Sponsored

Doors off with kids

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I take mine off when we are just tooling around our town or if we are taking a stroll out to the Texas Hill Country of the Lake. I also only have one child and she rides in the middle. We love the doors off!
This, 100% this! Kids ride on motorcycles, and other unsafe things. Heck as a kid I rode in the back of a station wagon inches from the back door, no seat belt and just laying there playing games. If we were to have gotten rear ended I would not be here.

With all that said you can take the doors off and be safe, you can off road with a kid and be safe. Would I let my daughter sit on the side and stick her leg out the door flying down the freeway... heck no! But seeing the smile on her face sitting in the middle of the back seat with no doors and no top is priceless! It will be memories she will carry with her entire life. It will hopefully fuel her passions for Jeeps when she gets older. There is nothing wrong with being extra cautious and keeping the doors on, but do not judge those who want to have fun with their little ones while they are still little and can make memories for a life time. It is really no different then letting you kid play football, snow skiing or any other "dangerous" sport that has a chance of serious injury. As a parent you have to weigh what a child wants with what you think is best and safest.
Sponsored

RubiconZ

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Super scary, keeping an eye on kids in the back, corners and abrupt stops... almost makes Jeeping stressful! Under 20, in neighbor hood and farm trails with rear off, anything else rears are on! If the little guy falls asleep he would fall right out.

4708636B-0999-4371-B976-E0A4F3D075F0.jpeg

EJ3CTA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my doors off a few times while I had my boys and they loved it! It comes down to knowing your kids and making the appropriate decisions to ensure their safety. My 11 year old sits up front and my 5 year old sits in the back, but I move his seat to the middle so I can see him in the rear view mirror at all times. If he was the type of kid to mess with his seat belt or not sit still, he wouldn't get to ride with the doors off.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I give them the talk about not unbuckling or hanging out the side. The youngest still has his booster seat instead of relying on the standard seatbelt.

But other than that, they love it and I don’t worry too much. I drive carefully and avoid long highway stints.
Sponsored