Reaction score
Website
www.CoastlineInsulation.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 3.0L EcoDiesel
Occupation
Mariner / Entrepreneur / Realtor
Ok,

So I have been reading and attempting everything from deflating the tires, disconnecting the battery, moving the tires to where the TPMS shows the tires... nothing so far.

The issue at hand is that one of my sensors is not reading into the system and shows as red on the display. I took it to the shop to get this sorted but they were never able to figure it out. A couple of hundred dollars down and no resolution, whatever. Then, I get a flat tire. TPMS display shows that the driver front is the one that is low/flat. I get out and look... it is the passenger rear... WTF.

I am not sure what to do or how to fix it. I have also swapped all of the TPMS sensors with OEM sensors and had them checked to ensure that they are able to read them with the scan tool and that they are on the correct frequency, all is well.... just not with the system on the jeep itself.

Has anyone had this issue?

It is bothering me on principle at this point due to the amount of time and money I have spent just trying to figure it out.

Thanks,
Sponsored

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
" . . . I have also swapped all of the TPMS sensors with OEM sensors . . .". Were you running something other than OEM's at some point? Seems pretty strange after all you have gone through. Hope you get it figured out, and keep us posted.

G.

OP
OP
Blaine30a

Blaine30a

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
" . . . I have also swapped all of the TPMS sensors with OEM sensors . . .". Were you running something other than OEM's at some point? Seems pretty strange after all you have gone through. Hope you get it figured out, and keep us posted.

G.
I was.

After swapping to new wheels and 35s I had whatever the tire shop had put in there.

after this didn’t work, I had them removed and then installed the sensors from my stocks.

here is a photo. The one that shows 26 psi is actually my driver rear. I have ascrew in it Abe need to patch it but I’m about to get new tires as I have too many patches as it is and I hate the road noise from these Nitto MTs and want to swap to an AT or Hybrid is quieter.

551F4DC5-0F19-47A6-AA04-F4CA1BF7EB21.jpeg

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The TPMS Frequency changed in June, 2021.
Prior to that, 2014 - June (6) 2021 were the same, could that be the issue ?

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
I just did a 5 tire rotation and the SPARE was low on air, like to 26 PSI. When I went for a small drive it picked up on this and reported a low tire, but in the wrong location. I pumped up what I thought was the low tire and went for a drive and it then showed it was higher than the others and I still had a low tire!….
I got out my digital Air Gage and reset them all (5) to about 37 psi. Went for a slight drive and it seemed to clear everything. Do I know if the locations are correct? Not sure. But I monitored during a drive from my home town down to Watkins Glen Raceway and back and they seemed to do what they normally do.
I wish the TPMS checked all 5 tires. I don’t see why they could not.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Blaine30a

Blaine30a

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The TPMS Frequency changed in June, 2021.
Prior to that, 2014 - June (6) 2021 were the same, could that be the issue ?
it currently picks them up, just in the wrong locations. Except one. It doesn’t pick it up at all

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Sounds like you have a problem with one of the antenna modules.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I wish the TPMS checked all 5 tires. I don’t see why they could not.
The particular system used with JL series Jeeps senses the rotation of the TPMS transmitter before it attempts to assign a location to the signal emitter.

Reactions: J0E

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
The particular system used with JL series Jeeps senses the rotation of the TPMS transmitter before it attempts to assign a location to the signal emitter.
Thanks. I just wish it would pick up the spare along with the other 4 also. I figured it would self regulate at some time. Learning a bit about this JL, only had it a little over a week now.

Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Has anyone had this issue?
Is there a Tazer associated with this Jeep? More than a few owners have found that clearing and resetting their Tazer settings resolved gremlins with the TPMS recognition.

Another thing to keep in mind is the idea that the most likely time for a TPMS transmitter to get damaged is when it is removed from a wheel, so you have to hope that the old TPMS sensors which you eventually moved to your new wheels are working 100%.

I just looked at the price of OEM MOPAR sensors and was disappointed to see that if you can find them in stock, they seem to have doubled in price in the past 1-1/2 years. I had a good experience using a fresh set of OEM sensors when I swapped my JL's wheels, but the price was much lower when I choose to do so.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blaine30a

Blaine30a

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
with that said, any ideait would identify mine in the wrong locations?
I’ve driven a couple thousand miles like this

OP
OP
Blaine30a

Blaine30a

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Is there a Tazer associated with this Jeep? More than a few owners have found that clearing and resetting their Tazer settings resolved gremlins with the TPMS recognition.

Another thing to keep in mind is the idea that the most likely time for a TPMS transmitter to get damaged is when it is removed from a wheel, so you have to hope that the old TPMS sensors that you eventually moved to your new wheels working 100%.

I just looked at the price of OEM MOPAR sensors and was disappointed to see that if you can find them in stock, they seem to have doubled in price in the past 1-1/2 years. I had a good experience using a fresh set of OEM sensors when I swapped my JL's wheels, but the price was much lower when I choose to do so.

Good luck.
Thanks,

No Taser on mine.
I have the same issue with both the aftermarket and oem sensors. It reads 3 of them but all are displayed in the incorrect location

Zipzit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 4x4 Wannabee

Another thing to keep in mind is the idea that the most likely time for a TPMS transmitter to get damaged is when it is removed from a wheel, so you have to hope that the old TPMS sensors that you eventually moved to your new wheels working 100%.

Good luck.
What is the price of the sending unit?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It's a long shot but you might want to check for an ABS code alert.

Is there any reason to think that there may some mud, dirt, sand, or crud on one of your wheel sensors?

The TPMS works in concert with the ABS system's wheel sensors to identify the wheels, so if the ABS wheel sensors are not effective the TPMS system can have issues.

You probably read about it already, but you can try purposefully airing down your tires to something like 20 psi and drive around the block a few times. Then air all the tires to a closely matched pressure that you use for highway driving, (likely lower than the 37psi recommended by Jeep), and go drive around the block making sure to make lots of relatively tight turns so that the wheel speed of each wheel differs enough for the system to start recognizing the unique wheel speed at each wheel.
Sponsored