Doors off with kids

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
So I’m trying to decide th safety of kids in the Jeep with doors off. Do tube doors provide any protection? How safe are we with doors off? Do I need to just suck it up and leave the doors on when my boys are with me? Thanks for the advice in advance
Sponsored

JTopsUSA

First Name
Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jtopsusa.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU 2014, Jeep JK 2015, Jeep JLU on order!
Occupation
Jeep® Wranger Soft Goods Manufacturer
Depends on kids, ages and how well they follow directions. Tube doors would offer some additional peace of mind for me, but really with the height they are at in car seats, do the tube doors come up past the car seats themselves? Also depends on if they will sit in the back with whatever paraphernalia kids always have to travel with without allowing it to fall/blow out, or not throw it out and make Daddy play fetch, because they just lost their favorite binkie.

The other option is you can always take your front doors off and leave the rear doors on... yes, it might not look as cool, but you still have the secure feeling and peace of mind for your kiddos in the back. That would be my choice, but considering my youngest is 6'5" now, I kinda don't think he's the one I have to worry about... ;)

biTToe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi: Ordered 1/30/18 - Delivered 06/12/18- '06 TJ Rubi ( gone ), '75 CJ5 304-V8 (long gone)
I think no matter how you look at it, a steel door (full or half) is going to provide the greatest amount of protection.

The other factor to consider is the speed at which you might get hit. Under 10mph I would think that the tube doors may still afford some protection over no doors. My only concern would be with their ability to resist splitting or tearing and having those jagged edges pushed into the passenger area.
If you are broadsided at 40mph or greater my guess would be no difference with or without tube doors.

Now, on the trail, full doors are Overkill and tube doors would provide adequate protection with maximum enjoyment IMHO

Damn... I'm a negative Nancy.

That said, I used to drive my kids around in my '75 CJ5 with no doors all the time.

OP
OP
Movingday

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Ages 10 (no child seat) and 6 (booster). I had a yj (pre-kids) and the doors were off 3/4 of the year. Loved it. And yes, iPads stay at home while in Jeep lol
Front doors off with rear doors on could be a good compromise I guess

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Is it safe?

No.

I'd still like to do it but it will be up to my wife to be honest.

I would only do it around town and not on the highway.

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
Had 3 kids all in car seats in the back once with all 4 doors off. Was a bit nerve racking, but they had fun. “Safe” is always a relative term.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Something to consider: I love to leave my foot out the open door, but I was hit hard on the interstate by a distracted driver who nearly rear-ended me, swerved, over-corrected, and nailed my passenger side right in front of the door.

If a passenger had been there with his/her foot out the door and hadn't pulled it back in time, that would have been catastrophic.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I would just do the front doors off. Most likely place for an accident is in town 5 min from your house. Worst case is getting t-boned at an intersection with doors off. I’d go all doors off while off roaring, but then you’d have to store tour doors somewhere. If you’re camping that could be an option to leave them secured at the campsite if that’s possible.

Other option is OEM half doors when they come out.

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
I'm too chicken to have the doors off with my kids with me. They stay on. I worry way too much but would rather be safe than sorry.

Sponsored

jeepfreak

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Doors are def coming off! Kids are pretty pumped about driving around with no doors or top.

vhfan5150

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright White JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been wondering this too. My son is 7 and has wanted me to take the doors off since 2/15 when we got the Jeep. My daughter is 3 and wants to do whatever her brother is doing. I fear for the safety part as well as the no-clue overprotective busybodies that would call child protective services on me.

Firebrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 jku
One of the reasons I ended up with a 2door jk from a 4 door jk. Kids in the back have some protection and I get all the doors off. I couldn’t do it with a 4 door. They are too exposed.

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase
If they are wearing seatbelts, the doors shouldn't have much to do with keeping them safe in an accident. My boy rode with me with the doors off, all of the time. The back seat on a two door is a little less nerve racking I would guess...

9D557CB3-F092-40E8-B07E-7C769A2E2860.jpeg

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
If they are wearing seatbelts, the doors shouldn't have much to do with keeping them safe in an accident. My boy rode with me with the doors off, all of the time. The back seat on a two door is a little less nerve wracking I would guess...

9D557CB3-F092-40E8-B07E-7C769A2E2860.jpeg
It's not safe .But your call. I won't do it with my kids .
Sponsored