First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
You've got to pay attention to how it folds up and not let nature do it for you, so you can avoid pinching the top in the bows. After owning a 4 dr and 2 dr OEM soft top, I can say that the 2 dr takes more effort to fold back, but it also has pinch spots. I pull these out manually as I fold it back, then use two 2" wide velcro straps to wrap around it when it's down. Helps with visibility in rear view mirror. :) Link:https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand...d_rd_i=B00575600W&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_33_i
Sponsored

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
I have a 2 door. For the sunrider position, as I approach a stop light, I undo the header latches. Once stopped, I unbuckle and am able to fold it back by lifting my hips out the seat. If it doesn't go all the way back from this shove, and it stuck half open, I sit back down anyway, and when I leave the light the initial acceleration opens it the rest of the way. Windspeed is never really involved in this method.

This thread is the first time I am hearing anything about dressing fabric on the sunrider, never seen any published information to that effect. I will check it out next time I am putting the top all way the down (stationary, hah).

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Pod system coffee maker
You disgust me. I am all for saving time, but this is gross. I have a keurig built into my fridge, and I can even activate it by voice from anywhere...but no. Almost never.

You should have your coffee grinder dialed in so when you wake up, the exact amount of grounds are ready before you hit the kitchen. I have fast boil on my range, so the water is ready for pour over by the time I feed the animals. Sans that, electric kettle and you can have good coffee.

jaardappel

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Nomad, dog-father, Jeep enthusiast
I just donā€™t see a safety issue. I think when you saw the thread title you just imagine driving down the road with other cars while concentrating on the top. We are talking about 5 mph here. Like taking off from a traffic light. Or when you leave your driveway.

You donā€™t have to get out of your seat or anything, you just unlatch and push up.

Here is an instructional video for opening the top from the driver seat
E4B8CCFD-07F8-4AF7-956F-5A821B6E8D63.gif
I seems you have your mind already made up as you posted this thread. I challenge you to find that sweet spot between the point where your unlatched soft-top goes back nicely while driving at low speeds and where it literally rips right off your new jeep as you redline it down a residential neighborhood. Try to get that puppy up to about 120 by the time you hit the cul-de-sac and see if Mopar can come through with your newfound scientific experiment(s). Please take photos and/or turn around while driving and video-tape it on Facebook Live. With narration of course.

Next on the agenda....see if you can survive a head-on collision with a guardrail while not using seatbelts because you have airbags....YOLO!

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
If you stop first, you can ensure the top is not pinched in the areas outward of the bows. If you let the wind handle it, itā€™s uncontrolled and you will eventually wear a hole or rip where the bows pinch it. Might not happen for awhile, but it will happen. I personally donā€™t care how you do it, but I would not let the wind do it to mine, and Iā€™m giving you a good reason not to do it this way.
This and a slight paranoia of breaking the plastic tracks are the reasons I never let the wind just blow the sunder back.

Sponsored

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Please donā€™t do it driving. Concentrate on the road and your surroundings.

OP
OP

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
You disgust me. I am all for saving time, but this is gross. I have a keurig built into my fridge, and I can even activate it by voice from anywhere...but no. Almost never.

You should have your coffee grinder dialed in so when you wake up, the exact amount of grounds are ready before you hit the kitchen. I have fast boil on my range, so the water is ready for pour over by the time I feed the animals. Sans that, electric kettle and you can have good coffee.
Who said anything about Keurig

This uses pods, and is way better than a grind and brew using the best beans I could possibly find, which I brought home after visiting haiti. I even roasted them myself.

A pod of nespresso virtuo > your $300 grind and brew. Keurig taste like toilet water compared to this.
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Please donā€™t do it driving. Concentrate on the road and your surroundings.
Just did it today from my driveway. Popped it open from the driver seat, folded back on itā€™s own incredibly soft at around 15mph.

Doing this from now on. Those that donā€™t do it need to try it.

OP
OP

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
I seems you have your mind already made up as you posted this thread. I challenge you to find that sweet spot between the point where your unlatched soft-top goes back nicely while driving at low speeds and where it literally rips right off your new jeep as you redline it down a residential neighborhood. Try to get that puppy up to about 120 by the time you hit the cul-de-sac and see if Mopar can come through with your newfound scientific experiment(s). Please take photos and/or turn around while driving and video-tape it on Facebook Live. With narration of course.

Next on the agenda....see if you can survive a head-on collision with a guardrail while not using seatbelts because you have airbags....YOLO!
Did you just wish me to die?

You need anger management, badly. You have like serial killer level anger issues.

Youā€™re right I did make up my mind, which is why I did not ask anybody if it was a bad or good thing to do.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
You are welcome to argue your point all you want, but you asked if it was a thing and the majority said "no".
I did not ask for opinions on doing this or not doing this. I asked for peoples tips on how they do it.

You projected your negative opinions of this onto me and now people are angry that Iā€™m not listening to them.

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Accelerating between 10 and 15mph works good for the throw-back. Just watch out for wind in addition to that. Done it probably 100 times. No damage, no worries. Its a Jeep, not a Mercedes.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Who said anything about Keurig

This uses pods, and is way better than a grind and brew using the best beans I could possibly find, which I brought home after visiting haiti. I even roasted them myself.

A pod of nespresso virtuo > your $300 grind and brew. Keurig taste like toilet water compared to this.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tips to open soft top while driving? image
Less crap...still not as good as pour over.

Savor that moment. Save time on things that aren't as wonderful as brewing coffee.

OP
OP

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Less crap...still not as good as pour over.

Savor that moment. Save time on things that aren't as wonderful as brewing coffee.
Insert pod, press a button, so much better
2F81D506-271F-44DB-87CE-F20A538142C0.jpeg

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
You've got to pay attention to how it folds up and not let nature do it for you, so you can avoid pinching the top in the bows.
This.

No judgment here. You can do whatever you want, but my tip would be to fold the top back manually while stopped and ensure that it doesn't bunch up. Each fold should be nice and neat all the way across and lay flat. If you just throw the top back (or let inertia do it for you while driving), this does not happen and can damage the fabric and/or bows. Your Jeep...your call.
Sponsored