Sponsored

Spare tire location

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've had my heavy 37" spare located on the cargo floor for 2.5 years. It has never been ideal but was a solid location without a money outlay for an unproven, over weight, expensive alternative. While at EJS last week I talked to two Mopar tech engineers at Jeeps Mopar Performance accessory display. I asked about the need of Mopar's tailgate kit for oversized spare tires. I asked specifically about the hinge and both said it was not found to be the problem, it was the tailgate it self. Both said they were part of the development team and a heavy spare stressed the tailgate. Their kit is designed to spread the load better across the length of the tailgate and relocate a larger tire with the stock bumpers. Both team members said the hinge was not the problem their kit addressed. I asked about the OEM parts carrying 95 lbs., approx. new weight of my 315 BFG's and wheel. Both said they weren't salesman and only added, don't slam the tailgate.
My JLR is soon to gain a lot more interior room after these conversations and without a costly aftermarket expense. Another reason 35's are the sweet spot size on my JLR.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Geez, should have talked about it before. They’ve been saying it ever since the reinforcement bracket came out. I totally love mine.👍

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Well, that's good that they admit there is a problem within the tailgate. But it's not been addressed properly on newer JLs.

I'm using a Rusty's tailgate reinforcement kit. It uses through bolts that pull the tailgate together. I slam the tailgate with confidence. No noises coming from mine while driving.
Will be interesting to see what the MOPAR engineers have came up with.

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Geez, should have talked about it before. They’ve been saying it ever since the reinforcement bracket came out. I totally love mine.👍
They pretty much said I did not need their kit with my 35" tire if I didn't repeatily slam it shut, which hammers the the spare into the tailgate and causes issues.

Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
They pretty much said I did not need their kit with my 35" tire if I didn't repeatily slam it shut, which hammers the the spare into the tailgate and causes issues.
Yeah, but it is a Jeep, and with the weight of the 35s, you do have to give it a good swing to shut it. I combined mine with the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier to adjust the spare position perfectly. couldn't be happier and my mind is at ease. With that anyway ;)

OP
OP
sourdough

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Haha, No doubt Teraflex approves. I am not convinced that an aftermarket ad on is needed. As the Mopar engineers said, we are not salesmen, just don't slam the tailgate. Seems like sound advice and a sensible starting point. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Now, if I just hadn't thrown out the OEM mount :facepalm: due to bad advise from all the aftermarket hype.
Sponsored