Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
Not mentioned yet, but also check your headlight alignment. My JLU is aimed at the max height when not towing. When I towed a utility trailer the weight of the tongue was enough to raise the nose so that oncoming drivers felt I had my brights on. After you hook up the trailer, drive up to a wall and be sure the headlights are at the right height.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Good advise on towing here, so I won't add anything there. On the issue of the trailer, however, you can't beat Kendon. They are spendy, for sure, but they tow amazingly well. I have towed my 1290 Super Duke GT and my 500EXC and it's like nothing is even there.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I don't know the specifics so am basically shooting from the hip here... The wheels look too far back....
Really strong color commentary Craig. I learned too. Thanks.

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
I see a lot of questions on weight etc ...
a heavy ebike is 75#. OP said a couple bikes, I’m assuming 2 bikes 150#. Let’s round up and say 200#.

eBikes are electric BICYCLES?

On a trailer?

Oh....

Nevermind. ;)

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
eBikes are electric BICYCLES?

On a trailer?

Oh....

Nevermind. ;)
I’m guessing ebicycle vs e motorcycle???
2 could be heavy for a traditional bike hitch rack vs Jeep tongue weight (2x100# + 50# rack = 250#) and too heavy for OP to lift up?

I think your post was spot on for general trailerin and motorcycle trailering (I learned from it) and maybe I’m misreading ebike as bicycle?

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
I’m guessing ebicycle vs e motorcycle???
2 could be heavy for a traditional bike hitch rack vs Jeep tongue weight (2x100# + 50# rack = 250#) and too heavy for OP to lift up?

I think your post was spot on for general trailerin and motorcycle trailering (I learned from it) and maybe I’m misreading ebike as bicycle?
You're probably right. My brain is pretty much hardwired to assume motorycle is the answer to most questions. "Where'd the money go?" Motorcycle. "What're you doing this weekend" Motorcycle. "How'd you get that bruise?" Motorcycle. "What's that movie about?" Motorcycle. "How did you come up with your dog's name?" Motorcycle. It's a phase I'm going through. It's only been 30 years but it's already starting to fade.

I'm really shooting from the hip on tongue weights and things but if it were me, I'd want a carrier for the two rather than a trailer. They make hitch carriers for motorcycles... two heavy bicycles seems doable. I'm thinking for the $600 that trailer costs I could come up with a pretty nice, heavy duty bicycle carrier w/ramp but I have a lot of resources available to me most people might not have.

If they ARE bicycles, and the trailer is needed due to loading issues, I'd rig up something on the front rail to keep the tires in place and just strap them to the rail. That "something" could be as simple as two eyebolts screwed through the upper rail? Depends on the rail height and tire diameter. Figure out how to keep the rear tires in place (there are numerous methods) and you're good to go.

If the bikes only weigh 75 lbs each, that trailer's probably going to bounce around like a bouncy thing even when loaded though.

Forgive the train of thought posting here but if they are bicycles, I'd go with a folding utility trailer. They're easier to find a place for when you aren't using them. That's what I used for motorcycles for ages. I hate storing trailers... when not in use they are a PITA. Hence the thought of a carrier instead. On even FURTHER thought (you know what they say, at some point you have to shoot the engineer and start production) dealing with a folding trailer would be more of a hassle than dealing with loading bicycles on a carrier IMHO.

If' they're bicycles, seriously look into a suitable hitch mounted carrier. Somebody must build one.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
You're probably right. My brain is pretty much hardwired to assume motorycle is the answer to most questions. "Where'd the money go?" Motorcycle. "What're you doing this weekend" Motorcycle. "How'd you get that bruise?" Motorcycle. "What's that movie about?" Motorcycle. "How did you come up with your dog's name?" Motorcycle. It's a phase I'm going through. It's only been 30 years but it's already starting to fade.

I'm really shooting from the hip on tongue weights and things but if it were me, I'd want a carrier for the two rather than a trailer. They make hitch carriers for motorcycles... two heavy bicycles seems doable. I'm thinking for the $600 that trailer costs I could come up with a pretty nice, heavy duty bicycle carrier w/ramp but I have a lot of resources available to me most people might not have.

If they ARE bicycles, and the trailer is needed due to loading issues, I'd rig up something on the front rail to keep the tires in place and just strap them to the rail. That "something" could be as simple as two eyebolts screwed through the upper rail? Depends on the rail height and tire diameter. Figure out how to keep the rear tires in place (there are numerous methods) and you're good to go.

If the bikes only weigh 75 lbs each, that trailer's probably going to bounce around like a bouncy thing even when loaded though.

Forgive the train of thought posting here but if they are bicycles, I'd go with a folding utility trailer. They're easier to find a place for when you aren't using them. That's what I used for motorcycles for ages. I hate storing trailers... when not in use they are a PITA. Hence the thought of a carrier instead. On even FURTHER thought (you know what they say, at some point you have to shoot the engineer and start production) dealing with a folding trailer would be more of a hassle than dealing with loading bicycles on a carrier IMHO.

If' they're bicycles, seriously look into a suitable hitch mounted carrier. Somebody must build one.
Agree w everything you are saying. Here’s an extreme solution. Rack is 69#.

1ADC8430-93B2-4816-BD4F-283F61441364.jpeg

Sponsored

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Well if we are talking about bicycles, then I agree with those who suggest a hitch mount like those from Kuat or 1Up. I use a Kuat NV 2.0 myself which is rated for 2 bikes of 60 lbs each. I'd wager it'll handle a fair bit more than that.

Robtdcarr

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon. 2015 Ford Explorer. 2005 HD Softail Deuce. 2017 VW Passat.
I would consider a wooden floor, the mesh flooring can be weak, the welds are not that good. I’ve replaced the mesh floor on my small trailer after only two years and I only hauled lawnmowers and yard equipment..
I agree 100% with PG and the decking option. I have this exact trailer and it bounced a lot due to being light weight. The 1/2” plywood decking really helped. I also added the Reese trailer jack. Makes it really easy to move around.

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of great info. I have owned about every size and shape trailer out there. Buy an aluminum trailer. More money up front, but lighter which means better gas mileage, better looking and if you can find a nice used one you will not loose a dime if you decide to sell it. Good luck.
Sponsored