The worst engine choice. The 392.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
I love Jeeps. Always wanted one. The JL has been on my radar since 2018. However the engine choices have always left me feeling ā€œmeh.ā€ Iā€™ve driven a tuned F250 diesel for 6 years and excessive power is addicting, especially in a daily driver. Need to pass? Push the gas. Need to tow heavy? Push the gas. Want to embarrass some Mustangs at a stoplight? 4Hi and do a boosted launch. The 392 checks all the power requirements for me. Oh, Iā€™m also going to wheel the crap out of mine. No street queens in my driveway!

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
To each his own but I agree that itā€™s not very practical but some folks would say that about Jeeps in general I would imagine. For me, Wranglers have been the only vehicle that I always go back to. Started with. YJ then went to a very built JKR and now a JLUR with XJ and ZJ in between those. Iā€™m real curious how the 392 will do in the Phoenix summers, there are a few shops here that have done Hemi conversations for years and it always results in overheating and how many electric fans and size of radiator can we fit in a relatively small front end.
other than that, I think ā€œtoo much is just rightā€ especially when it comes to HP.
Recipe for too much is too muchā€” take one CJ5 with wore out L79 Chevy, add buddy with 4 bolt steel crank block, mix with beer, bright ideas and visions of grandeur. Allow to massively snowball until until done. Install 700 HP 6-71 blown Chevy in CJ5. Do not try, recipe comes out half baked. There is such a thing as too much HP!!!

Sponsored

SecretChimp

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Iā€™m guessing you (OP) donā€™t have one. I love mine. Like Uncommon Sense, I just said to my wife a couple days ago, that it checks more boxes than any other vehicle Iā€™ve owned. It just brings me such joy as I tool around town in it. I agree it might not make sense in a lot of ways, but it works for me.

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase
392 wheels as good as a normal rubicon and maybe even better in certain scenarios? Yep.

392 pulls HARD when already traveling 60-80mph on the highway and sounds like a trophy truck at 5k RPM? Yep.

392 brings absolute joy because you can trail it for a while and then blow by practically anybody at highway speeds on the way home in the same afternoon? Yep

I'm sorry if we irrational 392 purchasers make anyone upset by our choice to support Jeep with a model you don't like.

8 days old, 1100 miles, 2 badges, and muddy inside and out. Seems to be a great Jeep to me!

Jeep Wrangler JL The worst engine choice. The 392. EFA73CAE-4E8F-4C8A-AE33-04C6FFBC5650
Jeep Wrangler JL The worst engine choice. The 392. 1AB9C91F-F4E3-41CF-A7E2-2F3CAB4E9EC4

jeepnjam

First Name
Jameson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
392 wheels as good as a normal rubicon and maybe even better in certain scenarios? Yep.

392 pulls HARD when already traveling 60-80mph on the highway and sounds like a trophy truck at 5k RPM? Yep.

392 brings absolute joy because you can trail it for a while and then blow by practically anybody at highway speeds on the way home in the same afternoon? Yep

I'm sorry if we irrational 392 purchasers make anyone upset by our choice to support Jeep with a model you don't like.

8 days old, 1100 miles, 2 badges, and muddy inside and out. Seems to be a great Jeep to me!

Jeep Wrangler JL The worst engine choice. The 392. 1AB9C91F-F4E3-41CF-A7E2-2F3CAB4E9EC4
Love it!

Sponsored

SSVi

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Occupation
Extreme metal drummer/ large cat wrangler / gun modder
Well done with the ā€˜gotchaā€™ headline.

Mrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tj, jl
The 392 is by far the worst engine to choose to be in your Wrangler.

Think about it. Whatā€™s a rubicon built for? Off-road.

You donā€™t go fast off-road except maybe in dunes, but, even then you donā€™t ever go over 99 mphā€¦

You canā€™t stay at an off-road park for the whole weekend without worrying about refueling halfway through your second day.

If youā€™re actually overlanding youā€™re going to have to worry about fuel much more than the weekend warrior offroader.

You have to use 91 or above fuel to power this monster.

Besides Jeep limiting your options for interior color, small exterior color palette choices, and required options on the 392. The con that makes this the worst choice to wheel on the weekend, overland for the week, and even daily drive (especially in todayā€™s fuel price state) is the fuel mileage. The 392 has a drinking problem.

Also I know some like to go fast. However, when you lift a Jeep and throw 37-40in tires on it, 1, youā€™re going to be slower and 2 it feels a lot more sketchy to be going 80mph in any wrangler with that build regardless of engine!

Iā€™m sure there is some extravagant reason that the 392 is the best wrangler to buy for some crazy build with endless fuel cans and being pulled on a trailer or something, but, most people wonā€™t do that.

So basically what Iā€™m saying is the 392 really limits your your range too much.

With all that said. I still love the 392 just for the soul reason that itā€™s so cool.
Just trying to imagine the person who visits an enthusiast forum just to s#!t on the vehicle. Dude, go for a walk or scroll instagram. Your opinion is not worth the server space.

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
I Have a 3.0 Rubi that is great both on and off road. Also have a TJ that is a blast and a Bronco on order. Just yesterday the wife mentioned she would really like a 392 since we've never owned a sportscar....thinking the Bronco may be replaced before it ever makes it in driveway...or get it and sell it for a slight profit ro go toward the 392!
Full disclosure...she also likes the new Grand Wagoneer but I'm thinking the grandkids will always remember grandma's 392 over a wagoneer šŸ˜†

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Mostly accurate, but absolutely untrue that more power is not helpful ("off road") when rock crawling. I have on occasion struggled with my little 3.6, while others in my group have been able to more easily crawl an obstacle with the added torque from a 392 or LS. I'm talking extreme stuff here like 8-10 level trails, so not applicable to most I'm sure.
When you add armor, winch, big tires, skid plates, etc... To a 4 door Jeep. That V8 would for sure help!.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

Jeep Wrangler JL The worst engine choice. The 392. trim.AE1FFB95-1ADD-443B-AD6A-51A883B98D1A.MOV
Jeep Wrangler JL The worst engine choice. The 392. trim.AE1FFB95-1ADD-443B-AD6A-51A883B98D1A.MOV
So what are you showing in your video? That your 392 rubi can go offroad? Of course it can. It is a great Jeep.

OP said it is the worst choice of engine. And he is generalizing. I agree with him, it is the worst choice for most people. That doesnt mean it isnt the best choice for the 1% of jeep owners like you who bought it ;). Enjoy that beast, most people are just jealous.
Sponsored