Sponsored

Thor's First Oil Change

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Was thinking way too much about where to take my 392 for it's first oil change (@ 6 months). Do I take it to the dealer and get a free oil change but worry about quality of service, or do it myself and do it right but spend too much time and have a mess to clean up, or take it to a reputable local automotive shop I trust and let them do it. After much back and forth I chose the last option, and took it to a local auto shop with a good reputation. I supplied my own oil and filter for them to use. Good service and good price. Here's some post oil change pics-

Thor is very happy (he winked, see the front reflector?)

Jeep Wrangler JL Thor's First Oil Change First 3

Some underneath pics:

Jeep Wrangler JL Thor's First Oil Change First 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Thor's First Oil Change First 4

Jeep Wrangler JL Thor's First Oil Change First one

The friendly auto shop cat

Jeep Wrangler JL Thor's First Oil Change First cat
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Was thinking way too much about where to take my 392 for it's first oil change (@ 6 months). Do I take it to the dealer and get a free oil change but worry about quality of service, or do it myself and do it right but spend too much time and have a mess to clean up, or take it to a reputable local automotive shop I trust and let them do it. After much back and forth I chose the last option, and took it to a local auto shop with a good reputation. I supplied my own oil and filter for them to use. Good service and good price. Here's some post oil change pics-

Thor is very happy (he winked, see the front reflector?)

Some underneath pics:

The friendly auto shop cat

Fumoto

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Changing engine oil is so important for engine longevity...good call.. 👍

OP
OP
Hearhear

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Best part is (besides the trustworthy service) I can walk to work from this auto shop. So while Thor was getting his spa day I walked to work.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I bet you'd be surprised how quickly you could have the oil changed yourself. I also did not have too much of a mess.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The key to a DIY oil change is in the plan and equipment. While guys here will tout being able to change their oil in 10-15 minutes, give yourself as much time as you need. 1/2 hr to an hour is not unreasonable for the first time. It isn't a race against time. Enjoy doing something for your Jeep.

I get large sheets of cardboard from local stores. Big screen TVs are the best boxes, but any large box will do. You'll need some latex or nitrile gloves, some papertowels, a drain pan, box end wrench to fit the drain plug, a socket wrench to fit the oil filter housing, and if you're not really familiar with torque feel, use a torque wrench, especially on the filter housing cap. You should also have some grease handy to lubricate the threads and face of the oil filter housing cap. You need a plan on what to do with the old oil. One of those drain pans at the local chain auto parts store the captures the oil in its own container is good. Auto parts stores in most states will take your old oil. Ask when you buy the new oil and filter.

Others can chime in on more details.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
For the 1st 60K miles I let the dealership change it every 5K miles to keep it on the service record for any future warranty issues and then change it at home every 2.5K miles between dealership visits. Did this with our JK and we currenly have 230K miles on it.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The key to a DIY oil change is in the plan and equipment. While guys here will tout being able to change their oil in 10-15 minutes, give yourself as much time as you need. 1/2 hr to an hour is not unreasonable for the first time. It isn't a race against time. Enjoy doing something for your Jeep.

I get large sheets of cardboard from local stores. Big screen TVs are the best boxes, but any large box will do. You'll need some latex or nitrile gloves, some papertowels, a drain pan, box end wrench to fit the drain plug, a socket wrench to fit the oil filter housing, and if you're not really familiar with torque feel, use a torque wrench, especially on the filter housing cap. You should also have some grease handy to lubricate the threads and face of the oil filter housing cap. You need a plan on what to do with the old oil. One of those drain pans at the local chain auto parts store the captures the oil in its own container is good. Auto parts stores in most states will take your old oil. Ask when you buy the new oil and filter.

Others can chime in on more details.
Great write-up. The only thing that I would add is that with a Fumoto you won't need the cardboard/drain pan - just a jug large enough to capture the volume. I could drain the oil over my living room carpet.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Great write-up. The only thing that I would add is that with a Fumoto you won't need the cardboard/drain pan - just a jug large enough to capture the volume. I could drain the oil over my living room carpet.
I use the cardboard, not only to protect the driveway, but also to shimmy under the jeep and slide around on and not get dirty. Uh-oh...I said shimmy and jeep in the same sentence.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Totally made the right choice. I have free lifetime oil change and they can shove it up where I think after trusting the dealer and find they had filled the engine with 7.5 quarts of oil when it takes 5 !!!!. No wonder oil was very high on the dipstick.... So I flushed it. Glad I did. I'll do my own from now-on thank you.

The list of screw-ups from that dealership is so darn long that I've become suspicious that they sabotage vehicles to ensure futur jobs.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just one comment about taking your vehicles in for service at a shop. If you plan to use a particular shop repeatedly, most shops prefer strongly to supply the parts and lubricants. They can often purchase them for less than you and make some money. Sometimes this means paying a little more than you could find the products, sometimes a lot more. But some shops will refuse to use customer supplied products because they lose earnings, or they may charge a premium to use products you supply. It's all part of the standard way the industry makes money. Just in case you didn't know.
Sponsored