Topsy Lift thread

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I think this deserves it’s own thread.

Has anyone installed the Topsy brackets on JL yet? Can you share your experience? Thanks.
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, I haven't lifted the top off with them yet. I put some short cargo straps and carabiners on order through Amazon. They should be here on Monday.

The only thing I'll note is that the hinges on the rear window are spring loaded. When you loosen the hinge bolts, they tend to press outward, maintaining pressure on the bolt head and washer. Once you loosen a side, you'll want to use your thumb to press against the center of the hinge so you can slip the bracket under the washers. It can be a little tedious but it still only takes a few minutes.

This picture is just to illustrate what I'm talking about.
43093550671_b980514aee_b.jpg

42374877854_38dd6b9c26_b.jpg

Note that the bracket doesn't appear to impact the other side of the hinge. There is plenty of room in there so it's not putting any pressure on the glass.
42374877804_f1d5cae452_b.jpg

Just a quick look at my Racor lift setup. I put my hardtop up there on Sunday and just took it down last night to put the brackets on. It took about 30 minutes to take the top off without the brackets using a cargo strap threaded under the hinges for the rear. It took me about 15 minutes to put the top back onto my Jeep.
43093550691_abfc07b4e9_b.jpg

OP
OP
BWWJL

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, I haven't lifted the top off with them yet. I put some short cargo straps and carabiners on order through Amazon. They should be here on Monday.

The only thing I'll note is that the hinges on the rear window are spring loaded. When you loosen the hinge bolts, they tend to press outward, maintaining pressure on the bolt head and washer. Once you loosen a side, you'll want to use your thumb to press against the center of the hinge so you can slip the bracket under the washers. It can be a little tedious but it still only takes a few minutes.

This picture is just to illustrate what I'm talking about.
43093550671_b980514aee_b.jpg

42374877854_38dd6b9c26_b.jpg

Note that the bracket doesn't appear to impact the other side of the hinge. There is plenty of room in there so it's not putting any pressure on the glass.
42374877804_f1d5cae452_b.jpg

Just a quick look at my Racor lift setup. I put my hardtop up there on Sunday and just took it down last night to put the brackets on. It took about 30 minutes to take the top off without the brackets using a cargo strap threaded under the hinges for the rear. It took me about 15 minutes to put the top back onto my Jeep.
43093550691_abfc07b4e9_b.jpg
Thanks Sgt Beavis! Look forward to your review when you take off w Topsy installed.

OP
OP
BWWJL

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Sgt Beavis! Look forward to your review when you take off w Topsy installed.
One more ... why not just buy straps from Topsy?

Sgt Beavis said: ↑
Yea, I haven't lifted the top off with them yet. I put some short cargo straps and carabiners on order through Amazon. They should be here on Monday

Sponsored

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
I just bought the red brackets this morning. Should be here on tuesday. I already have the DIY straight-from-home-depot hoist system that works well. It just so happens the only thing that is frustrating is getting the hooks around under the rear of the top with the window up and padding the hooks. These Topsy brackets seem like they may just take all of that hassle away. I think they look cool too sticking out the back of a black hardtop on a JLUR.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
BWWJL

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Now that's a damn good deal.

Sponsored

Yellow109r

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLUR, Bright White
Occupation
Aircraft Industrial Engineer for the DoD
Vehicle Showcase
Installed mine and im using the Racor lift. Its so easy to take the top off now and you dont mess up your rear window seals

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Waiting for mine to arrive (ordered red.) Ordered last Fri, but disappointed they didn't ship until TODAY. Grrr...!

STLYoungblood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Ocean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Mine are in the mail now. I was going to pull the trigger on the racor lift too, but the most recent reviews about how the lift has changed has me very worried. For the price, I'm thinking of passing now. I think what I'll do is wait and get the topsy stuff installed and pull it all through to see how I want to construct something of my own. I'm currently envisioning 5 pulleys and a trailer winch or something like that.

Also, damn...if I was anywhere near San Diego I'd be all over that.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mine are in the mail now. I was going to pull the trigger on the racor lift too, but the most recent reviews about how the lift has changed has me very worried. For the price, I'm thinking of passing now. I think what I'll do is wait and get the topsy stuff installed and pull it all through to see how I want to construct something of my own. I'm currently envisioning 5 pulleys and a trailer winch or something like that.

Also, damn...if I was anywhere near San Diego I'd be all over that.
Ya know, if I had read those reviews, I might have held off on buying one like you have. However I will say that thus far I haven't had a problem with it. That plastic gear piece is a bit of a concern though. I think I'll put a u-bolt there like one buyer did to cover my ass. Fortunately I'm using it only for my top and the freedom panels. That's probably less than half of the max weight rating.

Oh, and one thing I've noticed on a few installs. Some folks aren't putting lag bolts in the holes that are next to the pulleys. IMO that's a mistake. There is probably a lot of pressure on those arms at that point. I installed the bolts there and I highly recommend everyone else do that same.
Sponsored