Impy5

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I'm always intrigued by these questions... Are peoples children usually held in their other vehicles by the roof or doors? They may be doing it wrong.
My question wasn't centered around safety, more a question of comfort and whether or not they enjoy it.
Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
When I first got it my daughter (4) said she liked the top down, but when i'd start driving and she'd feel the wind and have the sun beaming on her she'd quickly change her mind, which was accompanied by throwing a fit! I'd end up pulling over in a parking lot and putting it back up. As she got more and more used to it she started requesting that i put the top down and would not complain. Now its cold out and she is asking me to put the top down and i'm like we have to wait until its warmer out but she is all about it.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
Might also consider some kind of ear protection. Partially as a safety measure to protect hearing and mostly for comfort to reduce wind buffeting (and mostly for higher-speed driving; on slow surface streets / off-road its not an issue). I've got a pair of good in-ear ones for myself and I keep some of the squishable ones on hand if the kids want them - again, usually when traveling 50MPH+ for extended time.
This is extremely important. Highway speeds + top off (and especially doors off) means hearing damage the longer trips become. This isn't just true for kids - just plug up if you're gonna be doing a cruise. Around town, not so big of a deal, nor is a 15 minute jaunt. A few hours on the highway is a different story.

NHJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 CJ5
My kids enjoy it, but cold days can be tough. Added heated seats to the rear and everyone is much happier!

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I know many people here have younger children, and I know the JLU is a decent family hauler. That said how many of you drive with the top off with your children on board and for how long? I have a 2 and 3 year old, they both love Jeeps and point out Wranglers every time we see one ( I have a GC which they don't count as a Jeep ) so I'm just trying to get some ideas on how often people drive with the top down with kids similar in age to mine. Thanks!
I roll 3 wide for short trips around town...kids love doing the jeep wave.
kiBBd2W.jpg

Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Thanks all for the input! I'm definitely going to look into getting the sun shade when the time comes but happy to hear so many do it without issue. I haven't purchased the JLU yet, the lease on my GC will be up in a few months so I'm planning on making the jump then. I like do to my research and ask questions a head of time and be as thorough as possible because my decisions don't just affect me anymore. Looking forward to being part of the community.

Don't worry...this forum had thousands of pages and posts before ANYONE even received their JLs, haha! There were hundreds of posts just on ordering, status, options, etc.

It's your money, no harm in reading and researching for free. Lots of questions and discussion...hard not to think about it before you order/purchase!!!

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I roll 3 wide for short trips around town...kids love doing the jeep wave.
kiBBd2W.jpg
Oh, yeah...got my kids into the jeep wave and it's a mini-game they enjoy driving around town.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Oh, yeah...got my kids into the jeep wave and it's a mini-game they enjoy driving around town.
Be careful with that. My 4-yr-old is extremely well-trained on Jeep waves, and now he's better at it that I am. He scolds me when I'm distracted and forget to wave at another Jeep. And now he's teaching proper form to his 2-yr-old brother. "No Aid-wee-un, it's 2 fingers, not all 5!"

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
It's extremely easy with the MyTop powered convertible top. Nothing worse than impatient kids waiting for you remove all your rear windows, then walking back and forth to fold the top down. Then when one complains about the sun or cold, you can just button everything up in mere seconds.
The MyTop is genius, and how I hoped the Jeep Power top would function. I would have paid $4K for a factory installed MyTop option. The Current offering is great, but wasn't for me.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
The MyTop is genius, and how I hoped the Jeep Power top would function. I would have paid $4K for a factory installed MyTop option. The Current offering is great, but wasn't for me.
How much space does the mytop take up in the trunk area? The components, not the folded soft top. Thanks!!