Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Sport 2-Door, 2019 Honda Odyssey
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lead Pastor, County Projects Coordinator, and Former 88N10 in US Army
I believe the inflated car values were/are a contributor/indicator of rampant inflation. While it is great to get a high trade value on a vehicle, overall we're all losing ground with runaway inflation.

What was the saying? 'A recession is when your neighbor is out of work. A depression is when you are out of work.'
True 100%. With that said though, I will take advantage of the market while it is still ripe for the taking. I dare not look at my 403B because I might cry.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
True 100%. With that said though, I will take advantage of the market while it is still ripe for the taking. I dare not look at my 403B because I might cry.
šŸ˜­ I hear you. I'm worth about half of when I retired a few years ago. And less today than yesterday.

Deleted member 59498

You're forgetting the $7,500 tax credit. Even at sticker you would have "paid" $53,500 for it. The new buyer isn't going to get another $7,500 so $45-50K, trade, doesn't seem to far off to me. Carvana still has to flip it make money on it.

I can buy a new Sahara today for that same price, so why would I pay close to that for your used one?
I think this is accurate for 4xe, they are inflated to me to start with using 7500 credit for new but that would be dropped on used for me if I were buying. So 60k would be more like 53 actual.

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Funny, I look at mine every 2 weeks to see if I should plow more into it (I should, and I do). But Iā€™m nowhere near retirement. Watching near and current retirees is a reminder to decrease my exposure when I get within 10 years.

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Oh im not looking for the crazy inflated values that were happening last year but North of 11k depreciation on a 6 month old low mileage wrangler is not a normal thing in my experience. Maybe other cars but not Wranglers.
Its not normal for wranglers traditionally, but now that there is a hybrid model, expect things with those models to fall in line with traditional hybrid values.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The used car market was incredibly overpriced due to supply constraints on new cars. We knew / hoped that the used car market would eventually return to a somewhat realistic state, right?

40Caliber

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Rubicon
Look on the bright side, there has been a lack of production across all cars for the last 2-3 years. if you bought your Jeep in 2021-2023, it will be a high quality trade when it's 3 years old and there may not be any competition. There is a gap in vehicles in this period due to covid, supply chain shortages etc....... Especially if they keep inflating the current MSRPs

this goes for all vehicles IMO, not just jeeps.

the only way this could backfire is if the recession gets so bad 3 years from now, they are pricing new ones below your 3 year old vehicle. . Probably not likely

Sponsored

rubicon20032003

First Name
Joe wrong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl
Heck I got offered 86k trade on my 392xr sixty days ago.Now 78k so Ill keep it and not replace with a 23.Didnā€™t have the new price increase.Was 77k base price and 87k sticker

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Jeeps and especially wranglers have great resale value. Hybrids and 4Xe Not so much. Whatā€™s the resale value on a used iPhone? Thatā€™s where these hybrid things are headed. Disposable. Electronics technology gets outdated very quickly. Nobody wants used electronics generally.