Transmission temps

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4dr Rubicon, 2005 Turbo Silverado, 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
I was driving from Phoenix to San Diego the other day and pushing the jeep pretty hard 90 mph+ a lot in 105 to 107 degree weather and I noticed that my trans temps were around 210 degrees. Going through the mountains before San Diego I had it floored a lot seeing how it would take the inclines and at one point the trans temp got up to 222 before I backed off it to let it cool down. It seemed too hot to me. What kind of trans temps are other people seeing?
Sponsored

OP
OP

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nobody else has watched their trans temps or am I the only who drives their JL like a idiot?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Millions of miles with manual transmissions and never have had a failure nor a temp gage. So I don’t care to look at it, not would I know what’s a dangerous number.
I too drive hard like you. :movember:

heamick

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I was driving from Phoenix to San Diego the other day and pushing the jeep pretty hard 90 mph+ a lot in 105 to 107 degree weather and I noticed that my trans temps were around 210 degrees. Going through the mountains before San Diego I had it floored a lot seeing how it would take the inclines and at one point the trans temp got up to 222 before I backed off it to let it cool down. It seemed too hot to me. What kind of trans temps are other people seeing?
I was out west with my JLUR this fall and the temp gage on the trans was hotter than the radiator. FCA said the thermostat in the trans no changeable . That's too hot and a aux. cooler won't help

Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
The good thing about having a numerical trans temp gauge is that now you know how hot you are running. The bad thing is that now you know how hot you are running.

Depending on circumstances, I don’t think 220s are dangerously high. Maybe if you’re driving need cause your trans to run hotter than normal you may want to do a fluid/filter change earlier than scheduled. Lots of info on transmission fluid temps out there.

https://www.google.com/amp/transmissionrepairguy.com/transmission-temperature-gauge/amp/

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
Your going to run 100 degrees above ambient most of the time. When you get up to about 300 is when your doing damage in any auto trans.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
35 deg today, after driving a while trans temp was around 180, so my guess is 220 is not too bad for over 100 deg ambient temp. More than 220 and you're getting into the danger zone.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Heat index 112 towing a trailer with the A/C on high back during the summer and mine stayed 210 or less which is really great.

Sponsored

OP
OP

AZDustMuncher

First Name
L.C.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should slow down.
You should transfer your life savings into my PayPal account. P.M. me and I'll give you my email so you can make that happen!

Dotan swisa

First Name
Dotan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jl
We have jl on 3.5" lift and 35" tires. Live in LA, hot, we are getting 200 to 215 on the road and 210 to 230 off road. I was very worry with this numbers, I called few dealerships here in California (not only the dealer I got the jeep from) they all said that it's very normal for this jl with the improvements we did and we have nothing to worry about. I honestly don't know if to believe what they say but we are taking it out almost every weekend and so far no issues at all...

heamick

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was out west with my JLUR this fall and the temp gage on the trans was hotter than the radiator. FCA said the thermostat in the trans no changeable . That's too hot and a aux. cooler won't help

heamick

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you are right a additional trans cooler will not change temp readings, my 2018 blur was terrible, Amy 2021 is much better bigger did cooling lines
Sponsored