TPMS & tire rotation

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Im having a 5 tire rotation on stock wheels & tires. What has to be done regarding the sensors? Physically move each to align with the dash display? Im not familiar with the technology here.
Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Just swapped my MT's @ 4500 miles. Rear re-balanced and put on front. Front moved to back but not balanced. TPMS sensors are fine no issues. Tires not scrubbed yet but with MT's you don't want to wait until you start feeling a rough ride or its too late. Didn't even consider any sensor issues and they work just like they always have.

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
The modules on the JL will relearn the position of each tire minus the spare that’s not read until it’s one of the ones rolling.

OP
OP
RichD

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Ah ok. Thanks all! I didnt realize there were fixed modules in the wheel wells or chassis. Also found a post on another site. Makes sense now.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@RichD

In regard to your JL's TPMS:

How does the JL/JLU know which tire/rim/wheel is where .....

Well, there are 3 sensors on the chassis that monitor the 4 TPMS Sensors found on the 4 tire (rim) positions.

Info from the 3 chassis sensors is transmitted to the Wireless Control Module. There is no need for a 4th chassis sensor as the computer uses the process of elimination to determine the fourth tire location.

Yes, your JLU/JL knows exactly which rim is where, usually within seconds of a tire rotation for example. Yes, It's all done automatically.

There is a TPMS sensor in the factory mounted spare but it is not read by a chassis sensor/ considered by the computer until it is placed in one of the 4 tire positions.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
Don't get nervous if the sensors don't read correctly as you're rotating the tires. The key here is that it may take several miles before they read correctly. Rotated my tires on Wednesday and didn't drive the Jeep until Friday when we left to run a trail. The left front tire read 29psi (it had been on the left rear before rotation) and the rest of the tires read 39psi. Did a quick pressure check and the tire was at 39psi. Drove the Jeep a little over two miles before the dash read the correct pressure on that tire.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Had my first oil change and tire rotation this past Tuesday. I never gave the TPMS a second thought. Should not be an issue and behave like my other vehicles with the sensors.

shooting4625

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coming soon 2023 2door wrangler Rubicon
Rotated 5 tires for the first time sensors worked fine
Sponsored