Trans Temp

Goat

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler jl sport 2.0
See it all the time, hasnt caused a problem. I do plan on having my fluid and filter changed at 20k though.
I've used 4lo a bunch on my JL and never have I see it that high
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I've used 4lo a bunch on my JL and never have I see it that high
I live and wheel in the Death Valley area, my coolamt and oil temps would probably shock some people also. Thing is these full synthetic oiled aluminum engines and sealed transmissions can handle higher temps and pressures than what most people are used to seeing. Will your engine and tranny see longer life than mine, sure, but probably not a huge amount and im not gonna baby it because of where I live. If we can see all our temps i am more than sure the Jeep will give us warnings if anything overheats. if that happens i will dump it on the dealership to fix, ive got a 10 year 100,000 mile FCA bumper to bumper warranty, ive voided much of it with mods but I haven't touched the engine or transmission. I also haven't done the fan reprogramming recall, i want it to run full blast all the time where I wander, im also considering trying the Gladiator fan if it will cross over, its more powerful. My 88 poor runner could handle wheeling out here, my 2019 JL better be able to do the same or my dealer is in for a lot of headaches. Ill wheel this shit until it blows up, i agreed to no operating restrictions when I bought it and I do all my services under "extreme use guidelines". My dealer sells Jeeps to people who live in the desert, and seems to have a decent grasp on temperature related issues, the service manager was pretty happy explaining to me that the JL trannies dont overheat like the JK ones are famous for.

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
I live and wheel in the Death Valley area, my coolamt and oil temps would probably shock some people also. Thing is these full synthetic oiled aluminum engines and sealed transmissions can handle higher temps and pressures than what most people are used to seeing. Will your engine and tranny see longer life than mine, sure, but probably not a huge amount and im not gonna baby it because of where I live. If we can see all our temps i am more than sure the Jeep will give us warnings if anything overheats. if that happens i will dump it on the dealership to fix, ive got a 10 year 100,000 mile FCA bumper to bumper warranty, ive voided much of it with mods but I haven't touched the engine or transmission. I also haven't done the fan reprogramming recall, i want it to run full blast all the time where I wander, im also considering trying the Gladiator fan if it will cross over, its more powerful. My 88 poor runner could handle wheeling out here, my 2019 JL better be able to do the same or my dealer is in for a lot of headaches. Ill wheel this shit until it blows up, i agreed to no operating restrictions when I bought it and I do all my services under "extreme use guidelines". My dealer sells Jeeps to people who live in the desert, and seems to have a decent grasp on temperature related issues, the service manager was pretty happy explaining to me that the JL trannies dont overheat like the JK ones are famous for.
Yeah mine runs "warm" too. Primarily between the oil and coolant temp. So far the trans temp hasn't been as high as the OP, but the temp is never too far behind the others. I have learned to get use to it. Everybody says that's normal even when it doesn't seem right. I've noticed the meter seems to stay in the center even though the digital temp can vary 30 degrees. So I am with you, I will drive it as it was originally intended and if it blows up... my hemi swap will come sooner than later.

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
I’ve seen 233 in 4HI going up a mountain. 4LO usually keeps me at 215 or lower. Coolant temp around 220.

Reactions: J0E

Doomgaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Ok so after further asking @fca I was told by my dealer that 300f is seen by 2019 transmissions under 4lo operation. We need to keep this thread going.

Anyone else with 235+ trans temp while wheeling?
Mine hits 237 in 2H just pulling my jetski trailer. Only changes I've made are 35s, still 4.10 gears. Had the 35's for like 2 months no issues, then the other day just driving around town for about 45 minutes I heard the cooling fan on full blast, like it used to do on max AC before the software fix, so I looked at my gauges and that's when I saw the trans temp.

I don't think the tires are the issue. I did a test by starting the Jeep cold, and just letting it idle in my driveway for an hour. The trans temp went up to around 200, that doesn't seem normal for not even driving.

Of course the dealer say it was normal.

Try the idle test, see what temp your trans maxes out at without even driving.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trans Temp 20200818_150151

Sponsored

OP
OP
JROOO

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Mine hits 237 in 2H just pulling my jetski trailer. Only changes I've made are 35s, still 4.10 gears. Had the 35's for like 2 months no issues, then the other day just driving around town for about 45 minutes I heard the cooling fan on full blast, like it used to do on max AC before the software fix, so I looked at my gauges and that's when I saw the trans temp.

I don't think the tires are the issue. I did a test by starting the Jeep cold, and just letting it idle in my driveway for an hour. The trans temp went up to around 200, that doesn't seem normal for not even driving.

Of course the dealer say it was normal.

Try the idle test, see what temp your trans maxes out at without even driving.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trans Temp 20200818_150151
what year is your jeep?

Doomgaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Ok so, dealer is still not willing to help at all. They ran an idle test next to a gladiator and said they were both the same temps. After some digging, I learned there are lines carrying engine coolant to the trans, for the purpose of helping heat it up. So an idle test will eventually end up with trans and coolant temp the same, proves nothing.

I got under the jeep and scanned the actual trans coolant lines, and scanned them at a few places. Both lines were hot, and both were the same temp, seems like 1 should be warmer and the other cooler. Following them up towards the trans cooler, the lines slowly both get older, and right where they enter the trans cooler they are barely 120. The trans cooler is cold, outside air temp.

I believe my issue, which might be the same as yours, is fault trans bypass/thermostat, causing the trans to not cycle fluid through the cooler. So the trans never has any active cooling. Eventually my trans will hit 230 which causes the fan to kick on, which contributes nothing to cooling it down since the trans cooler isn't getting any fluid flow. It will take 30 minutes for my trans to drop down to 210-220, sitting idle with the fan going.

Dealer doesn't care, won't look at the trans bypass/thermo, tells me it's fine unless a code gets thrown.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Read through a few of these threads. Made me feel a little better. Was off-reading through snow in the mountains today and my trans temp got up to 240 once during the trip. I got a bit stuck and was spinning the wheels a bit to get out. The fan kicked on and it lowered. I’m assuming 240 is normal right? Or maybe not normal but okay if it gets that hot?

It ran fine all the way home and doesn’t seem to have caused any issues. I hope..

Dotan swisa

First Name
Dotan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jl
Ok so after further asking @fca I was told by my dealer that 300f is seen by 2019 transmissions under 4lo operation. We need to keep this thread going.

Anyone else with 235+ trans temp while wheeling?

Yes, I get it every time. Dealer say no problem. I upgrade to mishimoto front cooler and it didn't do any thing. I'm thinking to cancel the transmission bypass heater.

Sponsored

RubyRecon

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
I see 220+ when off-road. I use the Tazzer to turn the fan on high. It usually drops the temp. I also have a full Artec belly skid so
I worry about air flow.
I think the fan should turn on full if you see temps over 230 Automatically.

cs2k

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Occupation
Engineer
I believe my issue, which might be the same as yours, is fault trans bypass/thermostat, causing the trans to not cycle fluid through the cooler. So the trans never has any active cooling.
When i look over the parts catalogue for the thermostat (Attached below), it doesn't seem like its a separate part but it might be integrated into the trans or cooler. Does anyone know where this part is located?

https://www.mymoparparts.com/v-2021...as/cooling--transmission-oil-cooler-and-lines

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My 2021 JLIR has the same transmission as yours. I’ve never seen my trans temp above 200, even while off-road.

Reactions: J0E

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
My 2021 JLIR has the same transmission as yours. I’ve never seen my trans temp above 200, even while off-road.
Lol, mines the opposite. It’s rarely under 200 while off roading.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Sure, I'll keep the old thread alive... '22 JLUR and I'm in the 30degree mountain air and I'm also well over 200 my first two times out on the trails. That fan is LOUD!
Sponsored