Sponsored

Topsy Lift thread

STLYoungblood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, drill attachment works great. Almost would be better with a corded drill, seems to put my 10 year old Makita through the paces...though that could be old tech screaming lol
Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Well my Topsy brackets were ordered immediately after my last post. After talking to my brother, who has a JK, I'm definitely going with the electric hoist. He's using a Racor lift with his, and he said it's not as convenient as he'd like it to be so he doesn't take his top off that often as he would if it were easier. From his description, it sounds like Racor gets a little tougher to crank as you get the top higher and closer to the ceiling. Not sure why that would be, but I'm just relaying what he said. Despite that one issue he does seem to really like the system. Though on a related note, he's also using straps all around rather than the Topsy brackets, but he hadn't heard of them yet. I suspect he'll buy a set once he sees mine.

I'll be sure to post my set up once I get it all purchased and installed.
I’m not sure why. Mine was just about even the entire way up. I have a shorter room (basically the minimum height for the lift) and it works just fine. I’m not the hulk or anything, but I felt very little resistance.

Now, that said, be careful you aren’t binding it. As it gets higher, the angle increases and can lead to overlap. That will certainly stress it and is obviously bad. But if it wraps correctly, there is very little resistance.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yup, drill attachment works great. Almost would be better with a corded drill, seems to put my 10 year old Makita through the paces...
My brother told me the same thing. He said he cranks it by hand because he thinks continued use of his cordless drill is going to ruin it. He said it seems like it would work fine with a corded 1/2 drill.

I'm gonna stick to the electric hoist idea. I can use it to raise/lower the top, plus any other lifting. Specifically, it will likely make folding my trailer easier now that I've added some supports and decking, which made it a bit heavier.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I ordered my Topsy brackets. I was having a slow day yesterday at work and designing a homemade hoist when I stumbled on the Harken hoist. This looks like what I need, something low profile and minimalist. Seems pricey at $145 on Amazon, but I'm sure my parts list I was compiling was approaching that anyways, and this I at least know works.

I'll still probably rig up some chains or heavy duty straps so when I get the top raised up in place it is secured by the chains/straps rather than just the rope and pulleys, because it's going to be hanging over my sports car and I'll sleep better that way.

Sponsored

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
For those that ordered Topsy brackets did you get an email saying they had shipped? I ordered Tuesday but haven’t heard anything since

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
For those that ordered Topsy brackets did you get an email saying they had shipped? I ordered Tuesday but haven’t heard anything since
I do know they run a tad behind. But yes, they email when shipped. I got them very quickly after that.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Nope, I haven't heard anything yet. Good to know that they're a bit slow though, or I may have started to wonder what was going on.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
I got an email about a week after my order was placed. Then had them in hand in 4 days after that I believe.

Sponsored

the_webers_inc

First Name
T. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd, 2011 Subaru Forester X Premium 5spd
Not yet. Mine arrived Monday. If all goes well, hopefully will assemble the lift with the Topsy cable drive cams tomorrow afternoon or Friday.

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S 4 Door
Nice. I just ordered a lift which should be here Friday and i ordered the plates today. Not sure when they'll arrive via first class. Anxious to see your post or to get mine and install!
Not yet. Mine arrived Monday. If all goes well, hopefully will assemble the lift with the Topsy cable drive cams tomorrow afternoon or Friday.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4

Ryp11

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara in ocean blue
My lift arrived today but nothing on the topsy order. Still have time as the Jeep is still riding the train.
Sponsored