First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Life is so wonderful. Can’t wait until that space ship picks me up. 😎.
Quick note. Put a white mark on nut and threads and watch.
That's a good idea putting those marks on there. But the torque wrench technique will verify if things need a little more from component wear that's not detected by a marked bolt. Also if a bolt is weakened/damaged, the torque wrench usually finds them.

I have no idea what your space ship comment is referring to.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BlueMoose

BlueMoose

First Name
Blue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2023
Occupation
Moose
You've all convinced me...5 tire crossing rotation it is!

I can't explain the service manager's bad advice, since he's younger and started as a mechanic.... but the '40 yr old misinformation' makes exact sense for hubby - it's been a couple decades since he's done serious work on cars. He started picking it up again 6 yrs ago but then he got sick. No more taking apart that Tacoma engine...

Curious - can we still get those wonderful Haynes/Chilton manuals in print for modern Jeeps? Loved the one I had for the Hyundai and don't enjoy computer/tablet versions...

WasMFD

First Name
Coño, Captain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUS, JLUR
5 to 4; 4 to 1; 1 to 3; 3 to 2. very 5. Ok got it. Just remember torquage.

thegeedawg

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
What's the best method to ensure the dealer followed your direction? I'm just saying once you decide on a pattern, you need to be consistent for the life of the tires. Do you mark the tires?

Sponsored

Steveaqha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler willys, 05 Superduty Ford, 13 Hyunda
Have been around the tire business and cars/trucks my whole life, ROTATE 5!!!

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
I have always crossed all 4 tires in an X pattern
I have been doing this for over 40 years
By doing this you will keep your tires from wearing uneven on the outer edge and getting noisy
I will rotate between 15K to 25K depending on the tire pattern and how they are wearing
Rub your hand over the outer edge of the tire and if it feels uneven it is time to rotate
If you have severe unevenness they will always be noisy so don't let them get to that point
On my 2 wranglers I rotate about 15K or less
I have always got between 60K to 70K on a set of tires. Once I got 80K
The simplest way is two floor jacks . One at opposite corners . 20 minute job

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
yes.

if you're going to let anyone else do it, have a mark on the tires. trust, but verify.
(even just a number on each inner sidwall will do the trick.)

and be sure to check the lug nut torque and tire pressures yourself if you let anyone else take the wheels off. (i do it as soon as i get around the corner so as to not spread hard feelings, but i do it every time.)
i guarantee you you'll find it wrong enough times that you'll never *not* check it again.

What's the best method to ensure the dealer followed your direction? I'm just saying once you decide on a pattern, you need to be consistent for the life of the tires. Do you mark the tires?

climbkili

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Keeping an unused spare is a bad Idea. The tires age out at 6 years and start to petrify (become brittle) when they are exposed to the elements, so you will have to replace them anyways. I use a 5 tire rotation.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Don’t forget one of the benefits of a 5 tire rotation is you don’t have to use jack stands if you don’t want to. Take off the spare, jack up one corner, swap wheel and tire. Jack up next corner, rinse and repeat until all you have left is putting the next spare on the rear carrier!

Sponsored

au176

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Islander, 2014 HD Road King
I plan to, we already have the basic tools.
Not sure if I’ll even use the free Wave rotations at this point because if we are using different patterns it’s no good…

That and I’ve had to change a way overtourqued tire in the middle of the night once, alone, in not the greatest area. I have no wish to repeat the experience. If I’m torquing them, I know they haven’t been impacted wrenched beyond all reason.
The only problem is that Jeep lugs ARE torqued beyond all reason! 130 lbs/ft! I had to buy a bigger torque wrench just for the jeep, because my old one "only" went up to 80 lbs/ft! I told a friend- who is a former mechanic- about the 130 which got a SERIOUS eyebrow raise and "no way" from him! He looked into it, and said it's right. 😳

au176

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Islander, 2014 HD Road King
Completely agree with your point, but afraid you've got the main character in your story wrong. I know this story well and it shared many times about a man that "misunderstood" God.

Not sure how it morphed into a "pastor" character which is completely incorrect. Unless you mean a man that called himself a pastor but never actually studied the Bible.

God gave us a brain and abilities. It's our choice how we use them in our own situations.

By the way, I'm a 5 tire DIY rotation guy myself. Pick a pattern of your choice and stick with it :like:
I'd like to think that God replied, "Three strikes and you're out!" 🚣‍♂️🚣‍♂️🚣‍♂️ ⚾ ;)

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t forget one of the benefits of a 5 tire rotation is you don’t have to use jack stands if you don’t want to. Take off the spare, jack up one corner, swap wheel and tire. Jack up next corner, rinse and repeat until all you have left is putting the next spare on the rear carrier!
Technically speaking, you should always use a jack stand. Its weird for me to say that considering the fact I sometimes put my Jeep on the edge of tipping over just for fun but you can never be too safe.

ABRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR
Technically speaking, you should always use a jack stand. Its weird for me to say that considering the fact I sometimes put my Jeep on the edge of tipping over just for fun but you can never be too safe.

Don't agree. If all you are doing is a tire change you aren't under the vehicle.
Sponsored