Sponsored

TPMS question

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
It is more likely that internet wisdom mis-diagnosis occurs far more frequently than the acceleration sensors, which is the term I should have used previously, in the TPMS sensors misbehave.
I will stop here. Clearly you are an engineer and have done a bunch of reading, think you have learned a bunch and sure to spread more “misinformation” about “acceleration sensors“.
If anyone here needs help please feel free to DM me and we will troubleshoot your issue and get you on the road. I may not be an engineer and love to share my technical wisdom on the internet about a topic I know nothing about however I have been selling and doing TPMS since 2005, Peace out.
Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
When you need fresh TPMS sensors the most sensible place to purchase them is at an authorized MOPAR service parts dealer who can identify and provide the exact sensor you need.

Then it will be highly unlikely you will need to troubleshoot an issue to get down the road. Plug the right thing in and go play.

Good luck!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
When you need fresh TPMS sensors the most sensible place to purchase them is at an authorized MOPAR service parts dealer who can identify and provide the exact sensor you need.

Then it will be highly unlikely you will need to troubleshoot an issue to get down the road. Plug the right thing in and go play.

Good luck!
Nonsensical.... No way would I pay for a Shrader TPMS in a little plastic bag labeled Mopar. Makes no sense at all and for sure will cost you more. Just buy Shrader's from a known, reliable source.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I will stop here. Clearly you are an engineer and have done a bunch of reading, think you have learned a bunch and sure to spread more “misinformation” about “acceleration sensors“.
If anyone here needs help please feel free to DM me and we will troubleshoot your issue and get you on the road. I may not be an engineer and love to share my technical wisdom on the internet about a topic I know nothing about however I have been selling and doing TPMS since 2005, Peace out.
Smart to just walk away from this argument, but don't hesitate to chime in next time someone starts a thread. This forum seems to have more than it's share of self proclaimed "experts" that spread misinformation. They make up for their lack of knowledge by having loud voices and insisting on getting the last word in.

Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If I recall correctly there have been several JL series owners who have had the very same problem you described, and they found that turning off any TPMS warning override, that they made with a Tazer, and setting the Jeep's TPMS thresholds to the default seemed to clear up the wheel location confusion and then they could use the Tazer override again once the tire locations were correctly located.

With regards to the direct TPMS and the Jeep's ABS system, It is my understanding that the JL uses a single TPMS receiver module to observe the rotating TPMS sensors, and the Jeep's electronic control system compares that data to the ABS data which reveals a correlation to each TPMS ID. The Jeep knows exactly where the ABS sensors are wired and it can figure out which wheel is which by making the comparison. So, if for some reason the ABS sensors are not in good shape, and you move the tire positions, the relative locations can be hard for the TPMS system to identify. It's something to think about if a particular Jeep is doing a lot of mudding.

Try resetting the TAZER info, drive around, making sure to make enough relatively tight turns for the tires to spin at unique and identifiable rates, and see if that clears things up.

I hope this helps in some way.

Good luck!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Any chance y’all know if the 6/15/21 Mopar part number revision impacts the Schrader equivalent? Still waiting on the Jeep to be delivered and discount doesn’t have any that work. New Mopars are back ordered, (and by the way listed at the same price as these on the discount site).

Krones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
ok... I was trying to type on my tablet so I thought I'd sit at the computer and write it all out:

I bought these wheels from a woman in Hollywood (FL). According to her, they came right off her 392 and her friend put on her new tires/wheels at his shop. They then sat there for 3 weeks while she tried to sell them, until I picked them up.

I'm pretty sure I got a reading off of them when I first swapped them over as my original tires were sitting at 34 psi. When I put the new wheels on, I aired them all up to 36. They showed up as the two in the rear at 36 and the two front at 37. Everything seemed good. Drove around minimally for a couple of days.

I've had the clicking from the front end when moving slow and turning and I wanted the dealer to check out the ball joints to tighten up the castle nuts. On the way to the dealer, my TPMS sensors cut out, warning light came on and it's stayed that way ever since (see pictures from previous post).

Dealer said they were vin'ed to a 392 and they couldn't program them, and that I needed to buy a new set for them to install @500 for the new sensors plus labor. I tried not to laugh at him and left.

I've also been told that the TPMS sensors were changed to a new part number in late may/early June and that I need the older model (which seemed odd). It tracks with what you said somewhere else about the initial TPMS units with the 29117 being discontinued and replaced with the 29093's but either should work.

Today, I aired down to 25 psi, drove around a bit (about 5 miles), aired back up to 36 (what it says on the door placard) and drove some more but it didn't clear up. Sounds like I should have aired down lower and pulled the spare off the mount too, which I can do tomorrow as another test.

Also, I suppose it's possible that the original owner I got the tires from got TPMS sensors in her new tires that didn't support TFA, and her buddy swapped them out for her original sensors if she had that feature on her 392, but even then, the sensors in the wheels should still work, just not allow me to use that feature, right? Unless that happened, the sensors in my wheels should be as they were from the factory as it's still the original wheel/tire combo that was original to the 392.
Any updates on your situation? Had the tire shop take the stock rims and tires from my 2020 and swap them onto my 2021 4xe. Made it about 15 miles, and now the service TPMS light is on. Selling the 2020 in a few days, and reading this it seems like there might be some sort of compatibility issue with the 4xe sensors. Thinking I might just take it back and have them swap the TPMS sensors into the right wheels.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Any updates on your situation? Had the tire shop take the stock rims and tires from my 2020 and swap them onto my 2021 4xe. Made it about 15 miles, and now the service TPMS light is on. Selling the 2020 in a few days, and reading this it seems like there might be some sort of compatibility issue with the 4xe sensors. Thinking I might just take it back and have them swap the TPMS sensors into the right wheels.
Seems like a mid year part chance impacting builds on or after 6/5. I haven't posted a follow-up because I'm not certain if my issue is incompatible sensors based on build date, or no sensor. Either way, because I sold my original wheels already, I need new sensors which I ordered from tpmsbargains based on the part number from my VIN lookup. Once those come in and get installed, I'll know exactly what the cause was and be able to confirm the part number if I have the wrong (newer) sensors.

New sensors should be here by Monday. Once they get installed and I know what happened, I'll post another update.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
FYI, my window sticker lists “Continental” TPMS sensors. I did try to order the Mopar part number for after 6/5/21 build, but it’s on back order.
Sounds like I’ll have to swap out the sensors as well.

Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I guess the first next question would be, if the 2020 wheels don't seem to work on the 2021, do the 2021 wheels seem to work on the 2020?

I assume you still have spares for each Jeep. It would seem like breaking the beads on the two spares and having a first hand look at the sensors inside could be informative.

The convenience of starting with the spares would minimize the effort required to learn what is in the tires.

Good luck!

Krones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I guess the first next question would be, if the 2020 wheels don't seem to work on the 2021, do the 2021 wheels seem to work on the 2020?

I assume you still have spares for each Jeep. It would seem like breaking the beads on the two spares and having a first hand look at the sensors inside could be informative.

The convenience of starting with the spares would minimize the effort required to learn what is in the tires.

Good luck!
No TPMS error on the 2020 yet, but I haven't driven it much since the swap. The 2021 went for a good 15-20 miles before the TPMS error came up. Taking it in tomorrow and the tire shop is going to break the beads and switch the sensors out. Said they could do it for $50 as long as the connection between the valve stem and the sensor are the same on both the 2020 and 2021.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I hope you will share what you learn. If there are any differences in the parts found within it will be really helpful to learn the details.

Thank you.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
...and just to clarify: When you say "Service TPMS light is on" is that a display that lists the pressures as blank and explicitly says "Service Tire Pressure System, or is just the orange low pressure symbol?

Can you post a photo of the dash display for reference in the future?

Thank you!

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
@Krones Call the dealer and have the parts department look up the part number for your sensors by using your VIN. Also have them give you the build date for your Jeep. Mine was 68510382AA for my 4xe (build date 4/16/21).

My new sensors came in yesterday instead of Monday! Called around, most places couldn't or wouldn't install them ("we don't install parts purchased elsewhere") was the biggest "hurdle" to get past. That and it seems like a lot of places just didn't want to bother with such a small job.

Found a guy near by running a used tire business who not only didn't turn me down, but said as long as I showed up before closing, he'd get it done even though he was really busy. $10 a tire/sensor and I had to fight with him to take the $80 I paid him when he was finished.

The interesting part... there were no sensors in my wheels. I wasn't that surprised, but the confusing part for me was the dealer who checked on them for me told me I had the wrong sensors, not that I had no sensors. I'm assuming they checked for the correct signal, didn't see it and then just assumed that there were sensors, but what they told me was that the sensors I had were VIN'ed to the wrong vehicle. Which, makes no sense, obviously, and I know I'll never go back to that dealer for any type of service.

Thanks @Goin2drt for the assist and the new sensors! They came up within a mile after leaving the shop and all is well.
Sponsored