Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Do you worry about locking it up when you go off wheeling? Locking up a wheel, or the hitch or something?
I lock the doors, and the rear hatch, just because that will keep an honest person honest. I do not worry about stuff getting stolen or the whole camper getting stolen. It is insured and everything is replaceable. I think that by and large, the people that go out and do the things we do are good people and not your typical thief. Your common thief is usually steeling stuff do to drug problems and poverty in general. So the likely hood of them walking 20 miles out into the forest is pretty low.

Would it suck if someone stole it, yes. Yet it is insured and they make new one everyday so it is replaceable.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
D90John

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
OK. I love the yellow JL and trailer. My wife and I are doing the 800 mile drive to Moab with our little trailer early October for 10 days. I hope to run a bit of slick rock for the first time with my JLUR diesel and, some runs with the trailer. I will report back to the overlanders as to how it all shakes out. Focus on fun and a bit of off road adrenaline.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
OK. I love the yellow JL and trailer. My wife and I are doing the 800 mile drive to Moab with our little trailer early October for 10 days. I hope to run a bit of slick rock for the first time with my JLUR diesel and, some runs with the trailer. I will report back to the overlanders as to how it all shakes out. Focus on fun and a bit of off road adrenaline.
Post pictures. So that I can live a little vicariously.

Fuzzy Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon

Fuzzy Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
What kind of wheels are those? I like the offset and the fact that the tire doesn't stick out past the fender much.

KMC....and its specifically why I purchased these..as they do not stick out past the fenders..,it was hard to find these...they are 9 in wide and come right to the edge...i don't care for the rims to stick out and spray rocks and gravel down the side...

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Got the RTT today... PITA to get it on top of the trailer. But it's there, and we're packed and ready for some cooler weather.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer overlanding 20201008_202156

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I think trailers are a real PITA and I dont look forward to towing them on road or especially off road....but I will and be happy I have it. ;)

Trailers are at there best when using them as base camp. Freeing up your jeep to go exploring and bring only what you need is pretty cool.

I just retired and doing the final touches on my trailer. I few more close by test camps should have it dialed pretty close for my BIG trip.

OP
OP
D90John

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I think trailers are a real PITA and I dont look forward to towing them on road or especially off road....but I will and be happy I have it. ;)

Trailers are at there best when using them as base camp. Freeing up your jeep to go exploring and bring only what you need is pretty cool.

I just retired and doing the final touches on my trailer. I few more close by test camps should have it dialed pretty close for my BIG trip.
I think you will enjoy your (small) trailer more than you think- They can be towed nearly anywhere (some can even navigate the Rubicon Trail) and, if built right can eliminate the need for a roof rack on you Jeep keeping your center of gravity low to the ground. When at FS campgrounds you and secure it and leave it at your camp site. While they are not for everyone I think they are a great alternative to overloading your Jeep. Just my 2 cents. Whatever you choose to do, enjoy your Jeep and the outdoors.

11B57092-DC65-4D17-8481-26D279215855.jpeg

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
I got lucky a number of years ago and found a M416. I'd wanted one since my first Jeep back in the late 80's. The only ones I could find wanted a thousand dollars or more for trailers that where usually rust buckets.

I live close to Wisconsin Surplus and had a feeling of find one through them. One totally random day, while drinking my morning coffee I found myself in their site looking through auctions. I found one that was on a nearby reserve base and had been stored in a garden shed for decades. Only $700!!

It was painted black and red and had a "Bubba Tailgate" cut into the backside. I put new tires and cleaned out up. I've plates and parts to put lights onto it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

We've used it for camping and chores and I actually rent a storage garage for it and other odds and ends. I'm hoping to Sunday have time to really fix it up. It needs new drain plugs and repainting. I also want to fix up the "Bubba Gate."

IMG_20171221_143848_909.jpg

IMG_20200617_112547.jpg

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Not the best view of the trailer, but I'm pretty happy with it. I definitely need to do something about the wooden box but I couldn't decide exactly what I wanted to do so I used some scrap wood to make the enclosure. Figured I would use it for a while and decide what would work best for storage and go from there. It works great for getting all the gear I need to keep the wife and kids happy on the trail. Its funny because I can go alone and just need the Jeep and no tent!

20201211_154152.jpg

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
I think you will enjoy your (small) trailer more than you think- They can be towed nearly anywhere (some can even navigate the Rubicon Trail) and, if built right can eliminate the need for a roof rack on you Jeep keeping your center of gravity low to the ground. When at FS campgrounds you and secure it and leave it at your camp site. While they are not for everyone I think they are a great alternative to overloading your Jeep. Just my 2 cents. Whatever you choose to do, enjoy your Jeep and the outdoors.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer overlanding 20201211_154152
I have to ask, new to this and interested in a trailer that is 1) towable, 2) practical and cheap, 3) able to support a roof top tent, act as a kitchen and base camp. Your set up to me looks ideal!

What trailer is this? Set up? Saw the pics but could not tell.
Sponsored