UConnect 5

BMoreJLU

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
When do you guys anticipate we'll see UConnect 5 in the Wrangler lineup? It's starting to show up in 2021 FCA models as it is in the redesigned Pacifica and it's in the newly debuted Grand Cherokee L and maybe others I'm missing. Do you think we'll see an interior refresh for the Wrangler in the 2023 MY? I think 2022 is probably a little early given those will be coming out later this year, but a 5 year refresh cycle seems to make sense for the Wrangler (5 year refresh and then 10 year redesign). For the JK there was the small 2011 MY interior refresh followed by the powertrain refresh in 2012 MY that added the 3.6L V6 to replace the 3.8L V6 after the JK debuted for the 2007 MY.
Sponsored

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Im personally hoping we will be able to replace the existing Uconnect 4 head units with the Uconnect 5 when they do come out without any issues

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I would expect the UConnect 5 to come sooner rather than later. Late 2022 or 2023 MY would make sense. Wranglers typically get things later on than other FCA products. I wouldn't really expect a refresh though for the interior. The interior is very nice and not outdated. It's honestly perfect for the JL IMO. In contrast the 2010 JKs interior was definitely outdated. I suppose anything is possible though when the Twin Turbo ends up replacing the Pentastar.

OP
OP
BMoreJLU

BMoreJLU

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
I would expect the UConnect 5 to come sooner rather than later. Late 2022 or 2023 MY would make sense. Wranglers typically get things later on than other FCA products. I wouldn't really expect a refresh though for the interior. The interior is very nice and not outdated. It's honestly perfect for the JL IMO. In contrast the 2010 JKs interior was definitely outdated. I suppose anything is possible though when the Twin Turbo ends up replacing the Pentastar.
You're right, the interior on the JL is really nice and not dated at all currently. I guess the 2 UConnect 5 systems that have come out have been on 10" screens (at least on the reviews I've seen). I'm sure there's smaller systems that will integrate into the Wrangler dash without a major interior refresh. I have to think we'll see a mild refresh at some point prior to the next redesign in 7 years or so though.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Do you think we'll see an interior refresh for the Wrangler in the 2023 MY? I think 2022 is probably a little early given those will be coming out later this year, but a 5 year refresh cycle seems to make sense for the Wrangler (5 year refresh and then 10 year redesign). For the JK there was the small 2011 MY interior refresh followed by the powertrain refresh in 2012 MY that added the 3.6L V6 to replace the 3.8L V6 after the JK debuted for the 2007 MY.
I seriously doubt we'll see a mid-cycle refresh for the JL. The JK is the only Wrangler that has done this and this was due to Chrysler merging with Fiat and FCA publicly admitting the JK's interior was embarrassingly bad. Circumstances were different for the JK than any other Wrangler generation because Chrysler was circling the drain when the JK debuted. The JK was riddled with a lot of flaws in its first few years due to Chrysler's penny-pinching and Fiat didn't manage to shake many of them out until 2015.

The JL is by no means flawless, but FCA actually put time and effort into its interior this time around.

If the UConnect 5 manages to make its way into the JL, they'll probably tweak the center stack to accommodate it, but I don't think we're going to see the significant interior change like JK did. Bare in mind, while the interior design of the JK was redone primarily to utilize better material quality, many of the electronic components remained unchanged. The JK still used the exact same gauge cluster, radios, and structural mounting hardware (you could easily install a 2012+ dash and door panels on a 3.8L JK) during its entire run.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I'm not familiar with Uconnect 5. What are the improvements over the current system?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'm not familiar with Uconnect 5. What are the improvements over the current system?
Completely new software and UI powered by Android.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Im personally hoping we will be able to replace the existing Uconnect 4 head units with the Uconnect 5 when they do come out without any issues
There is a chance Uconnect5 shows up even before any mid-model refresh if the head unit is a bolt in. Fingers crossed.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2021 Grand Cherokee got Uconnect5. Was the 2021 Grand Cherokee a mid-model refresh? Or did they just replace the head units and keep the same dash?

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

You're right, the interior on the JL is really nice and not dated at all currently. I guess the 2 UConnect 5 systems that have come out have been on 10" screens (at least on the reviews I've seen). I'm sure there's smaller systems that will integrate into the Wrangler dash without a major interior refresh. I have to think we'll see a mild refresh at some point prior to the next redesign in 7 years or so though.
I believe one model (maybe a Ram?) already has Uconnect 5 on an 8.4" screen, so it's feasible that they could do the update without having to redesign the interior.

It's not a simple software flash, unfortunately. Uconnect includes (requires?) upgraded hardware that allows it to run more smoothly, potentially support 5G in the future, etc. But it can definitely run on the 8.4" screen that's already accommodated in the JL (high-end, anyways)

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov

Here's a detailed video on UConnect 5. The hardware uses a processor about five times faster than UConnect 4.

Deadpool_JL

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Islander 2.0T Firecracker Red
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
Uconnect 5 is available with the 10” screen for the 21 Pacifica, Grand Cherokee L, Grand Wagoneer, Wagoneer. 22 Ram will get Uconnect 5 on the 8.4 and 12” screen so it would make sense for the 22 Wrangler to have it as well at least on the 8.4