The 6 Speed...

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
I’m lucky to be getting a JLR 6-spd since I’ll be upgrading from a 2000 TJ 5-spd. I already have both an GC Ecodiesel and Hellcat with A8s and love’m too!
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
The feel of the shifter is the best I have experienced in wrangler. I guess that is not saying much, but it is greatly improved over every other previous generation. The two faults with the manual transmission are the gear ratios and the vague clutch. It is never the same grab point. The poor gear ratios in the transmission combined with a poor stock tune is frustrating at best. I have a Rubi and I cannot fathom how the combination of the manual transmission gears along with a 3.45 rear diff and poor tune doesn’t drive people crazy. I test drove one with this set up and it made me almost go with the auto.

papertigers

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX, JLU Rubicon (soon)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Do you guys also experience a vibration feeling in the clutch pedal? I love my manual JLU but it definitely feels like I can feel something in the clutch when I engage. I saw another post on here where others reported the same.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Do you guys also experience a vibration feeling in the clutch pedal? I love my manual JLU but it definitely feels like I can feel something in the clutch when I engage. I saw another post on here where others reported the same.
No, I don’t.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, there is a little, but mostly I don't notice it. I think it is just a quirk. Every make/model of manual transmission has its own quirks here and there. I think that vibration is the price of the great feel it has. My Jk has none of that vibration, but it is so numb that the feel isn't great, either. Its quirks are in the feel of the shifter, shifter shake and vibration, and mechanical noises that come out of it at low rpms or at idle with the clutch engaged. JL FTW.

Actually, I never felt that slight vibration until I read about it here. That's the downside of forums. Lol!

Sponsored

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
The feel of the shifter is the best I have experienced in wrangler. I guess that is not saying much, but it is greatly improved over every other previous generation. The two faults with the manual transmission are the gear ratios and the vague clutch. It is never the same grab point. The poor gear ratios in the transmission combined with a poor stock tune is frustrating at best. I have a Rubi and I cannot fathom how the combination of the manual transmission gears along with a 3.45 rear diff and poor tune doesn’t drive people crazy. I test drove one with this set up and it made me almost go with the auto.
I agree 100%. The feel is great but it drives me nuts to drive the jeep with that hanging rpm. Sort of like driving a dirt bike never letting off the throttle while shifting

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Haven't ordered yet, but after driving a Sahara with the 3:45's, I'm sold on a Rubi without even driving one

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I agree 100%. The feel is great but it drives me nuts to drive the jeep with that hanging rpm. Sort of like driving a dirt bike never letting off the throttle while shifting
Is this the rev hang that people complain about on newer manual vehicles? I’ve read rev hang is designed in order to reduce emissions somehow.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Is this the rev hang that people complain about on newer manual vehicles? I’ve read rev hang is designed in order to reduce emissions somehow.
I'm not sure what that rev hang is. I don't feel or hear anything like what it sounds like. I think the 3.6 feels great with the manual, and it goes through the gears beautifully.

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
I'm not sure what that rev hang is. I don't feel or hear anything like what it sounds like. I think the 3.6 feels great with the manual, and it goes through the gears beautifully.
Rev hang is when you depress the clutch pedal and the revs/rpms don’t immediately drop when the clutch is disengaged. There is a delay.

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Haven't ordered yet, but after driving a Sahara with the 3:45's, I'm sold on a Rubi without even driving one
This is one of the reasons why I went with the Rubi. Sure, I could have bought a sport and re-geared, but I knew I was going to throw 33s on it, so when it was all told, it made sense to go with the JLR.

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
I was dead set on a 6 speed. All of my jeeps have been manuals but they were toys and I didn’t have to drive them everyday. I really wanted a daily driver so when I went with the JLUR, my natural choice would have been 6 speed, but I also have issues with my right shoulder. Once reality set in, I had to go with an auto. With that being said, the autostick mode performs like it should. First vehicle I’ve had that will hold a gear no matter how much throttle input you give it. That really helped sweeten the deal for for as when crawling, I need it to be predictable.
I was told by my podiatrist that if I get a new car it needs to be an automatic (all my others are). I had a bone spur removed from my right heel, and I have one just as big on my left heel that has never bothered me. Difference? I drive an automatic and my right foot is used alot. So he said if I get a manual, I WILL be having the bone spur removed from the left heel. And then I can't drive for many weeks. So on my JLU Rubicon I will be getting the automatic.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
I was told by my podiatrist that if I get a new car it needs to be an automatic (all my others are). I had a bone spur removed from my right heel, and I have one just as big on my left heel that has never bothered me. Difference? I drive an automatic and my right foot is used alot. So he said if I get a manual, I WILL be having the bone spur removed from the left heel. And then I can't drive for many weeks. So on my JLU Rubicon I will be getting the automatic.
Sorry to hear all that, but at you'll be part of the Brotherhood regardless

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
I feel the pain. About 9 years ago I blew out my ACL and fractured my femur and tibia. After I was put back together and able to walk again, i was feeling pretty good and made my way up into my crawler just to drive it. It was a manual and it was my left leg that was injured. Had a pretty soft clutch though. Happened to be going to physical therapy. My Pt was outside when I got there. He was not pleased but understood my needs in life, lol

Arkwhaler

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 6sp, Firecracker Red
I would get a second opinion as this advice sounds a bit squirrelly and would not deter me from buying a manual if I wanted one.
Sponsored