UltraMongo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Overland JL 3.6L 2 Door GC
Greetings All,

just wanted to vent my frustration here on the ordering process for my Jeep Wrangler here in Sydney. I ordered my 2 door Wrangler back in March this year, and provided the dealership with a list of additions that I wanted to have added, which included: tow bar, slush mats, air reflectors, sill guards, vehicle cover and dash cam.

I understand that we have to wait several months for orders to Australia, due to the logistics involved. And recent lock downs and stay at home orders have not helped at all.

I just received a call from the dealership advising that they are unable to supply a genuine Mopar tow bar, and will have to install a Hayman Reese tow bar which will involve some cutting to the vehicle to install! I am moving to the country in a few weeks, so I have no choice but to have the non-genuine tow bar installed.

A question for @JeepCares: Why are no backup stocks of accessories kept in Australia? I would have thought that a tow bar would be a basic requirement when ordering a new Jeep - especially here in Australia! I called the company that fits these Hayman Reese tow bars in Sydney and they tell me that they have fitted 5 of these tow bars to new Wranglers - in just the past couple of weeks! Not including my JL! Does the fitting of a non-Mopar tow bar affect warranty, or anything else that I am not aware of?

Thanks!
UltraMongo
Sponsored

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I run the Blue OX tow bar and does an amazing job very easy hookup. I also have an aftermarket bumper that allowed me to use the d ring attachment points so no need to use a base plate.

OP
OP
UltraMongo

UltraMongo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I run the Blue OX tow bar and does an amazing job very easy hookup. I also have an aftermarket bumper that allowed me to use the d ring attachment points so no need to use a base plate.
Thanks for the reply thecritter! So I guess that non-Mopar is OK? I am just a bit annoyed - this is my first new vehicle, and I wanted everything to be perfect! Looked into the Hayman Reese towbar - it actually gets installed so that the number plate covers it. It has a hinge so that you just lift up the plate to attach - so maybe not so bad! I have been ordering JL accessories from the US for the past few months, and they only take 2 weeks max to get here, so cannot understand why the Mopar Tow Bar is such a problem...

Jeep Wrangler JL Towbar Issue - Sydney Australia JeepWranglerTBpic1

Jeepster_Aus

First Name
Renier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
They will cut/butcher your rear bumper even if it’s for a factory towbar in Australia. This is due to the different style of bumper we get on the overseas model compared to the US model. Wait until you see the ridiculous number plate relocation on the factory option - the ARB number plate relocation is way better.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Outside of the US, they are referring to the receiver hitch.

Sponsored

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
A number plate positioned in your photo would be illegal as it cannot be read.

Jeep did not cut into my bumper. They did move my number plate onto the tyre. This meant I lost the tyre cover which is disappointing.

Jeep Wrangler JL Towbar Issue - Sydney Australia 20210821_133307

OP
OP
UltraMongo

UltraMongo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your photos are a JK
Apologies - should have explained better - these photos are from the tow bar installer's website. I have not taken delivery of my JL as yet - hoping for next week.

OP
OP
UltraMongo

UltraMongo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A number plate positioned in your photo would be illegal as it cannot be read.

Jeep did not cut into my bumper. They did move my number plate onto the tyre. This meant I lost the tyre cover which is disappointing.

Jeep Wrangler JL Towbar Issue - Sydney Australia 20210821_133307
Thanks for posting the photo - I was sure that I had seen a genuine Jeep tow connection here in Australia! I guess that is another issue entirely if you have to move the rego plate onto the tire. Seems like no easy fix for Jeeps in Aus. I notice that the US has their rego plates on the rear drivers side of the bumper, completely avoiding the tow area.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Looks like you remove the hitch when not towing and the license plate drops down.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
To remove my spare, I have to remove the number plate. To do that, the correct tool to use is the Jeep toolkit that comes with your Jeep.

OP
OP
UltraMongo

UltraMongo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess that the Hayman Reese tow bar under the rego plate that I am going with is probably my best option - even though it does involve cutting into the bumper. I am getting an Overland with the metal spare cover, so if I went with the rego on the spare option, I will have to get rid of the cover completely - and removing the rego plate to get to the spare seems like an additional hassle!
Sponsored