First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
If you stop first, you can ensure the top is not pinched in the areas outward of the bows. If you let the wind handle it, it’s uncontrolled and you will eventually wear a hole or rip where the bows pinch it. Might not happen for awhile, but it will happen. I personally don’t care how you do it, but I would not let the wind do it to mine, and I’m giving you a good reason not to do it this way.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
If you stop first, you can ensure the top is not pinched in the areas outward of the bows. If you let the wind handle it, it’s uncontrolled and you will eventually wear a hole or rip where the bows pinch it. Might not happen for awhile, but it will happen. I personally don’t care how you do it, but I would not let the wind do it to mine, and I’m giving you a good reason not to do it this way.
Oh I didn’t know that was something to pay attention to

OP
OP

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Full stop to open or close, ...mines pretty stiff when its up in the vertical position. I would be too concerned about it slamming down if I let the wind push it back. I get the convenience of open/close on the move having convertibles in the past. IMO, get the one touch sky top if you want that convenience.
I wish I did get the sky one touch! But I didn’t!

I think a lot of the stiffness comes from forcing it down only from one side of it. And of course the fact that you’re just trying to open it on the one side.

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
I think a lot of the stiffness comes from forcing it down only from one side of it. And of course the fact that you’re just trying to open it on the one side.
That may be true...

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
This ^^
I'm stupid OCD sometimes and always take the time to make sure that the top is not pinched and folded clean when I put it back. My other thought is that just throwing it up could possibly be a distraction to other drivers trying to figure out WTF you are doing.
You do you, but it's not a consideration for me.

Sponsored

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
My pragmatic sides senses a troll...

If this guy is actually serious about saving 15 seconds in the name of efficiency, he's going to find the real world extremely frustrating.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Damn, we can argue about anything here.

I'm assuming we're talking about going to sun rider position. I guess if the base top doesn't do that it would be more violent. Also not talking about doing this at speed where the top would get yanked at 60 mph all the way from closed to open.

It takes all of 10 mph for the air to push back the top after we've popped it up to the near vertical detent. It evenly applies force across the top instead of yanking one of the struts. Personally it feels like closing it back using a strut is more of a stress on the frame then allowing it to blow open.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I had mine down one afternoon and closed it when I got to my destination but didn't latch it with the intention of putting it back down for the drive home. Well, forgot about putting it back when I left; got up to about 50mph on the highway and, FWOP!, it went back. Scared the crap out me and my three boys. Haven't noticed any damage, thankfully.
But, if I decide I want it back during a drive I wait until a red light or just pull over. It can be done at even the quickest lights. Just my thought.
I WILL say I've had many a person/kid exclaim in fun and shock when we just throw it back. Of course they see cameros and others put their top back, but there's just something special/magical that excites people about a pink jeep going topless :like:

Reactions: AMT
OP
OP

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
My pragmatic sides senses a troll...

If this guy is actually serious about saving 15 seconds in the name of efficiency, he's going to find the real world extremely frustrating.
Keyless entry in the vehicle
Keyless entry in house
Voice control for TV, lights, thermostat, fans, blinds
Autopay for household bills
Power convertible top
Pod system coffee maker
Electronic axle engagement
Dishwasher
Washer and dryer

All things that we, and probably you, paid for just to save a few seconds of time over and over.

Soon I intend to get a robotic vacuum and lawnmower! I also just bought an electric tooth brush with built in water pik, so now I don’t have to floss!

Large companies do these things on extreme scales!

I’ve been living in the real world for awhile now and it’s been great. Taking shortcuts to all of life’s trivial tasks has made it way better. When you have a family with kids, your time becomes 10x as valuable

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
Keyless entry in house
Power convertible top
Pod system coffee maker
Dishwasher
Washer and dryer

All things that we, and probably you, paid for just to save a few seconds of time over and over.

Soon I intend to get a robotic vacuum and lawnmower! I also just bought an electric tooth brush with built in water pik, so now I don’t have to floss!

I’ve been living in the real world for awhile now and it’s been great. Taking shortcuts to all of life’s trivial tasks has made it way better. When you have a family with kids, your time becomes 10x as valuable
I have two uncles who are engineers... and watching them spend so much time arguing how to save seconds is priceless... They would have been done sooner had they just done it, rather than argue who's way is better. It's crazy... this screams satire to me... even though I I know it very well can be real.

Either way... enjoy as much time with the kids as you can!

Sponsored

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Keyless entry in house
Power convertible top
Pod system coffee maker
Dishwasher
Washer and dryer

I agree with all of that and use a large number of those things, BUT they were designed to function in that way. I don't think you will find anywhere in the manual that instructs you to pop the top and let the wind do the rest.
It may work fine and you may never have any issues, but I think what the majority of folks who are replying would agree with is that the risk is not worth the saved effort, especially considering the possible consequences if something does go awry.
You are welcome to argue your point all you want, but you asked if it was a thing and the majority said "no".

Chuckster

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 2007 Jeep Patriol
Sounds like no one uses the Velcro straps to keep the top down, as per the instructions? That could save me 30 seconds!

OP
OP

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
I agree with all of that and use a large number of those things, BUT they were designed to function in that way. I don't think you will find anywhere in the manual that instructs you to pop the top and let the wind do the rest.
It may work fine and you may never have any issues, but I think what the majority of folks who are replying would agree with is that the risk is not worth the saved effort, especially considering the possible consequences if something does go awry.
You are welcome to argue your point all you want, but you asked if it was a thing and the majority said "no".
Of course the manual isn’t going to say that! They’d be replacing tops all the time from all the people that don’t have common sense.

Yeah everybody who’s never tried it said “no”
Everybody that has tried it said “yes it works great”

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
Sounds like no one uses the Velcro straps to keep the top down, as per the instructions? That could save me 30 seconds!
I do too!!!

As for the thread, I HAVE to do mine manually, the two-door top will get pinched in the wrong place if you don't go from side to side and make sure the top goes in the correct direction. The 4-door top folds a bit differently; I've never noticed it getting pinched on my wife's JLU.

AMT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
^^ This as well. Noticed some worn spots (not holes, thankfully) and thought, "What the hell...?" Then figured it out. Now pay attention to how it's folded.
Sponsored