Sponsored

Trailer overlanding

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I would like to eventually go RTT and outfit it with an awning and kitchen boxes. I'm even playing with where to mount a small water tank and pump. Initially, tho, it will just be a stuff hauler to base camp.

I'm in a similar situation with 2 kids + a Lab... I think that my answer will be for the kids to eventually get their own tent, but with my youngest at 2.5 yo, he's not ready for that yet. Right now we just use a gigantic single room tent with two inflatable beds side by side.
That's my setup. Works in some places but overlanding... not really. Plus there's just SOOO much stuff to pack.
Sponsored

OP
OP
D90John

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
That's my setup. Works in some places but overlanding... not really. Plus there's just SOOO much stuff to pack.
Ha! Kids- I raised 4 of em. Did a lot of car camping and didn’t get a RTT till they were free birds and out of the nest. Now they still go overlanding with me one at a time for 3-4 days at a time.

flyingyogi

First Name
yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep sahara ecodiesel
Last year I got tired of having to load every time I wanted to go camping and then unload it when I return. I thought about a trailer to keep everything in it all the time, so all I have to do is hook up get ice and go.

I saw a small 4x6 flatbed for sale for $200 and invested another 300 to turn it into a dedicated camping trailer. Then I added the RTT. Life is good now. I take it to campgrounds or deep into the woods camping.

Next Year I'll replace the axle with a self lubricating one and Jeep hubs so I can use the same tires and wheels across both.

I keep an extra tote in it that holds the clothing and dry goods. It also serves to take all that stuff back out when I return and then goes right back into the trailer after washing.

IMG_20200720_142421394_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
D90John

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
That looks to bee a very nice set up for what you have invested. Looks to be a family sized tent on top. Nice slide outs in the back. We have also set ours up ready to go. What we don’t store in the cart we keep in alumuweld boxes in the garage so we can throw the boxes into the trailer with our cloths and food in the fridge and hit the road within a couple hours of deciding we want to go play. Just nice, simple out and back fun. Keep up the great work.

OP
OP
D90John

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I’m going to continue with my yip yap regarding off road trailer-I don’t know much but share what I think I have learned in my 70ish years on this planet driving back roads which is pretty much what I do. As I have said before I think a minimalist trailer is the way to go. My opinion only. That being said- keeping things very...I mean very simple is the way to travel. Secure, functional storage is good. If the doors can be used as table tops it is all the better. Potable water jugs you can handle with a on/ off spout is simple and good. Set it on your table with a bucket under it and you are set. If you can afford a fridge then put it in the back of the Jeep or a secure place in the trailer on a slider, if not, use a cooler. A simple sun canopy with a couple poles and guy lines can give you much needed shade during those hot days or a bit of shelter during the rain. Cooking for me is a lot of fun. Prepare your rough cut menu and have one or all of the following- 2 burner Coleman or Partner Steel camp stove; Skottle, or a small BBQ with the fuel of your choice. Or just a single burner if solo. RTT is wonderful for getting a good nights sleep for 2-4. With kids add a ground tent to give then or yourselves some privacy. The goal is to get out there, have fun, enjoy nature with the minimum of problems. Enjoy your summer even with the plague hanging over our heads. Cheers, D90John

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
@D90John Can you give more detail on your set-up? Which trailer and tent - and why?

Also, this is the style that we would prefer. I would rather sleep in the back of the Jeep instead of on top or on the ground. We use our soft top a lot so not sure getting a hardtop and rack is an option for us now.

How do you secure it at a campsite and leave for the day on the trails?

OP
OP
D90John

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Hi there “Hayseed”! I will try to answer your questions. If I missed a few then please feel free to shoot me another post or email.
Qualifiers- Ive been doing this my own way for 30 years. Everyone has a slightly different way of enjoying the outdoors with a system that works for each of our situations. I purchased this trailer used after looking for what I felt was just the right one for me and my wife’s lifestyle. There are many various models but this one is one of 6 made in Bend Oregon in the ‘90’s. I’m 5’-4” and my wife is 5’. We wanted something reasonably low to the ground with easy access. We are also both in our 70’s. The trailer was still expensive but about half of what it would have cost for a new one like Smittybuilt or Manley. It holds a fridge, 8 gallons of water, folding plastic table which mounts under the tent on rails, deep cycle battery with solar charging when at camp, led lights mounted under each corner, lights inside the lockable storage panels, backup lights and electric trailer brakes. The hitch is similar to a Lock n roll fully articulated hitch. You can remove the front half of the hitch and hide it or take it with you when enjoying day trips for security. The doors also lock and the back tailgate can be padlocked if needed. This trailer also weighs in at around 1600-1800 pounds fully loaded. It also has a 30” X 30” storage area in the front under the tent for things like a chain saw or BBQ and propane tank. I can handle the tongue weight myself.
We keep a few various boxes and items in the back of the JL when we take the trailer. ARB fridge, compressor, tire repair kit, 300W lithium battery generator and black box with things needed to make lunch on the trail and away from the trailer. The trailer contains a much more comprehensive bunch of gear for more elaborate meals and cooking/ camping. The only thing I would change would be to have the trailer tires and wheels matching the JL as I only carry a spare tire for the JL. I hope this helps a bit.

OP
OP
D90John

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Hi there “Hayseed”! I will try to answer your questions. If I missed a few then please feel free to shoot me another post or email.
Qualifiers- Ive been doing this my own way for 30 years. Everyone has a slightly different way of enjoying the outdoors with a system that works for each of our situations. I purchased this trailer used after looking for what I felt was just the right one for me and my wife’s lifestyle. There are many various models but this one is one of 6 made in Bend Oregon in the ‘90’s. I’m 5’-4” and my wife is 5’. We wanted something reasonably low to the ground with easy access. We are also both in our 70’s. The trailer was still expensive but about half of what it would have cost for a new one like Smittybuilt or Manley. It holds a fridge, 8 gallons of water, folding plastic table which mounts under the tent on rails, deep cycle battery with solar charging when at camp, led lights mounted under each corner, lights inside the lockable storage panels, backup lights and electric trailer brakes. The hitch is similar to a Lock n roll fully articulated hitch. You can remove the front half of the hitch and hide it or take it with you when enjoying day trips for security. The doors also lock and the back tailgate can be padlocked if needed. This trailer also weighs in at around 1600-1800 pounds fully loaded. It also has a 30” X 30” storage area in the front under the tent for things like a chain saw or BBQ and propane tank. I can handle the tongue weight myself.
We keep a few various boxes and items in the back of the JL when we take the trailer. ARB fridge, compressor, tire repair kit, 300W lithium battery generator and black box with things needed to make lunch on the trail and away from the trailer. The trailer contains a much more comprehensive bunch of gear for more elaborate meals and cooking/ camping. The only thing I would change would be to have the trailer tires and wheels matching the JL as I only carry a spare tire for the JL. I hope this helps a bit.
@D90John Can you give more detail on your set-up? Which trailer and tent - and why?

Also, this is the style that we would prefer. I would rather sleep in the back of the Jeep instead of on top or on the ground. We use our soft top a lot so not sure getting a hardtop and rack is an option for us now.

How do you secure it at a campsite and leave for the day on the trails?
D2A0B1FB-CDC7-4DE3-9C7D-C591269EA8D5.jpeg

CFF3BE26-12F6-4D1C-8853-C8E61957A14F.jpeg

583C5718-CE73-4B9D-B2BE-DA4E69E62B37.jpeg

FB40898B-EA6B-45A3-8262-65F0FB0596F0.jpeg

11218259-18B0-441F-876E-A6B23E2F977E.jpeg

961C553A-54F1-457F-9C56-4BF94D6E289B.jpeg

5716129D-EA0C-433B-B864-CDB870FB3224.jpeg

D0A49230-0AA3-4464-8800-185F7F31DC30.jpeg

sportsguy

First Name
duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JLU Rubicon w/a snail
Occupation
Marketing
Dig your style D90John...! :) (Gotta admire a man who joins a Jeep forum and calls himself D90! :D - I have many friends in the Landie community back home. :) )

Love the setup and the mentality and your approach here. Appreciate your sharing with us, sir. :)

OP
OP
D90John

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Dig your style D90John...! :) (Gotta admire a man who joins a Jeep forum and calls himself D90! :D - I have many friends in the Landie community back home. :) )

Love the setup and the mentality and your approach here. Appreciate your sharing with us, sir. :)
Thanks for the kind comments. We find it to be a very functional, no frills set up that can tackle most trails. I’ve had the “D90” moniker for 20 years and am too lazy to change it up. But I started with a YJ- the JL diesel I currently own is a pretty amazing vehicle- and comfortable too. If these Oregon wildfires ever quit trying to burn our homes down we are heading off to Moab for a few weeks!!! Take care- John

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I pull a small trailer and have pulled it about 13,000 miles in the first year of ownership. I pull this up and down the trail. I set up camp and then go wheeling. It has a TV, (never use it) a digital antenna for the TV, WIFI booster, stereo, (we do use this), fridge, microwave and 22 gallons of on board water with a sink. The sink has a hose that you can connect to it to take showers and air conditioning and heat. We camp year round and been in it down to temps of 2 degrees with a wind chill of -15 degrees and as hot at 110 degrees in Moab. If we know the weather is going to be extreme, we bring a small quiet generator that will power the heat and air conditioning. Otherwise we run off a batteries and an inverter.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer overlanding 1599655344637

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer overlanding 1599655409360

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I pull a small trailer and have pulled it about 13,000 miles in the first year of ownership. I pull this up and down the trail. I set up camp and then go wheeling. It has a TV, (never use it) a digital antenna for the TV, WIFI booster, stereo, (we do use this), fridge, microwave and 22 gallons of on board water with a sink. The sink has a hose that you can connect to it to take showers and air conditioning and heat. We camp year round and been in it down to temps of 2 degrees with a wind chill of -15 degrees and as hot at 110 degrees in Moab. If we know the weather is going to be extreme, we bring a small quiet generator that will power the heat and air conditioning. Otherwise we run off a batteries and an inverter.

Do you worry about locking it up when you go off wheeling? Locking up a wheel, or the hitch or something?

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
@D90John will like this. We used to use our 1964 Series IIA 88 inch Land Rover for this kind of travel. I had a trailer built for this purpose, complete with Series Land Rover hubs so I only had to carry one spare wheel. Boy, we had fun on those trips, but now I'm glad I have a modern vehicle to travel in, my JL.

oIhCLXC.jpg

U2webZA.jpg

OP
OP
D90John

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
@D90John will like this. We used to use our 1964 Series IIA 88 inch Land Rover for this kind of travel. I had a trailer built for this purpose, complete with Series Land Rover hubs so I only had to carry one spare wheel. Boy, we had fun on those trips, but now I'm glad I have a modern vehicle to travel in, my JL.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer overlanding U2webZA

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer overlanding U2webZA
Myron- Love it. I had a 65 IIA for a few years as well. The JL is sooo much more capable and comfortable and I am a few years older and not quite so adventurous. Many of these vehicles have been capable over the years just that we each pick the rig of our choosing. Thanks for the posting my friend-

OP
OP
D90John

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Do you worry about locking it up when you go off wheeling? Locking up a wheel, or the hitch or something?
I have a custom built hitch and I can pull a pin and separate the stinger part from the rest and throw it in the Jeep. Unless someone wants to strap the trailer to the back of their vehicle it’s pretty safe, or as I call it; theft hardened to make it difficult to take. If someone is motivated enough they will find a way to make my day less than awesome.
Sponsored