JL Wrangler Overland Factory TowBar + Licence Plate Location

iMick

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Overland 2 Door
Hi just bought my first Jeep, a 2020 JL Overland. Awesome car so far, except I just took it back to the dealer to fit the factory towbar as it was out of stock when I got the car 2 weeks ago.

As a Jeep noob, is this seriously the correct fit for the licence plate? I understand the logic of moving it, but drilling holes in the fancy spare tyre carrier and installing a massive piece of steel plate that looks like it should be on some apprentices' 4x2 trayback hilux????? You can barely see out the rear view camera now!

Response from dealer is they followed the instructions provided with the kit. It looks complete crap, some dodgy thirdparty accessory you would get of wish.com etc.

Has anyone else had a towbar mounted on a Overland or a model with the hard wheel cover?

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler Overland Factory TowBar + Licence Plate Location IMG_2761

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler Overland Factory TowBar + Licence Plate Location IMG_2762

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler Overland Factory TowBar + Licence Plate Location IMG_2763

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler Overland Factory TowBar + Licence Plate Location IMG_2764
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Remove the plate and have it powder coated, that might help. Looks like an Aussie only special edition and it’s a pretty horrible placement.

OP
OP
iMick

iMick

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Overland 2 Door
If I don't have any luck, I think I'm going to just fix the plate and the lights directly to the hard cover. I've also just noticed that if you don't happen to have the correct torx bit you can't change your tyre if you have a flat. Friggn useless Jeep!

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
That torx bit comes with every new Jeep in a small tool kit. And...how come the tag isn't mounted on the left rear bumper like US Jeeps?

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Towbar?? Looks like a hitch to me. My towbar is mounted to the front. And my license plate is mounted to the left on top of the rear bumper. I clicked on this thread because I did have to fabricate a mount for my front plate due to an aftermarket bumper and towbar.