Sponsored

Doors off with kids

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
So I’m trying to decide th safety of kids in the Jeep with doors off. Do tube doors provide any protection? How safe are we with doors off? Do I need to just suck it up and leave the doors on when my boys are with me? Thanks for the advice in advance
look at the side impact videos, no rear side airbags in the JK, still no rear side air bags in JL so should be about the same:

Capture.PNG

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/jeep/wrangler-4-door-suv

Wrangler not the best choice for families, little johnny above just had his brains crushed out.
Sponsored

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
One of the reasons I ended up with a 2door jk from a 4 door jk. Kids in the back have some protection and I get all the doors off. I couldn’t do it with a 4 door. They are too exposed.
I ordered a two door JL and was thinking the same thing. If I take the top off with them and they fall out of they seat or something it wouldn't be as bad as the 4 door model.

I'm not over protective either, my kids don't have to wear helmets on their bikes, I built them a giant rock climbing wall in the backyard and we do tons of aggressive physical stuff but putting them in a doorless Jeep seems crazy.

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
My girls have been riding doorless since they were about 5. Started with my ‘08 JK, but they also love the ‘85 CJ7. They are now 10 and 11 years old and love being dropped off at school without doors. I think it’s about your comfort level and trusting your kids’ behavior. I used to go around in my dad’s pickup bed all over town when I was 8 or 9 years old and ride on the back of his motorcycle when I was the same age. Some of the best memories of my childhood.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
Not to be a downer, but I just lost my 23 year old daughter in a horrible car accident. Nothing probably would of saved her, but keep thinking if we would of gave her our durango we traded in. That maybe she would of survived. My kids didn't wear helmets when riding bikes either, so I'm not the over protective one. If something would happen and your doors were off, the guilt will kill you.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
Not to be a downer, but I just lost my 23 year old daughter in a horrible car accident. Nothing probably would of saved her, but keep thinking if we would of gave her our durango we traded in. That maybe she would of survived. My kids didn't wear helmets when riding bikes either, so I'm not the over protective one. If something would happen and your doors were off, the guilt will kill you.
Sorry man.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
Sorry man.
I do appreciate that. But i just posted that so hopefully no one will have to go through losing a child. I'm in no way a bubble wrap your kids type of guy. Just different perspective on the no doors with kids. Thanks again.

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
I do appreciate that. But i just posted that so hopefully no one will have to go through losing a child. I'm in no way a bubble wrap your kids type of guy. Just different perspective on the no doors with kids. Thanks again.
That's like my nightmare.. I lost two sisters when I was young. That was bad enough. I cannot imagine my own child.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So sorry to hear that, buddy. That sobers up the discussion, for sure. As a father of 6 girls, I can't even begin to comprehend what you're going through.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
My son is a high functioning autistic and cannot always control his impulses. So, for me personally, that would be a no. I might reconsider if rear tube doors have kid locks on them. If I did use them, I’d keep my boy in the center seat and put all his stuff in the cargo area so he doesn’t throw them out.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Really? Insurance injury claim data says the JK is one of the safest vehicles on the road, over an entire decade.
Not to call you out on this, but can you provide a link to this when you get a chance? I’m curious if the Wranglers “perceived” risks have made owners drive safer or is it genuinely safer in a crash. For instance, I’ve happily driven my Jag over 120mph but I wouldn’t dare take a JL much over 90mph. The steering drift issues also demands more attention IMO.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not to call you out on this, but can you provide a link to this when you get a chance? I’m curious if the Wranglers “perceived” risks have made owners drive safer or is it genuinely safer in a crash. For instance, I’ve happily driven my Jag over 120mph but I wouldn’t dare take a JL much over 90mph. The steering drift issues also demands more attention IMO.
Nope. You look for it. It is Saturday and I just worked a 60 hour week. If I stumble across it, I'll post it. I've seen it multiple places.

However it happens is immaterial. It has happened over a decade, which is more data than most vehicles can produce. Also, crash test ratings are bogus. You can't simulate the real world in a lab. They tell me my old F150 gets like a 3 star safety rating, but a Honda Civic gets the highest score. Let's take turns T-boning each other, you in the Honda, me in the F150, and let's see who comes out of it in better shape.

Politics require adjusting the data to make small cars look good. Thank the global religion for that one. You think they would tell you to go buy bigger, more thirsty vehicles? Not on your life, which they don't give 2 cents for, btw.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase