NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
This is one of the reasons why I went with the Rubi. Sure, I could have bought a sport and re-geared, but I knew I was going to throw 33s on it, so when it was all told, it made sense to go with the JLR.
I put the old LT275/65R20 tires from my Ram on my JL. That works out to be about 34" and they feel good with the stock gearing.
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I put the old LT275/65R20 tires from my Ram on my JL. That works out to be about 34" and they feel good with the stock gearing.
On 3.45 or 4.10 gearing? If on 3.45 gears, I guess it all comes down to tolerance.

I put a lift on my buddies JK and he started running 33 inch tires on 3.21 gears and an automatic. He loved how it drove. I on the otherhand couldn’t stand driving it.

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
The feel of the shifter is the best I have experienced in wrangler. I guess that is not saying much, but it is greatly improved over every other previous generation. The two faults with the manual transmission are the gear ratios and the vague clutch. It is never the same grab point. The poor gear ratios in the transmission combined with a poor stock tune is frustrating at best. I have a Rubi and I cannot fathom how the combination of the manual transmission gears along with a 3.45 rear diff and poor tune doesn’t drive people crazy. I test drove one with this set up and it made me almost go with the auto.
The vague clutch engagement is made worse by the extremely sensitive gas pedal. Some starts are too slow and feel like its close to a stall, and others the engine revs too high before clutch engagement. Running 93 octane gas helps with the poor tune. The engine runs MUCH better at low RPM with 93. Those low RPM launches do not cause pinging on 93. I am getting more used to it, but its definitely not a good design. My 95 Cherokee and my 2005 Ram were easier to drive.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
On 3.45 or 4.10 gearing? If on 3.45 gears, I guess it all comes down to tolerance.

I put a lift on my buddies JK and he started running 33 inch tires on 3.21 gears and an automatic. He loved how it drove. I on the otherhand couldn’t stand driving it.
Whatever the stock gearing is... I'm an old fart and I've gone through my sports car days... I'm not really in a hurry these days since I'm well aware that what is at the end of the line is a dirt nap... Still, even lugging the JL around at 1000-2000 RPMs, I keep up (if not out accelerate) the majority of the cars on the streets around here. It's definitely not a peppy car at that low of an RPM range, so that just illustrates how slow some people drive. :)

The JL will most likely be the last car that I will buy before I die unless it gets totaled somewhere along the way. I absolutely *hate* automatic transmissions, so even though my wife said that if I get an manual, she won't be able to drive it, I intentionally got a manual. It's going to be my last damn vehicle and I'm going to enjoy it before I croak. Now, she actually knows how to drive a manual, but *refuses* to. She has her own car, not that she actually *needs* it since I end up driving her around nearly everywhere anyway.

If I offend all you little snowflakes with my honesty, all I can say is:

TOUGH!

If you live long enough, you can be a Grumpy Old Man also...

Now, get off my lawn, dammit!

Last edited:

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I've had Corvettes/Porsche/Pantera and BIG FORD F150 STICKS--I've used many different style/type/op design and after driving my JL--

IT operates fine all ya gotta do is LEARN, kinda like bowling/tennis/pool--you just setup a learn pattern--

WHATS THE PROBLEM--maybe you aren't aware that when you depress the clutch, it exerts the same pressure on the THROW OUT BEARING at 10 INCHES depression as it does at full depression all the way to the floor--that's a HUDRAULIOC CLUTCH SYSTEM--

SUP !
W.E.

JIMBO

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Whatever the stock gearing is... I'm an old fart and I've gone through my sports car days... I'm not really in a hurry these days since I'm well aware that what is at the end of the line is a dirt nap... Still, even lugging the JL around at 1000-2000 RPMs, I keep up (if not out accelerate) the majority of the cars on the streets around here. It's definitely not a peppy car at that low of an RPM range, so that just illustrates how slow some people drive. :)

The JL will most likely be the last car that I will buy before I die unless it gets totaled somewhere along the way. I absolutely *hate* automatic transmissions, so even though my wife said that if I get an manual, she won't be able to drive it, I intentionally got a manual. It's going to be my last damn vehicle and I'm going to enjoy it before I croak. Now, she actually knows how to drive a manual, but *refuses* to. She has her own car, not that she actually *needs* it since I end up driving her around nearly everywhere anyway.

If I offend all you little snowflakes with my honesty, all I can say is:

TOUGH!

If you live long enough, you can be a Grumpy Old Man also...

Now, get off my lawn, dammit!
I hope your JL brings you years of happiness.... you crabby old man. Lol

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Rev hang is when you depress the clutch pedal and the revs/rpms don’t immediately drop when the clutch is disengaged. There is a delay.
Ok. I don't really feel or hear that. It isn't much different from the behavior of the 3.8 in my JK. Maybe I shift quickly enough not to notice. I never noticed it and it has never bothered me.

The vague clutch engagement is made worse by the extremely sensitive gas pedal. Some starts are too slow and feel like its close to a stall, and others the engine revs too high before clutch engagement. Running 93 octane gas helps with the poor tune. The engine runs MUCH better at low RPM with 93. Those low RPM launches do not cause pinging on 93. I am getting more used to it, but its definitely not a good design. My 95 Cherokee and my 2005 Ram were easier to drive.
Yours may have a problem that needs a look. I don't feel any of that, at all. The clutch isn't vague, at all. It feels nearly as good as my brother's new ZL1 1LE Camaro's clutch. I don't have trouble feeling the throttle and getting it right where I need it for launch or upshifts, or downshifts, for that matter. I'd try to drive another to see if it is similar.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I hope your JL brings you years of happiness.... you crabby old man. Lol
Thanks, but I went past "crabby" a long time ago... Chronic pain kind of does that to you... If I had known back then what I know now... Well, I would have at least had more fun when I was doing it... :)

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
I would get a second opinion as this advice sounds a bit squirrelly and would not deter me from buying a manual if I wanted one.
Not really if you think about it. The reason my right foot became painful is that driving (gas and brake pedals) caused the foot to be used more than the left foot and thus caused inflammation in the Achilles tendon where it attached to the heel bone where the bone spur was. This was very painful and made walking very difficult. X-Ray of my left heel showed that I have a bone spur of the same size as I had on my right. Otherwise daily activity has not irritated the left heel so far, but putting the additional stress of driving a manual would put more stress on the heel and would eventually cause the same problem to occur in the left heel requiring surgery to eliminate. Occasional driving of a manual would not be enough, but daily would.
Sponsored