Sponsored

More GOOD about the new 6-speed Aisan trans!

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon m/t, 2002 Tracker 4x4, 2004 Winnebago 30B, 2005 Scion xB, various motorcycles
I learned/discovered this is a Synchromesh reverse AND it has the speed sensing blocking so you cannot get into reverse if you are over about 8 mph. Below that speed, it shifts into reverse just fine, while driving forward.

That is pure magic when you are working out the bottom of a big "snow hole" in the Rockies in wintertime. Growing up in Colorado mountains, I know for sure what it is worth.

A whole LOT! good job, Jeep, and thanks.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Teaching my newly permitted 16yr old to drive my JL. He discovered (accidentally) that you can pull the truck out of gear without depressing the clutch and nothing bad happens. Maybe all manuals are like that? I’ve never tried...

Anyway, I was happy that after, “Oops! I forgot to press the clutch!” I didn’t hear a cacophony of grinding gear sounds. (If he tried to put it into another gear I’m sure I would have.)

This trans is definitely conducive to teaching a new driver... very forgiving.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
You're right !

I drove 4/5/6 spd tranny's in my MUSCLE cars in the 60's/70's and auto's in my 4x4's and this 6-spd is one sweet tranny-

Another reason I got the stick in this jeep was the ability to do a "dump clutch" start with a dead battery--

It can't get much better than this-

good luck

JIMBO

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
You're right !

I drove 4/5/6 spd tranny's in my MUSCLE cars in the 60's/70's and auto's in my 4x4's and this 6-spd is one sweet tranny-

Another reason I got the stick in this jeep was the ability to do a "dump clutch" start with a dead battery--

It can't get much better than this-

good luck

JIMBO
I’m not sure you can bump start a dead JL by dumping the clutch while rolling. Theres some weird arrangement with a secondary battery that is disconnected from the primary battery (and I assume the alternator) during starting. Something to do with relay control voltage. Without this secondary battery energized, you can’t even jump start it, let alone bump start it.

Here’s where it gets stupid. If the primary battery dies with the engine off, it’s connected in parallel with the secondary battery which therefore will also be discharged. So there’s really no scenario where the main battery is discharged, the secondary battery is not, which makes jumping and bumping impossible.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
I've doneit--once you push the clutch all the way down/w the IGN button in 'RUN" an pop the clutch, while rolling the IGN ckt IS ON and the engine starts !

I done did it ---

JIMBO

Sponsored

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've doneit--once you push the clutch all the way down/w the IGN button in 'RUN" an pop the clutch, while rolling the IGN ckt IS ON and the engine starts !

I done did it ---

JIMBO
Did you do it with a dead battery?

If the secondary battery is charged, obviously you could bump start it for a gimmick, but to actually use that technique with a dead battery, sounds like it would be a different story.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

I done did it ---

JIMBO
Did you do it with a dead battery?

If the secondary battery is charged, obviously you could bump start it for a gimmick, but to actually use that technique with a dead battery, sounds like it would be a different story.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
No, my batteries were still "UP", but I'm not to worried about it working with one/both batteries "DEAD"-

Somebody will do that for us SOON, I'm pretty sure-

W.E.

JIMBO
Sponsored