM.

Once Broncos are on the road for a couple years and Jeep starts feeling it via sales, they'll probably pull their heads out of their asses and actually do something about it, but right now they're still sitting on the fence. The fact you can buy a brand new 2021 Wrangler and still need to seat your fuses after your Jeep strands you on the side of the road doesn't exactly show a proactive approach.

Kizzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler

FCA mention in their original press release that all FCA vehicles will be on the new Uconnect 5 platform by 2022. Again if it's not this year, it will be next year for the Wrangler. It's being rolled out in phases.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FCA mention in their original press release that all FCA vehicles will be on the new Uconnect 5 platform by 2022. Again if it's not this year, it will be next year for the Wrangler. It's being rolled out in phases.
I'm not holding my breath. FCA made similar promises with UConnect in the JK and it never happened. It looks like they were close seeing as how they went through the trouble to render a 3D JK for the navigation icon, but the units never made it into the vehicle for whatever reason.

Proterino

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler 2 door Sport S
Attempting to revive this.

When I called asking about the uconnect5 both Uconnect and Jeep Cares cited their press release saying "by end of 2022"....

What they did tell me was that it has been delayed due to microchip shortage, now whether that is a convenient excuse or actual fact who knows? I do see the 8.4 inch in the grand Cherokee redesign. So I'm pushing my order till 2023... As long as prices don't keep climbing. For now I'll deal with my plagued uconnect4.
Sponsored