Higher temps after winch install?

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
I installed my winch last week and after driving around a bit (highway/city) I noticed my temps were much higher than normal. My rig normally runs 195-205. My temps have been 212-230 on average (70degrees out) unless sitting idle, it falls back to 195-198. I do not run the cover on the winch for now, as that makes the temps higher/blocking more airflow.

I just ordered a new bumper (1/4pounder) because the bumper I have now has the winch plate high mounted. I think this is most of the problem.

Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Blocking radiator airflow is a problem with high mounted winches. Looks like you already started your solution with the new bumper. I'd let this go until you have the new bumper installed and see if that resolves the problem. 212-230 isn't going to kill you.

OP
OP
Mudduck

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Blocking radiator airflow is a problem with high mounted winches. Looks like you already started your solution with the new bumper. I'd let this go until you have the new bumper installed and see if that resolves the problem. 212-230 isn't going to kill you.
Thank for the reply. I googled and didnt see much in the way of this issue. I ordered the !/4 pounder and the XRC stubby to what I like best, and send one back. I have a feeling I like the 1/4 pounder but ill moch them up and see.

Hopefully this will do the trick. I also ordered more cable/Wire to mount the solenoid under the hood rather than on top of the winch to make it that much more low profile.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I've thought about the solenoid under the hood but it's big and real estate under the hood is hard to come by.

Post a picture after you're done. Id like to see how it ends up.

OP
OP
Mudduck

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
I've thought about the solenoid under the hood but it's big and real estate under the hood is hard to come by.

Post a picture after you're done. Id like to see how it ends up.
Absolutely will.

Reactions: GtX

Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I installed my winch last week and after driving around a bit (highway/city) I noticed my temps were much higher than normal. My rig normally runs 195-205. My temps have been 212-230 on average (70degrees out) unless sitting idle, it falls back to 195-198. I do not run the cover on the winch for now, as that makes the temps higher/blocking more airflow.

I just ordered a new bumper (1/4pounder) because the bumper I have now has the winch plate high mounted. I think this is most of the problem.

Anyone else have this issue?
I run a plate on top of my plastic bumper and a badlands 12000 on the plate and have had no issues with running hot. Just drove out to Moab and spent 4 days and drove back...no issues.

OP
OP
Mudduck

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
I run a plate on top of my plastic bumper and a badlands 12000 on the plate and have had no issues with running hot. Just drove out to Moab and spent 4 days and drove back...no issues.
It doesn’t get hot to the point of overheating, but it does run much more on the warm side And the temps are not steady, they’re all over the place between 195-230 where as they were steady 195-205
Sponsored