First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
Jeep Wrangler JL This is weird Easter egg on a Rubicon A2966A0A-9689-4123-906C-008ACFA2F057
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
"Flip flops are hidden within the cowl of Jeep Wranglers. These flip flops pay homage to Rick Pewe, an automotive journalist."

Supposedly that's where he stores his flip flops at the beach. And he pretty much wears flip flops everywhere.

Sparky1352

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Recon
"Flip flops are hidden within the cowl of Jeep Wranglers. These flip flops pay homage to Rick Pewe, an automotive journalist."

Supposedly that's where he stores his flip flops at the beach. And he pretty much wears flip flops everywhere.
Also, this Easter Egg isn’t unique to the Rubicon.

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
While these Easter eggs are cute, I wonder how much more we're paying for JL's because of them. I'd gladly save the extra $1000(?) to not have them in the first place!

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
While these Easter eggs are cute, I wonder how much more we're paying for JL's because of them. I'd gladly save the extra $1000(?) to not have them in the first place!
Imagine how much you could save if you sucked the fun out of everything else too?

PS, They cost next to nothing. The whole Jeep costs next to nothing to make.

niJL

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
There's not much material cost here, a small amount of mold cost(if any). Most of this probably ate budget with the design and marketing guys time. So they did this instead of another commercial or an additional vinyl sticker option. I don't think FCA were going to reduce their budget if they decided against putting these easter eggs in.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Imagine how much you could save if you sucked the fun out of everything else too?

PS, They cost next to nothing. The whole Jeep costs next to nothing to make.
I don't appreciate the personal attack from a fellow Jeeper, but to each his/her own. No malice or judgment here. While Easter eggs may be somewhat interesting, I just don't find them "fun." What IS fun (to me anyway), is using that $$$ to otherwise fund upgrades...even a tank of gas is better than a pair of flip-flops embossed on the cowl, IMHO.

Pretty sure it costs more than "next to nothing" to build a Jeep too. Certainly, FCA sees a very handsome profit margin from Wranglers, but the materials, technology, and labor to mass-produce these specialized vehicles aren't cheap either. Not sure what math you're referring to, but I can guarantee it isn't even close to "nothing."

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure it costs more than "next to nothing" to build a Jeep too. Certainly, FCA sees a very handsome profit margin from Wranglers, but the materials, technology, and labor to mass-produce these specialized vehicles aren't cheap either. Not sure what math you're referring to, but I can guarantee it isn't even close to "nothing."

Oh, you’re the “actually” guy in the group aren’t you? “Actually, jeeps do cost money...”. Jesus christ man.

To address the topic at hand, the JL has easter eggs like this because the people designing it actually gave a shit and had the freedom to build something special. This is something that was missing on the bean-counter-special JK. It makes a difference.

EMpunker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6
I do appreciate the attention to detail Jeep put into the JL... makes it feel a tiny bit more premium than the average vehicle. I suppose Easter egg hunts aren't for everyone.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Minimal NRE on the CAD drawings and cost of initial tooling (if even that). Marginal cost per unit is likely pennies.
Sponsored