RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I'm planning to buy a utility trailer like this one for a couple of heavy e-bikes:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Carry-On-T...e-Mesh-Utility-Trailer-with-Ramp-Gate/3005264

I've never towed anything before. What do I need besides the trailer?
1) Make sure that the combined weight of the trailer and bikes does not exceed the towing limit of 3500 pounds of the JL.

2) You need to get/have a hitch if you don't have one. You need not buy a MOPAR. Make sure it is a 2" receiver hitch of Type II class . Most JK hitches (it's one of the few things from the JK that does) and JL hitches will fit.

3) If you don't have the trailer hitch package with the JL you will need a 4 pin lights adapter I suspect for the trailer to be street legal in CA. https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2018_Jeep_JL+Wrangler+Unlimited.htm . Please use its long wire to go directly to the battery to draw current. Especially if you have the LED lights, these factory wires that energize the LED lights of the rig shouldn't also be energizing your trailer's lights, just indicating (when they are on) when the trailer's lights should be on.

4) You will need a 1 7/8" hitch ball for your 2" receiver hitch

5) You will likely need to coordinate with the CA DMV to have your trailer inspected and issued plates. In fact check with them first to make sure the trailer you want to buy can be street legal in CA and registered there.

6) You will need sufficient tie downs for the bikes.

7) If you are new to towing, remember, when towing forward, the trailer goes in the same direction of the steering wheel (as does the rig,) but when backing up, unlike the rig, the trailer goes in the opposite direction to the steering wheel.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Don't know about e-bikes, but for my motorcycle I just use ratcheting tie-downs and keep them as snug as possible to prevent tipping.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
More fodder. Maybe you want to turf the job out to U-Haul etc. for installation. I know not of your mechanical level or toolset but a torx wrench is important in these situations.

I think the Wrangler hitch's 4 bolts are as simple as hitch installations get (you should see how some are very tricky), but if it's beyond your comfort skill level I do not judge you, I simply suggest you turf the job out to someone who is familiar.

The hitch will almost invariably come with two holes into which you (must) put the safety chains.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Considering the payload capacity of the trailer is 1650 lbs, I don't think there is really any worry of exceeding the Jeep's tow capacity...

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Keep on thinking of more..if you need access to the back of the rig while towing, make sure you can open the tailgate sufficiently with this setup.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Considering the payload capacity of the trailer is 1650 lbs, I don't think there is really any worry of exceeding the Jeep's tow capacity...
Agreed @digitalbliss … I'm just giving the advice "by the book.";)

We all benefit when a trailer is properly towed.;)

PowerGuy

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS StingGray
I would consider a wooden floor, the mesh flooring can be weak, the welds are not that good. I’ve replaced the mesh floor on my small trailer after only two years and I only hauled lawnmowers and yard equipment..

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
@RussJeep1 has plenty of sound advice as usual! However - the OP didn't actually state if there is already a tow package installed or not.

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I'm planning to buy a utility trailer like this one for a couple of heavy e-bikes:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Carry-On-T...e-Mesh-Utility-Trailer-with-Ramp-Gate/3005264

I've never towed anything before. What do I need besides the trailer?
Seems like overkill for 2 e-bikes? There has to be a lighter / easier to store solution unless you want a utility trailer as well.

Here’s a smaller/cheaper option.
https://m.harborfreight.com/1090-lbs-capacity-40-12-in-x-48-in-utility-trailer-62645.html

XJ-99

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (sold), 2010 Toyota RAV4v6 Limited (sold), 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Mojito!
Watch some trailer safety videos on Youtube. There are plenty of them and very informative.

Here's one concerning just safety chains.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
As long as it is a JLU. JL is 2,000 pounds.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
Also remember tongue weight. You need to properly place the load on the trailer to distribute the weight appropriately.

This is what happens when it's incorrect:

60/40 split in front of and behind the trailer axle is ideal. See this video:

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
I don't know the specifics so am basically shooting from the hip here... The wheels look too far back and the ramp too short to be a good bike trailer. I also don't like the mesh grating. You are going to get a boatload of flex going on with two bikes tied down to that and the mesh adds zero rigidity, though the upper rail might?

With the wheels so far back you'll have a lot of weight on the tongue. I don't know what e-bikes weigh so I don't know if it'd be an issue or not. For reference we used to load bikes so the engines were just in front of the trailer axle. I also don't know how high off the ground the deck is, but with a short ramp you might have issues with high centering the bike(s) when trying to load and unload them. Then again, looking at the other photos in the ad the ramp likely isn't an issue.

I don't use utility trailers and tie downs these days but I used to use a 4x8 utility trailer with a plywood base and front wheel chocks most all the time. I think the record was roughly $40k worth of bikes on a $150 trailer... we were young and stupid. Anyway, four tie downs - two on the front and two on the back. Yes I've had tie downs fail but never lost a bike because redundancy is your friend.

If you've never towed I'm going to guess you've never tied a bike down to a trailer before either. Ask someone to show you how. A lot of newbies want to secure the bike on the side sidestand. Don't do that. No side or centerstands involved - front wheel into the chock (lots of guys don't use them but they're cheap insurance IMHO) and tie downs do the rest. Get some "soft ties" too. Google it. Lots of guys swear by ratcheting straps, I only use those on cars, the hand tensioned straps work fine on bikes. Just personal preference there - you don't have to reef them down THAT hard. Leave some travel in the forks.

What else do you need? I'd guess:

*Receiver that drops the ball down a few inches to keep the trailer level.
*4x8 sheet of plywood for a better base to bolt stuff to
*2 front wheel chocks to bolt to the plywood/trailer and hold the bikes in position. You may not want them all the way forward. And/or you may not want both bikes in the same positon, moving one further forward may ease trying to find space for the bars/mirrors/etc.
*4 "soft ties" per bike, just in case. You can never have too many soft ties available.
*4 tie down straps per bike. You can never have too many tie down straps available
*Numerous eye bolts to put around the perimieter of the trailer and give you somewhere to attach the end of the tie downs. You can never have too many locations to attach tie downs to the trailer.

Depending on access to the front end, you may want a "canyon dancer" for the bars. It's a harness that straddles both grips and gives you somewhere to attach a tiedown. They can damage bikes (typically by tweaking the throttle housing) but some times there is no other choice aside from removing bodywork to get a good place for the tie downs. You just have to be careful when using them and you'll still have to deal with grips being moved.

I have been known to bolt blocks onto the platform to keep the rear wheels from walking sideways in transit. If you can angle the straps out this isn't an issue, but if the rear straps go pretty much straight forward and the bikes are close together... one more cheap insurance item. Chocks and blocks keep things from moving sideways or the bars from turning. Tie downs pull the bike forward into the chocks. I never run straps that pull the bike backwards...

All of THAT said... some guys will take a trailer like that, run two bikes up into the front rail, take two ties downs for each bike and clip them on the bars, tighen them down, and motor. Those guys scare me but it works for them. Usually.
Sponsored

Last edited: