First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra, 2019 JLR ordered 12/22/2018
Occupation
FAA
Shouldn’t these kind of questions been bought up pre vs post purchase?
Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
This is why the tubular half doors exist.

I think of them as "kiddie keepers" cuz they help keep the kids in the Jeep. Also, tubular half doors will be the only way I can imagine getting my brother's wife to let the kids ride in my Jeep.
The half doors are too low. It’s the car seat that keeps kids in the Jeep. The doors do nothing.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Shouldn’t these kind of questions been bought up pre vs post purchase?
Probably a good point.

My opinion is that the doors should stay on at least until they're done with booster seats, top down/off shouldn't be a big deal. Some people take front doors off and leave back seat doors on for the kids. But my kids were way past booster seats before I bought a Wrangler (back then I had a Town & Country :rock:), so take it for what it's worth.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
My boys were 5/7 last year and liked summer with the top off, or sides/back off. Even if you aren't topless this year, you will in a year or two. With the soft top, I like the sides/rear off the most. Highway wouldn't be fun in the rear, but we are just driving around town...50mph tops.

GL!
Nothing better than smiling kids enjoying a ride in a topless Jeep.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Everytime I pick my son up from elementary school in the afternoons, there are kids and teachers staring at my Jeep. My son feels like a superhero while he's walking out to hop in. Life is short. Throw the top open!

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I have a two door, but when the weather is nice, the doors are off and the top is down or at least all the windows removed. My three year old loves it. With a two door, it also makes it easier to put him in his car seat in the back seat.

OP
OP
Impy5

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Thanks all for the input! I'm definitely going to look into getting the sun shade when the time comes but happy to hear so many do it without issue. I haven't purchased the JLU yet, the lease on my GC will be up in a few months so I'm planning on making the jump then. I like do to my research and ask questions a head of time and be as thorough as possible because my decisions don't just affect me anymore. Looking forward to being part of the community.

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
The half doors are too low. It’s the car seat that keeps kids in the Jeep. The doors do nothing.
True, but it's about appearances.

If you think about it, common sense and a desire for self preservation is what really keeps anyone in or on a vehicle, but concerned onlookers don't really think like that.

To be real, there is no way I would load up the Jeep with my Nephew and Nieces, they are way to rambunctious for me to lead or influence at their ages, 11, 9, and 6. I would only take the oldest, and the others when they display a bit more maturity, one at a time; at least untill they are all a good deal older and better behaved.

I think of note here is that I do not do babysitting duty, I have too much fun playing with them to take the role of authority, that is my brother's job and problem. :P

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
It's extremely easy with the MyTop powered convertible top. Nothing worse than impatient kids waiting for you remove all your rear windows, then walking back and forth to fold the top down. Then when one complains about the sun or cold, you can just button everything up in mere seconds.

F.E.R

First Name
F.E.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 OCEAN BLUE SAHARA JLU!!!; 2012 Honda Accord - gonzo!; 2016 Honda Odyssey; 2016 Toro TimeCutter SS 5000
Might also consider some kind of ear protection. Partially as a safety measure to protect hearing and mostly for comfort to reduce wind buffeting (and mostly for higher-speed driving; on slow surface streets / off-road its not an issue). I've got a pair of good in-ear ones for myself and I keep some of the squishable ones on hand if the kids want them - again, usually when traveling 50MPH+ for extended time.

Sponsored

crushinit

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and WK2
Rear sunshade works perfectly for kids in the back.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Full length Alien sunshade. My girls are 4 and 7 and man u better believe they'd ride in the topless Jeep all day. Keep doors on tho...

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've got two sproglings in five point harnesses. They LOVE having the doors and top off. The younger doesn't like "the forest". Apparently I'm scary off-road.

Might also consider some kind of ear protection.
Now THAT'S a good idea. Gets kinda loud on the highway.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
In the warmer months, I try do the top all the way down when it’s not too ridiculously hot and humid.

Both kids enjoy it, though the big one seems to enjoy less now than when he was younger (he’s 18). The little one (she’s 7yo) enjoys it, though she gets cranky when its sunny & really hot and I put the top down. I ran a Spiderweb shade on my JK, and I picked one up for my JL to help soften the sun’s rays some.

Dan S

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Sahara
Occupation
Elevator Mechanic Apprentice
I'm always intrigued by these questions... Are peoples children usually held in their other vehicles by the roof or doors? They may be doing it wrong.
Sponsored