Towing a utility trailer

NC4x4

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If you're lifted with bigger tires and you are running the spare you'll need a drop hitch, I am running the Mopar 2" lift and I have to run a 8" drop hitch to level out the trailer and a 10" drop would really do a better job. I also had to find one long enough to stick out past the spare otherwise you run the risk of the trailer tongue jack hitting your spare when you make turns. I also could use a set of longer trailer chains due to said extended hitch. In the pick below I was running a 6" drop which wasn't quite enough but was long enough to clear the spare.
0IPTzLRHR0mHJxFLQffWog.jpg

The pic below is with an 8" drop hitch but I need an longer one to clear the spare tire, you can see how close the jack is to the tire.
rhohrm1iRaet5yrl9IWZTQ.jpg

This is the hitch I plan to run in the future to solve both drop and length.
https://bendtrailers.com/curt-5k-10...BrnRSxH5uZxLY24bYYu60QCmrQbTvRqEaArK_EALw_wcB
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I don't know the specifics so am basically shooting from the hip here... The wheels look too far back and the ramp too short to be a good bike trailer. I also don't like the mesh grating...……....
(Satire)

;)Craig: I've read this carefully and want to know if you essentially think that the changes to my setup that I have incorporated in light of your commentary reflect your sentiments:

towing.jpg

It's the model of safety, isn't it?

;)No no, don't thank me....THANK YOU!!!;)

Serious tone: like I said I thought you had great things to say. I'm just playing the fool for laughs here.

Last edited:

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Sippican

Yes, if you plan on towing the trailer over long distances, on the interstates and at express way speeds a quality, light weight, aluminum trailer is desired.

Also a trailer with decent size rims/tires is a must, in my opinion. Say a 175/80D13 LRC, decent brand, tire with rim. No way, with those itty bitty wheels/tires you see the bargain basement trailers with.

No way, will I carry a motorcycle on the interstate with a trailer like the OP mentioned. Sure with that trailer, for around town hauling garbage, a small 4 wheeler or bike, but not for over long distances, on the interstates and at express way speeds with a Harley , etc. on it...

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
YES! The right trailer is important! Don't get one with small wheels if you plan on traveling across states. Wide stance, low to the ground is important. Here is one I use for long trips that take me through major cities. I'm in New England, so getting out of this area of the country is going through New York. Never fun on a bike.

IMG_3414.jpeg

Sponsored

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
YES! The right trailer is important! Don't get one with small wheels if you plan on traveling across states. Wide stance, low to the ground is important. Here is one I use for long trips that take me through major cities. I'm in New England, so getting out of this area of the country is going through New York. Never fun on a bike.

IMG_3414.jpeg

The Mercedes was replaced with this.

IMG_7149.jpg

03Marine

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKL rubicon, 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel.
I towed this at 80 up Monteagle mountain with no issues.

JeepandGeneral.jpg

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
1mysl550.jpg

I feel better seeing this post. I am not the only one to switch from Mercedes to Jeep.
Ya, Jeep has stepped up its game. The GLK350 was ok, nothing exciting. I always like the Jeep but the quality wasn't there in the past. Funny, the cost of the GLK350 back in 2015 is only a couple thousand off from the new 2018 Jeep JL Sahara. MSRP on the Jeep was about 52K, the Mercedes was 56K. I think Mercedes are over rated.

OP
OP

jlrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ6
Thanks for everyone's help with this. I am talking about two electric bicycles and they're each 100+ pounds. I should have mentioned that from the beginning.

A hitch rack won't work because these are actually tricycles with two wheels in front so I can't use something with support designed to go underneath bicycle wheels. I looked for a rack that hangs the bikes from the top but the most weight those can handle is 40 pounds per bike from what I've found (Yakima).

The only place around that has trailers is Tractor Supply so I'm planning on this one:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...r-5-ft-x-8-ft-open-mesh-floor-utility-trailer

with four ratchet straps from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y1S151R

My Jeep is a stock JLU with the tow package.

Good plan?

Sponsored

OP
OP

jlrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ6

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jlrocks

Do look around. Don't just look at the bargain basement trailers at Tractor Supply. There are plenty of places selling trailers that are affordable.

IF you plan on ever towing on the interstates at posted speeds, your best bet is to have a trailer with decent size wheels/tires.

Be sure to buy and always carry a spare tire for the trailer.

Do place rubber keepers on your trailer tow chain hooks.

Do be sure you use a drop hitch with the appropriate drop.

Watch tongue weight and Max weight in general.

Load the trailer properly 60/40. This is even important when carrying light loads.

uuu.png

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’ll be perfectly fine with the Tractor Supply one then.

City/County roads low speeds (sub-55mph)
@MORTON

Like @MORTON mentioned a little small wheel/tire like that is just fine if you stay on local roads and carry a spare for use on the trailer. Such a trailer is limited but for you if you keep to local roads, you would be aok.

Along with the spare, a smart guy, carries a lug nut wrench that fits the lugs that are securing the wheels on the trailer and also carries a jack that is known to do the job in regard to the trailer.

Trailers like you are thinking about purchasing can be found at Lowes, The Home Depot, Tractor Supply, Sam's Club, Local Trailer retailers and elsewhere.

Good to shop around and look them all over.

Pay particular attention to the electrical, the coupling on the trailer, the safety chains and the brand tires.

Sponsored