Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
Windows?? 🤣😂
Jeep Wrangler JL Tinted windows- yay or nay? 01C8B741-2B8F-4E9E-87C8-3FF91EBBA7F4
Sponsored

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
My understanding is that all windshields have an incidental UV barrier with the laminate membrane. But, IR (radiant heat) still comes through.
The glass itself is a pretty effective UV blocker. If the laminate adds some more, that's a plus. Summertime heat is from the IR range and tints help tremendously. I keep my '21 2dr garaged, so I'm happy with the factory tint. If I parked it outdoors, I'd definitely get the darkest tint allowed by TX law. The summer sun is a killer out here.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Ceramic all around. Llumar 15s on the sides and 3m 50 in the front. Combined, it’s definitely lowered the cabin temp considerably.

Attachments

cfroitz

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S (JL)
Coming from Florida a tint was necessary. I went darkest legal for my 2 door jl. I didnt do the windshield because im a little taller so the tint curve at the top of the windshield would be in my pov when driving which i dont enjoy. Just something to think about.

73190EFF-27EF-4AE8-ABC6-75B340CBC687.jpeg

Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Stock tinted glass from factory. It is not a film.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tinted windows- yay or nay? 87F89401-5425-4804-91CB-647C95E815BA

Limo (can’t remember if 5 or 10% film) on back and rear doors. The front door is equal to 35% light transmission (legal limit here)

Jeep Wrangler JL Tinted windows- yay or nay? B39FBF09-980E-4A00-A2CE-C57D34B3B781

With backup camera and rear bumper led lights added, the dark tint on tailgate window is not a problem at night.

The front door windows are now as dark as stock rear doors were.

In my pics you are looking thru two windows of tint, the passenger and driver windows so it’s not as dark as in the photo if your focus on the transformer behind the Jeep.

Peaks

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Jeep Wrangler
Do it!!! Front windshield as well. I have 20% all around and I can’t remember what’s on the windshield. Only downside is fellow Jeep owners can’t see when I return the wave ✌🏾.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tinted windows- yay or nay? A8CEF934-E909-4F4E-931D-7D6DE1FC9D3A
Jeep Wrangler JL Tinted windows- yay or nay? 1C8B4811-3E7C-4DCF-8506-B1E9CCAD8B6F

echelon37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon, 2022 Gobi on order!
Wait, a Jeep group full of folks who put offroad lights, different color LEDs all sorts of places, non-DOT rated bumpers, wheels that exceed fender width.... shall I go on... cares about legal window tint?!?

If a cop is going to pull me over for window tint, that ticket might as well be a mile long if he's gonna get nit picky with what is "street legal".

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
I tried window tint on an off road vehicle a decade or so ago, and took the tint off after a few night four wheeling trips. I come from a desert racing background, and actually like to drive off road at night. Everything is more fun and more challenging, including navigation. But the scenic vistas are somewhat lacking, LOL. I like night rides though, no matter what vehicle I'm in, whether its a UTV, ATV, Jeep, or race truck. I once rode the entire 275 mile main loop of the Paiute ATV trail in Utah, in one night, on an ATV. I started at sunset, and finished just after dawn. I just dropped $3500 for Baja Designs lights for my TRX. I don't plan on spending any money on window tint though.

Got to admit that tinted windows do look nice and keep the Jeep cooler in the daytime though. If that is your thing, then go for it.

OP
OP
Cowboy from hell

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
Man some of the prices y'all talk about are insane! I made appointment to get my 2 Dr windows done, only set me back $60!

Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Make sure you do the windscreen too. In PA you can do 15% on that piece of glass. Then make sure you get the inspection stickers put back on where they stick to the tint. Then you can get mad at the inspection station that will refuse to inspect it as they will have so pretty much destroy the tint to get the old stickers off.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Apply your registration sticker onto static cling tape. That way you can readjust it/ remove it whenever you want.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Man some of the prices y'all talk about are insane! I made appointment to get my 2 Dr windows done, only set me back $60!
Depends on the material tint/coating ceramic? How much IR protection and lastly the quality of the installer. You can go cheap or expensive on the material.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Tint is useless for me...I ride most of the year in Safari mode and leave the windows in their storage bag. Even if I kept the windows on, I'd still avoid tint, as I bought the Jeep to go off road occasionally and take in the beauty of our vast deserts and mountains. Tint would just detract from all that, and sunglasses are more than sufficient! 😎

AlanRhodesAZ

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangle JL
I always liked the look of tinted windows when I lived in Michigan, but now that I live in Arizona its not a matter of like it's a must. Its hard to even see a car/truck on the road here in Arizona that does not have tinted glass and in fact all car dealerships automatically install tinted windows on all new cars/trucks for sale
Sponsored