Teraflex ball joint question

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
So I'm replacing mine today. The old ones came out and definitely needed replacing.
I put in the bottom bj & then the top. After I got the top in, I noticed the grease zerk orientation was backwards and it doesn't look like the joint is seated properly..
Can I remove the brand new top joint to reposition the bottom joint?

20230120_125937.jpg
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
is the bottom one flush with the bottom of the knuckle all the way around? thats whats important.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
So I'm replacing mine today. The old ones came out and definitely needed replacing.
I put in the bottom bj & then the top. After I got the top in, I noticed the grease zerk orientation was backwards and it doesn't look like the joint is seated properly..
Can I remove the brand new top joint to reposition the bottom joint?

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex ball joint question 20230120_125937

Yes, you can pull them and reposition them.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Do you mean you removed the housing? I thought the point of those was that you didn't have to do that, only replace the internals.

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
This is typical and they do seat like this but you can set them without the pitch. A few YTs on this.

Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Do you mean you removed the housing? I thought the point of those was that you didn't have to do that, only replace the internals.
That's the Dynatrac ball joints. Not aware of the Teraflex joints being rebuildable while in the end forging.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
......and it doesn't look like the joint is seated properly..

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex ball joint question 20230120_125937
When you say it doesn't look like its seated properly, do you mean that groove on top looks to be at an angle?

is the bottom one flush with the bottom of the knuckle all the way around? thats whats important.
This right here^^^^

It's that bottom flange that needs to sit flush against the bottom of the C.

OP
OP
DEdney1775

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
I meant to get back on here a few days ago & offer thanks to all those that commented & helped. Yes, the bottoms are flush against the knuckles.

Not gonna lie, pulling those old ones out kicked my butt!! Definitely turned out to be an all day job in my garage. But, I saved hundreds doing it myself and learned more about my rig.

When I was putting it all back together, I installed 1" wheel spacers as well. I had to trim the original lug studs down about 1/2". I torqued the nuts down to 110fp and used blue thread locker.

Now, while driving, I'm noticing a little wobble around 30mph... I didn't have any wobble before the ball joint install. Everything was torqued to spec while putting it back together. I may get rid of the spacers & see if it smooths out the ride.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I meant to get back on here a few days ago & offer thanks to all those that commented & helped. Yes, the bottoms are flush against the knuckles.

Not gonna lie, pulling those old ones out kicked my butt!! Definitely turned out to be an all day job in my garage. But, I saved hundreds doing it myself and learned more about my rig.

When I was putting it all back together, I installed 1" wheel spacers as well. I had to trim the original lug studs down about 1/2". I torqued the nuts down to 110fp and used blue thread locker.

Now, while driving, I'm noticing a little wobble around 30mph... I didn't have any wobble before the ball joint install. Everything was torqued to spec while putting it back together. I may get rid of the spacers & see if it smooths out the ride.
Are those spacers hubcentric, like those from Borah and Synergy? That's an important part when it comes to wheel spacers. Also, torque specs call for 130lb/ft on the lug studs.

OP
OP
DEdney1775

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
yes, they're hubcentric. I'll re-torque them tonight when I get home. Thought I read 110 somewhere.. Thanks!

Sponsored

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Some wheels only state 100ftlb.. like my beadlocks.. So I have no doubt it varies.